Benchrest Scopes

I am not aware of any scope maker that is in the quality segment of the market that makes scopes that are not suitable for use by substantial numbers of shooters. As to scopes needing to be built so that they are immune to poorly aligned rings, the common practice of people being too ignorant or lazy to do a proper job of scope installation seems to be the real issue. The amount of POI movement that sorely vexes the benchrest community is so small as to be virtually indistinguishable in other, less critical types of shooting, and since benchrest is such a small part of the market, it should be delighted that anyone makes the effort to produce scopes to its standards at all. Fortunately some do. I understand that the IOR Valdada scopes have a good reputation in this area, as well as March, the older heavier Nightforce benchrest scopes, and the newer lighter 42X fixed power, to name a few. Apologies for any omissions. We also have affordable means to test scopes. As to thermal stress, given that we have the use of sighter targets, once a rifle has come up or down to ambient temperature, simply loosening and re-tightening a ring cap will serve to minimize that problem.

Andy If scope makers are making a scope that wont work with a substantial number of users eyes and can be warped in rings or bases that come on production and custom rifles . Who are they making scopes for? They need to work in the real world, with real people. If all of these reasons you are giving are the real reason for scope failures, or how ever you want to say it, then they are building a product that doesn't meet the needs of the customers. You would think at least one manufacturer would know this and redesign the scope to work around these issues and produce a scope that held POI. You also said that on 3 companies make optical glass and the glass isn't the reason some are clearer than others. Does this mean that all of these companies make glass that is of exactly the same quality? I don't understand why a scope you pay so much money has to have so many excuses made for it.

In 98 percent of the shooting community, it is a non issue. 1/8 minute of angle movement is a moot point.

Benchrest is different, especially in the Short Range version. It is easily the difference in a Rifle shooting sub .200 aggs, and .300+ aggs.

As I have said, I have had most of the major scope brands used in Bechrest apart. I know the flaws in the various designs, and what can go wrong over time. Very little of it has anything to do with optics. It's a mechanical issue.

March Scope creation

In 2005 my friend and neighbor, Turk Takano, let me use one of the first two MARCH scope prototypes that came into the US. in a registered 100-200yd Match at new Braunsfels,Tx. At the time, I called the scope the “No Name Scope”. It had no name or serial number. As I recall,I finished pretty high up in the rankings,after two days of shooting.

The Story That I was told about the Scopes creation is slightly different from Boyd’s. I think it’s important to share it with Forum visitors. You wont hear a similar story from any of the other Competition scope designers/builders.

This story is published in Mike Ratigan’s Book,”Extreme Rifle Accuracy”

Dr Yuzuru Nagayama, a Friend of Turk Takano, from Japan, invested the money to design and build a scope that specifically addressed the nagging problem of shifting POA. This project was started and finished by Dr Nagayama in cooperation with Deon Optics. Dr Nagayama built three prototypes. He sent two to Turk and he kept one. I used one of Turk’s prototype’s in several registered matches. I am just an average shooter but I immediately noticed an improvement in my Aggs.

Turk Takano was constantly giving feed back to Dr Nagayama throughout the Scope development stages. Minor design changes were incorporated during this period. Turk’s first language is Japanese. His valuable input is undeniable.

I am delighted that I got an opportunity to participate in the pre-introduction stages of the March scopes.

In Early 2006,I got one of the first March Scopes that came into the US. Serial Number 004. The name “March” was chosen because Dr Nagayama’s birthday is in the month of March. I was told that Dr Nagayama passed away last year.

Mr Lou Murdica made an important personal financial commitment ,that made it possible for the March Scope to be imported to the US Market. A Big thank you to Lou Murdica. Money talks and BS walks.

I am still a big fan of March Scopes. As far as I can tell, I haven’t had any issues with Shifting POA.
This story may benefit the OP’s decision on which scope to buy.

Glenn

80 x march

Has anyone ever used the March 80 x for benchrest .

It's mechanical

In 98 percent of the shooting community, it is a non issue. 1/8 minute of angle movement is a moot point.

Benchrest is different, especially in the Short Range version. It is easily the difference in a Rifle shooting sub .200 aggs, and .300+ aggs.

As I have said, I have had most of the major scope brands used in Bechrest apart. I know the flaws in the various designs, and what can go wrong over time. Very little of it has anything to do with optics. It's a mechanical issue.

Thank - you Jackie

Business & money

Andy If scope makers are making a scope that wont work with a substantial number of users eyes and can be warped in rings or bases that come on production and custom rifles . Who are they making scopes for? They need to work in the real world, with real people. If all of these reasons you are giving are the real reason for scope failures, or how ever you want to say it, then they are building a product that doesn't meet the needs of the customers. You would think at least one manufacturer would know this and redesign the scope to work around these issues and produce a scope that held POI. You also said that on 3 companies make optical glass and the glass isn't the reason some are clearer than others. Does this mean that all of these companies make glass that is of exactly the same quality? I don't understand why a scope you pay so much money has to have so many excuses made for it.

The reason any company is in business is to make a profit. BR makes up such a small portion of their business if they bother with it at all. Our whining doesn't rate as a problem. There are a few companies who try. But as Jackie stated in another post the one weak link is mechanical when it comes to POI shifts. As I also mentioned this too can be solved once and for all if you were to throw enough money at it. If NASA needed such an instrument where size weight and performance were all issues it could be done. But most shooters couldn't afford to purchase it.

Back