Benchrest History Thread

Mike, thanks for taking time to list the names you recognize. About how old do you suppose that photo is, 20 yrs?

I don't remember what year that was and haven't located where I stuck my nationals patches to tell. Harold Broughton passed away February 1, 2004. So was a few years before then anyway. Found my patch from that event. That was the 1999 NBRSA nationals at Raton, NM.

Last edited:
Dan Kinniman sitting to the right of Jeff Folwer, Terry Donaldson to Bill Brawand immediate left, in other words to the right of Bill.

Dan Kinniman sitting to the right of Jeff Folwer, Terry Donaldson to Bill Brawand immediate left, in other words to the right of Bill.

Bill, do I have them listed correctly now? The left and right thing gets a little confusing when looking at photos. The persons left and right or the photos left and right. With all the dark glasses, it's pretty hard to recognize people in a photo that was taken 17 years ago. If anyone has names identifying people let me know and I'll add them to the list I posted. If I can find the negative, I'll see if I can get a poster sized version of the photo made.

This is what I have found, left to right,

Dan Kinniman to the right of Jeff Fowler
Terry Donaldson to the right of Bill Brawand
Dan Dowling to the left of Manny Garcia
Bill Dryfield to the right of Ron Hoehn, I think that is Bill, almost sure.
Neil Jones to the right of Cecil Tucker
Steve Theye to the left of Cecil and down
Pat Canning behind Don Gentner to the left

Bill, I thought that looked like Neil Jones at first too, but think that may be Pat Byrne with a beard as he is right behind Vicki Beard. On the right side of the photo there is someone who looks a lot like Neil. I started a new thread trying to identify these photos rather than take up space in the original thread.

History

I keep saying it. History is very important to the Sport. The people,the times, the events, says a lot about where it all began and where its headed.

There must be a way to archive(preserve) the information in this thread. Give it a special place for future reference. This Forum is a great place to start.

Keep it going.

Glenn

The story of how drawing for benches came to be as told by H.L. Culver (Precision Shooting, December 1989):

“Dear Dave,

In the October issue, page #38, yes, that is indeed Edith Culver, as you speculate that it may be. I not only recognize her, but the front rest, the cartridge block, and the action on the rifle (which I made). In fact I made that whole rifle, except for the barrel of course. The lady shooting next to her is Bernice McMullen, who used to be the secretary of the NBRSA.
A little story on who started the idea of “drawing for benches”. When we started shooting in 1951, Edith noticed that certain shooters always got the number one bench at Dubois and Johnstown. Both benches were relatively protected from the wind…at Johnstown by a row of trees and at Dubois by a high bank. While not popular, as an idea, with the shooters at large, they just accepted the fact that this was the way things are. Not Edith. She promptly went off looking for Ed McNalley who was then NBRSA President and demanded to know why we didn’t draw for benches. Well, old Ed just about swallowed his chewing tobacco. This was going to upset certain elements of the insiders….specifically the ones perched on those preferred benches. Nonetheless, in fairness to the gentleman, he came to think it was a good idea and backed it. Bob Hart became involved in the matter….which had folks all agitated on both sides of the argument….and helped put it through.
The fellow who had previously always had bench one got his nose all out of joint over this and shortly thereafter dropped out of the benchrest game. I suspect you would know who this was David (Editor: Yes, the gentleman came from Maine).

Homer L. Culver
1219 North Stuart Street
Arlington, VA 22201

Left – Edith Culver, Right – Bernice McMullen

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Original Very Early Stolle Built Rifle and McMillan 222.5 in the Classifieds!

Benchrest history fans if your looking to collect a couple vintage benchrest rifles I would check the two I just listed in the classifieds here on Benchrest Central before I list them on the other gun sites. The Stolle Panda is a very early gun and the very first one made in 1975! Ralph made only a few complete rifles with the beautiful laminated wood thumbhole stocks. It is like new with three barrels and a vintage Lyman All American scope. This was the benchrest shooters dream rifle of the day. It would be very hard to find one this nice and is a rare opportunity to own one.

The second rifle is a beautiful sleeved XP-100 McMillan built rifle in the old classic 222.5. Fantastic laminated walnut stock and a beautiful sleeve. (scope extra)

Check them out in the classifies.

Thanks,
High Noon

Attachments

• P1010650.JPG
    P1010650.JPG
    156 KB · Views: 578
  • P1010651.JPG
    P1010651.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 569
Lee Martin, wish you lived in my area, as you know I am trying to get pictures and that one of Edith Culver went into the mix. I am really trying to get a lot of the older pictures. Send the names you have and I will let you know if I have them.
Bill
bill.gammon@bell.net

Building the Johnstown clubhouse, circa mid-1950s (earlier I stated 48/49 - thanks to a member for noting the '54 Chevy in photo #2).

The gentleman on the far left facing the camera is Harvey Donaldson.

Some notable folks in the group shot: absolute far left is Warren Page. The first row contains Harvey Donaldson and Jerry Southard is fourth from the left. The two back rows contain Bob & Clyde Hart, Frank Hubbard, Sam Wilson, Ruth McMillan and Crawf Hollidge.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
Barrel maker Buhmiller and our own Jim Carmichel

2wpi22s.jpg

These men have been at the SS since the beginning. I believe that the three seated have made every SS. James Sorry, I did not include the names of these Icons. Standing is Skip Gordon, who first had the idea of a Super Shoot. Seated are George Kelbly, Sr., Stan Buchtel, and Bob White. These men can have a lot of memories to share when they get together.

Attachments

• SS XXXIX 013-1 (1).JPG
    SS XXXIX 013-1 (1).JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:
Al Marciante Marciante Blue Streak

I realize that this is an old thread, I just found it while doing a Goggle search of the Marciante Blue Streak. Everyone seams to think it was Al that named it, but it was grandma who named the cartridge the "Blue Streak." She would often accompany her husband Al to the range. While she was sitting and crocheting she noticed the vapor trail and pointed it out to her husband. While I did not know Al Marciante I do have fond memories of "Grandma". I would talk with her when I would go to visit her son Walt. Walt also a gunsmith had collected quite a few of the rifles that his father built over the years. I spent many hours at the range shooting with Walt. He showed me a record target that his father shoot many years before. Even though the record had been broken years ago it was still impressive to see that along with he certificate that was with it. It was in a frame that hung in his basement. I believe it was the smallest group fired at 100 yards.( at the time) Walt showed me how to set up my first Lee press and the proper way to bench shoot, not to mention how to do a trigger job etc.. Boy those were some fun times. I didn't realize at the time that those days were destine to become the "good ol days"
Happy Shooting

I've gone through more than half of the posts and if I missed mention of this book, I apologize.

For those interested in bench rest history, a good book is "THE ACCURATE RIFLE" by Warren Page. It's well worth finding IMO.

OK superdave269 where are the photos. I have some of Al, but that is all, the photos I have, and are going through are of the shooters and their wives. To Doubs, I have 3 of Warren's book, 2 are for sale and very reasonable priced. I am going to put them in items for sale. I may be contacted at bill.gammon@rogers.com

I realize that this is an old thread, I just found it while doing a Goggle search of the Marciante Blue Streak. Everyone seams to think it was Al that named it, but it was grandma who named the cartridge the "Blue Streak." She would often accompany her husband Al to the range. While she was sitting and crocheting she noticed the vapor trail and pointed it out to her husband. While I did not know Al Marciante I do have fond memories of "Grandma". I would talk with her when I would go to visit her son Walt. Walt also a gunsmith had collected quite a few of the rifles that his father built over the years. I spent many hours at the range shooting with Walt. He showed me a record target that his father shoot many years before. Even though the record had been broken years ago it was still impressive to see that along with he certificate that was with it. It was in a frame that hung in his basement. I believe it was the smallest group fired at 100 yards.( at the time) Walt showed me how to set up my first Lee press and the proper way to bench shoot, not to mention how to do a trigger job etc.. Boy those were some fun times. I didn't realize at the time that those days were destine to become the "good ol days"
Happy Shooting

Neat history and thanks for sharing that. My dad built a .22 Marciante Blue Streak on a Falling Works action. We've been shooting it for 20+ years and it's a fine cartridge.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Back