Benchrest gunsmith vs gunsmith

Bench Rest Gunsmith

Jackie put it very well. One thing I would mention: There are some very successful "Benchrest" gunsmiths that know how to build winning rifles and specialize in those things that matter for serious Benchrest competition, and not so much on non-Benchrest things. If you want a long range hunting rifle that feeds reliably from the magazine and has beefed up scope mounting and other things important to hunting rifles you may be best served by a guy that specializes in just that. No one guy can be the best at everything. There are a number of winning Benchrest smiths that do make a living building as many hunting rifles as they do competition guns, and they tend to be very busy.

Last edited:
After some filtering through all the media/advertising minutia with the handful of custom action makers, I have narrowed it down to two we’ll know , recommended, gunsmiths that are on 6mmbr.com/accurate’s website. Actually spoke with one of them on phone. Taught me a lot just on how to approach the gunsmith/company who will build my Benchrest rifle. I just need to figure out, research, which yardage/meters I think I want to shoot. 6PPC or 6BR. Fantasy says 6BR, but in all reality 6PPC since that in all practicality is what I most likely be able to focus on since that is what is available to me at the ranges I shoot or are near me, such as and if I were to ever become a member of, Tomball or another private club.

I updated this part as I had to leave for something when typing this earlier.

I still have a lot on my list to learn. Two things as of right now are; reading flags and loading at the bench or tuning my loads at the bench. These are the two things I believe will allow me to get closer to making sure my rifle is holding me back, at this point I will order my new Benchrest rifle in what appears in all honesty as of the moment, a 6PPC.

The two actions/gunsmiths I’m considering Kelbly’s panda or a Borden. Panda because of the research, and Borden, because when I think Benchrest, all I can remember since I was a young boy is my father talking about Borden. I’m sure either one will allow me to grow to become the best I can be for many, many barrels.

Last edited:
First Benchrest Rifle

You're on the right track. We have seen many shooters post here with a general idea of a BR rifle without having it narrowed down to a particular type of competition. The result can easily end up being a lovely rifle that either is the wrong cartridge to be competitive or doesn't meet the rules for the class the shooter ends up wanting to shoot.

I did some checking on where you are located at Cypress, TX and how close the ranges are that hold registered matches to you. Texas is a big state and where you are located, you're about like me in that your closest range is in the Mid Continent region instead of in the Gulf Coast region. You are about 186 miles more or less from the range at Pencil Bluff, Arkansas, Ouachita Sportsmen's Club. 244 miles to Tomball. 352 to New Braunfels. The closest range would be Denton at 124 miles, but until someone steps up to hold matches there, there are no registered matches scheduled there. They may still have club matches there. Lots of ranges hold club matches that aren't registered. I don't know what dates and where those are. The Pencil Bluff match is scheduled for August 4 & 5th and it is a LV & HV match. For short range 100, 200 and 300 yards group shooting the 6 PPC has been the king longer than I've been shooting coming into preeminence in the late 70's. The 6 BR or one of its many variations has pretty well been the long range caliber of choice for 600 on out to 1000. Hard to go wrong with the .30 BR if you're going to shoot score.

matches

webphut
I want to extend and invitation to shoot with us in Arkansas.
we are a small club and this can be of help as you learn the ropes.
we plan on a club shoot in april.
ray

It's typical that Mike Bryant would post about the ranges that are close for the IP and try to help him in that way and not mention that he's one of the best BR gunsmiths in the country. He builds very competitive rifles for a bunch of folks!!

CALL MIKE, he's one of the best BR smiths in the country!!

He's in Wheeler TX

webphut
I want to extend and invitation to shoot with us in Arkansas.
we are a small club and this can be of help as you learn the ropes.
we plan on a club shoot in april.
ray

Thank you. I am unable to commit right now, gotta discuss it with wife first, Four grade school daughters and full time dad. If I am lucky I will give you a heads up if I will be able to make it up there. I would love to see that.

I am actually about 20 minutes from Tomball gun clubs range, but yes you are correct not really any official matches here for NBRSA or IBS, that I am aware of. I would love a recognized match locally, but according to what a few public ranges have mentioned to me, not enough time, man power and profit. We relocated out here from California to give the kids a more conservative upbringing, with that, it did not matter how hard I tried to convince my wife, any neighborhood schools that are near Camp Perry are not conservative enough apparently and no family there...lol. Happy wife happy life.

It's typical that Mike Bryant would post about the ranges that are close for the IP and try to help him in that way and not mention that he's one of the best BR gunsmiths in the country. He builds very competitive rifles for a bunch of folks!!

He's in Wheeler TX

How funny is that:)
I spoke to I believe his wife last week. I just now put two and two together after I replied to what he wrote above.

Mike Bryant Benchrest Gunsmith

He's in Wheeler TX

I would concur.

He's in Wheeler TX

Mike has built me both BR and hunting rifles. First rate work!

He's in Wheeler TX

Thank You Pablo...... somebody hadda' say it and you said it ... very well :)

I just happened to notice

a pop up ad that says Wayne Campbell is a Benchrest Gunsmith. Considering how it seems to be going for him as of lately, mebby he might fill the bill?

I also wonder about the guys who don''t hold themselves out to be Benchrest Gunsmiths but seem to build stuff for themselves that win matches. What would be an appropriate title for them? Perhaps "Self" is enough?

Pete

The thing about when people start doing their own barrels themselves is that they can have barrels installed on their time schedule and not their gunsmiths. They will also go through more barrels as they have just taken out part of the cost of having a barrel replaced. Of course, that cost savings is eaten up by the cost of the machinery and tooling needed. It’s kind of the same thing as going to the matches in a motorhome, it’s not a cost savings thing, but all for the sake of convenience.

I'd agree 100 percent

The thing about when people start doing their own barrels themselves is that they can have barrels installed on their time schedule and not their gunsmiths. They will also go through more barrels as they have just taken out part of the cost of having a barrel replaced. Of course, that cost savings is eaten up by the cost of the machinery and tooling needed. It’s kind of the same thing as going to the matches in a motorhome, it’s not a cost savings thing, but all for the sake of convenience.

Having had the good fortune of buying a great, well equipped SB 10L back in 1968, not realizing what a gem it was and having kept it until just last year, I had put myself in a pretty good position to be able to do my own. Thanks to the exchange of information here and on YouTube and practice on stubs, been able to satisfy myself on the work I do. I am at the end of my shooting career now but I sure wish I hadn't waited so long to try doing my own. I wasted a lot of time waiting months for barrels to be fitted back when I needed them.

AND, it's fun. I will be the first to say, I don't come to Machining naturally and am sometimes ham fisted with it but the result is good enough for my needs.

Over the years I have seen some terribly botched jobs come from some Benchrest Gunsmiths of some note, in their times so I figured what the hey. I have experienced and seen other barrels with shoulders that were not perpendicular to the action, resulting in loose barrels and chasing tune for months. It is unconscionable and difficult to understand how that was even possible but I have seen it on two of my rifles and at least two of my friends rifles. How can that even happen? Tends to disillusion one from titles.

Pete

I can"t take the credit

Cost saving? Are you kidding me? Why, for $15,000.00 you too can have a lathe and save $150.00 per barrel for "installation". It's all about cost saving.
I have a nifty Hunter/ Varmint Hunter rig originally set up by Master Peter Wass. I can't type fast enough to tell you all the titles it has won. Now, I must say we have also done some work on it but it just plain shoots. Some rifles do that.

for that one F. Gary Long built that one. One of my few regrets was selling that rifle. I had three rifles at the time that were lasers and thought they all were. I learned differently later.

Pete

Last edited:
Back