Benchmark

Q

qewing

I find myself in possession of a pound of Benchmark, which I intend to try in a. 22-250 with 52 gr. Bullets. I find that loading data is pretty sketchy. Hodgdon gives two loads: 32.5 gr. for 3,602 fps, pressure 45,800 lbs and 34.6 gr. for 3,755 fps, pressure 49,800 lbs. I understand that Benchmark is faster burning than the powders I have tried so far. The gun shoots in the .2s with an occasional .150. Does anyone have experience with Benchmark and can recommend other loads? I don't know if I need 3,600 fps and up. It seems like about 3,450 fps has given the best results thus far.

Come on guys. I know the reluctance to share reloading data, but I know what I am doing. I know to work up to max loads. Surely someone has shot Benchmark in a. 22-250. What was your experience? Should I just expose of this powdwe? Can I use it for anything else? .218 Bee? 6ppc? My Sierra manual does not help.

I have never shot benchmark in a 22/250 with lighter bullets I found that the best powder was 4895, With heavier bullets I liked 4350. I have shot benchmark in a 243 win and it worked well with 70 gr bullets. Benchmark has a burn rate close to H332, so it would work in a 6 PPC. I had excellent luck with it in 204 Ruger.

If it shoots .15 or .2 groups why do you wanna change the load? I cant agg that in my bench rifle.
Well, good point. It doesn't exactly agg those groups, just shoots them often with some loads. I am just looking to do better, and I enjoy the trying. Speaking of which, I think I will try the Benchmark in a 6 ppc and forget about using it in the. 22-250. I don't think it is suitable, and I have found some 760.

H4895. 35-35.5 grs, with 55 gr Sierra GameKing # 1365 is bad nasty for georgia whitetails, I also use H380 with 52 gr Scheider Match FB Bullets for paper, ,, most 22-250's like it on the hot side,,, don't be afraid to use LOTS of jump too,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

From the Berger Reloading manual:

The Berger manual lists a starting load of 30.5 grains and a max of 34.0 with 52 grain bullets. For 55 grainers they show a start load of 30 grains and a max of 33.6. They suggest an approximate maximum velocity of 3731 with the 52 grainers and 3660 with the 55s. Most of the older manuals show loads for IMR 3031, which is faster than Benchmark.

There are a lot of combinations of faster than optimum powders that produce excellent results. The only way for you to know if your rifle will like any particular powder is to test it yourself. I would try it.

Scott Roeder

We have two versions of Benchmark in Australia (where the stuff is actually made).
What you call Benchmark is known as Benchmark Two down under.

The usual load for a 22/250 is 33.5 gns under any good 52/53 gn bullet.

It is great in a 6PPC, and one of only a few powders that will push a 67gn pill to 3400fps without stretching everything.
Loads start around 29.5gns and go as high as you dare observing the usual safety precautions. I use 30.4gn.

ADI have a website with a full reloading chart section for all calibres.

ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide
adi-powders.com.au/‎

Brendan Atkinson

Last edited:
I've used Benchmark in smaller cases for their caliber (6x47, 6mm/222 Mag) and .222. For the .22-250 it seems that slower powders like 4895, RL-15 would be better, and were what I used when I had a .22-250. A powder that comes close to filling the case usually gives more reliable accuracy than a faster powder that fills the case 90% because the powder is forced to assume a similar position from shot to shot with the slower powder.

We have two versions of Benchmark in Australia (where the stuff is actually made).
What you call Benchmark is known as Benchmark Two down under.

The usual load for a 22/250 is 33.5 gns under any good 52/53 gn bullet.

It is great in a 6PPC, and one of only a few powders that will push a 67gn pill to 3400fps without stretching everything.
Loads start around 29.5gns and go as high as you dare observing the usual safety precautions. I use 30.4gn.

ADI have a website with a full reloading chart section for all calibres.

ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide
adi-powders.com.au/‎

Brendan Atkinson
Thanks for the ADI info. I can certainly use the reloading data.

Back