BAT Replacement Firing Pin Springs

Have been hearing that there is need for replacement BAT springs.

Going to bring some replacement firing pin springs to the Super Shoot.

If you have interest please PM me here or send me an email at smallcaliber@yahoo.com

Will have both sizes for new and old styles.

Same springs that Dwight Scott uses.

Thanks, Kip

Other than an obviously broken spring, how would I know that a spring needs to be replaced?

It is pretty easy to check the firing spring poundage. I glued a thin pad to a small (3" x 2.5") block of wood with a hole in the middle big enough for the firing pin to fit in but small enough that the flat part can rest on it. (I don't know what the flat part is called) Take the firing pin out of the bolt (leave the spring and shroud on). The block of wood is on the scale and the firing pin is vertical on top of the block of wood. Zero the scale then push down on the back of the firing pin and read the scale until it "breaks" You'll want to do it several times to get a decent average. If it is low - then you need to replace your spring.

The question is - what is low? Based on recommendations of others - I have BAT 3 Lug(s) and the spring should be around 20 - 24 lbs. BAT's light spring for the 3 lug is around 19 lbs and their heavy spring is around 24 lbs. I do not know if that is the recommended poundage for other actions or not.

Last year - I was shooting pretty good with my LV rifle, but stinking the place up with my HV. I could not figure out what was going on until I tested my spring pressure. If I remember correctly, It was down around 14. I do not understand the science of it - but I am told that causes inconsistent firing - which is bad juju.

Hope this helps. Sorry my terminology is not very good. I will look up the correct terms and also double check my numbers to make sure they are correct and fix this later.
Note: numbers are correct - terminology still is bad.

Stanley

Last edited:
Other than an obviously broken spring, how would I know that a spring needs to be replaced?

Oh about 5K-10K rounds fired.
You might, also want to check your triggers. Take them apart. YES! Take them apart. It's only 6 screws and 2 "E" clips. Use a good screw driver bit.
Well there are the 2 screws for the hanger. 2 screws for the trigger guard.....
MAKE SURE YOU MARK TRIGGER HANGER.....It should go back, the way it came out.....
Check the inside of firing pin block pcs. 11 and outside of hollow pin. Wear marks might be evident....https://jewelltriggers.com/about/

In Dec. I thought I was flinching. It was the firing pin block and pin. On a Jewell Trigger.
Saw this a few years ago. Action about 10 yrs old.....And cold weather. Firing pin block hangs up. Fine wear marks were evident.
Sent trigger to Jewell. $45 all good......

Last edited:
It is pretty easy to check the firing spring poundage....Zero the scale then push down on the back of the firing pin and read the scale until it "breaks"

I can't visualize what you mean by "breaks" -- can you add some clarity?

My apologies, my lack of proper terminology of mechanical parts leads to misunderstandings. I'll try to add some pictures to see if that helps.

Looking at the picture labeled "on scale" = when you push down on the shroud the firing pin spring will not compress (break) until a certain amount of force is reached. For a BAT 3 lug, that needs to be around 20-24 pounds. Hope that clears some things up. If you want me to take a video of this process I can.

Stanley

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 333
  • on scale.jpg
    on scale.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 319
For those that have a drill press or milling machine you can try it this way {See Attachment}!

My Bat S & SV break at 18lbs in the cocked position is over 25lbs.

I remove the firing pin assembly from the bolt in the off season gives it a little less spring compression..

I try to change out after 2 years "If I remember" Thanks for the reminder Guys!

Russ

Spring.jpg FPspring.jpg

Back