bedding chamber area in front of recoil lug

about action flex and scores. If you look at the IBS records, Al Kogoy Jr holds the Hunter record for 100 yds with a 250-24X. I think what this tells one is that it's what happens out ahead of the bolt face that matters and should be thought about. I wouldn't go so far as to worry about any of it.

Pete

So clear it up for me Pete.....

Are saying "A" that a Bench Rest gun will shoot just as good no matter how it's bedded?

Or that "B" for Hunter Bench Rest you don't really need a gun that shoots all that good?

bedding chamber area

about action flex and scores. If you look at the IBS records, Al Kogoy Jr holds the Hunter record for 100 yds with a 250-24X. I think what this tells one is that it's what happens out ahead of the bolt face that matters and should be thought about. I wouldn't go so far as to worry about any of it.

Pete

That is what I gleaned from this whole thread from those responding. That is to say there are forces to be considered ahead of the bolt face that need to be considered for the extreme accuracy required in competition. Conventional pillar bedding, while adequate for many, can be improved upon by gluing the action into the stock. In my particular case, it would not warrant gluing my actions in as the accuracy I seek is not the same required in serious competition. Is that the point you were trying to get across? Thanks for the input.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
bedding chamber area

So clear it up for me Pete.....

Are saying "A" that a Bench Rest gun will shoot just as good no matter how it's bedded?

Or that "B" for Hunter Bench Rest you don't really need a gun that shoots all that good?

Al,
Allow me to interject. From Pete's response he acknowledges there are forces at work beyond the bolt face that need to be taken into account for extreme accuracy. Conventional bedding does not deal with all of those forces while a glue in does. I believe he is saying that in my particular example, what I have is sufficient. Sound about right? Gotta admit I learned from this thread about issues I would have never considered and thank you for your input. In my case PA groundhogs are still at risk and I can compete in informal groundhog matches as well as shoot small groups at the range(s) with what I have.

I'm a total amateur in this domain of benchrest shooting, but I've had the same concern in connection with a Sako A1-action 6 PPC varmint rifle. On the carton, the word "Bench" has been written in, and so I'm assuming that this was the use envisioned for the rifle. The barrel is heavy, tapering slightly from about 1.04" at the receiver to .870" at the muzzle. The A1 action is the single-shot version, so should be a little stiffer than the magazine version. The rifle came from the factory with the barrel free-floating all the way out, with no support ahead of the receiver/barrel joint. I haven't had it pillar- or glass-bedded yet--just original wood bedding of the action. I've wondered whether I might experience barrel droop with this rifle. The rifle is unfired, and I'm getting set up to load up some rounds for it. Will this heavy barrel cause a problem when hanging unsupported from the relative-svelte Sako A1 action?

Last edited:
Sako A1 action

I'm a total amateur in this domain of benchrest shooting, but I've had the same concern in connection with a Sako A1-action 6 PPC varmint rifle. On the carton, the word "Bench" has been written in, and so I'm assuming that this was the use envisioned for the rifle. The barrel is heavy, tapering slightly from about 1.04" at the receiver to .870" at the muzzle. The A1 action is the single-shot version, so should be a little stiffer than the magazine version. The rifle came from the factory with the barrel free-floating all the way out, with no support ahead of the receiver/barrel joint. I haven't had it pillar- or glass-bedded yet--just original wood bedding of the action. I've wondered whether I might experience barrel droop with this rifle. The rifle is unfired, and I'm getting set up to load up some rounds for it. Will this heavy barrel cause a problem when hanging unsupported from the relative-svelte Sako A1 action?

I have the .223 version of that same model. It is not bedded, the barrel is fully floated and is the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. I would not touch a thing if I were you. Does it have the trigger guard with the holes for adjusting the trigger?

I have the .223 version of that same model. It is not bedded, the barrel is fully floated and is the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. I would not touch a thing if I were you. Does it have the trigger guard with the holes for adjusting the trigger?
Chino69, yes it has the holes in the trigger guard and the Sako target trigger. In connection with the latter, does yours have that trigger? If so, how low have you been able to get the weight of pull? I followed the instruction page for the target trigger that came with the rifle and have been able to get it down to about 10 oz., but no lower. I backed out the pull weight screw until it fell out, and the pull weight was about 6 oz. with no pressure from the screw on the spring. However, it failed to cock on some tries, so I re-inserted the screw and turned it down until it cocked every time. This was at about 10 oz. I'm wondering whether it can be improved on somewhat. This is not really a competitive bench gun, but I thought I'd try it out with some local guys that shoot benchrest. A 10-oz. trigger, however, is not something that will be helpful.

I have three Coopers. They all are bedded a little ahead of the action, for what it's worth. They all have triggers that go down to 10 ounces and no lower. I also have two real benchrest rifles, fully floated, which I bought used. They are more accurate than my Coopers, and they both have 1.5 ounce Jewell triggers. I don't think any of this proves anything other than "buy what you want." I can see myself wanting a Sako 6 PPC with a 10 ounce trigger if it spoke to me. I only have one wife, but something about her spoke to me, so here we are.

Sako A1 action

Chino69, yes it has the holes in the trigger guard and the Sako target trigger. In connection with the latter, does yours have that trigger? If so, how low have you been able to get the weight of pull? I followed the instruction page for the target trigger that came with the rifle and have been able to get it down to about 10 oz., but no lower. I backed out the pull weight screw until it fell out, and the pull weight was about 6 oz. with no pressure from the screw on the spring. However, it failed to cock on some tries, so I re-inserted the screw and turned it down until it cocked every time. This was at about 10 oz. I'm wondering whether it can be improved on somewhat. This is not really a competitive bench gun, but I thought I'd try it out with some local guys that shoot benchrest. A 10-oz. trigger, however, is not something that will be helpful.

Yes, mine has the holes and that trigger. I replaced that trigger with a Timney that was given to me. That trigger, as I recall, was very nice and I forget what I had it adjusted to. I still have it. As I recall it was more like a two stage trigger. Once the slack was taken out it broke cleanly. That rifle has shot some very tight groups. Was yours imported by Stoeger? I have considered getting one chambered in 6 PPC but the cost is right up there and not in the budget.

Yes, mine has the holes and that trigger. I replaced that trigger with a Timney that was given to me. That trigger, as I recall, was very nice and I forget what I had it adjusted to. I still have it. As I recall it was more like a two stage trigger. Once the slack was taken out it broke cleanly. That rifle has shot some very tight groups. Was yours imported by Stoeger? I have considered getting one chambered in 6 PPC but the cost is right up there and not in the budget.
I'm not completely certain about that as there is nothing on the rifle indicating the importer. However, Stoeger Canada has been the Canadian distributor of Sako rifles for decades, so it probably was imported by Stoeger.

Just out of curiosity, why did you replace the Sako target trigger with the Timney? Perhaps because it acted like a 2-stage? According to their literature, the Timney replacement for Sako actions is only adjustable down to 1.5 lbs. Mine functions as a very crisp single-stage trigger.

It's a shame that Bix'n Andy haven't configured their trigger for the L- and A-series Sako actions. They have triggers for the later Sako actions--the 75s and 85s--but not for the earlier actions.

Last edited:
Sako trigger

I'm not completely certain about that as there is nothing on the rifle indicating the importer. However, Stoeger Canada has been the Canadian distributor of Sako rifles for decades, so it probably was imported by Stoeger.

Just out of curiosity, why did you replace the Sako target trigger with the Timney? Perhaps because it acted like a 2-stage? According to their literature, the Timney replacement for Sako actions is only adjustable down to 1.5 lbs. Mine functions as a very crisp single-stage trigger.

It's a shame that Bix'n Andy haven't configured their trigger for the L- and A-series Sako actions. They have triggers for the later Sako actions--the 75s and 85s--but not for the earlier actions.

The only reason I replaced the original trigger with the Timney was the Timney was given to me for free. The original trigger was perfectly acceptable. The Timney breaks at 1 1/4 lbs like glass. My barrel, on the underside near end of forearm, says imported by Stoeger. I still have the original box with the various calibers listed. They are; .222 Rem., .223 Rem., .17 Rem., 6 mm PPC, 22 PPC.

I bed switch barrel setups to the recoil lug. I bed long range hunting rifles an inch or so in front of the recoil lug. I’ve tested different bedding setups on the same rifles to test the difference and found nothing out to 1k. Just my experience

Back