bbl polishing/removing a linear scratch

M

mike in co

ok the saga continues.
interarms mark X, 7 x 57.
the bbl( now removed from the action) was a nice blue, but the previous owner/smith/what ever, sanded a section in the middle of the bbl, and scratched the length about 12" on either side. i'm guessing some screw up while doing his "great" full length bedding.
i need to do some work on the bbl. it is mounted in the lathe with brass crown protector.
i have done some light sanding...and still have a visible scratch...tho much finer/smaller.
should i just get it bead blasted and stop removing metal ? or keep at it , and get it re-blued ??

its got good wood that also need refinishing( what you don't like STEEL WOOL in your stock finish ??).

mike in co

Scratches

mike these scratches must be in the area of the stock . I can not imagine anyone being able to scratch the barrel that bad, that you have to worry about sanding to deep . you should be able to file if need be then blend evreything back in with sand paper . Providing you have the knowledge to do so draw file the area but you must follow the radius of the barrel to blend to avoid flat spots . I do this routinely in my bluing process on rifles and shotguns with a little hand work and then finish on my buffer . But it can be achieved by hand filing and sanding if you don't have a lathe alot of hand sanding . www.therifler.com P.S did I mention I am doing the same type of rifle right now in my shop same cal . total restoration .

I have a Mark X with a name and social security number electropenciled into the barrel! When I get something like this, I take the barrel off and use a barrel spinner against a 2" belt sander (Knife grinder) to get it cleaned up, then reblue.

Clemson

Back