Bat "B" vs "MB" ???

The MB is essentially the same as the B, but the action is 1" longer overall, with the receiver ring shoulder rebated into the front of the action that 1". The extra 1" makes for more solid support with heavy barrels. If you look on my site here you can see a BAT MB multiflat chambered in 6.5-284:

http://www.the-long-family.com/BAT 6.5-284.htm

Otherwise, the barrel tenon and other dimensions are the same as the B.

Cheers,

Chris

www.the-long-family.com

The MB is essentially the same as the B, but the action is 1" longer overall, with the receiver ring shoulder rebated into the front of the action that 1". The extra 1" makes for more solid support with heavy barrels. If you look on my site here you can see a BAT MB multiflat chambered in 6.5-284:

http://www.the-long-family.com/BAT 6.5-284.htm

Otherwise, the barrel tenon and other dimensions are the same as the B.

Cheers,

Chris

www.the-long-family.com

Thanks for the info Chris.

What is the maximum barrel diameter that you can fit in the recessed or more like the counterbored section on the front end of the receiver?

Can a recoil lug be utilized on the barrel like normal or does the "MB" have one of those recoil lugs that comes off the bottom of the receiver ?

BTW, I'm getting the parts together for a 6-284. I'm thinking of putting a straight 1.250" X 30" or maybe a HV X 30" on this rifle.

Thanks again,
Dennis

The recess is meant for a 1.250" barrel OD. It runs about 1.260" IIRC. Be careful that the barrel OD runs true with the threads, and if it is close, you may have to take a skim cut. The barrel is not supposed to touch the inner wall. Also, be careful that the barrel tenon shoulder does not bottom out on the inside corner where the action wall meets the receiver ring face. This can happen if the barrel is close to the wall ID. I usually put a slight chamfer on the barrel tenon shoulder to alleviate this problem if things are close.

I don't think that it was meant to run with an external recoil lug, as there is no way to get the lug between the barrel and the receiver ring inside the counterbore. I think that the action can be ordered with a bottom lug (like the bigger M series), or you can use the normal cutout on the bottom as the recoil surface. The latter is how my 6.5-284 is set up, and it is as solid as a rock. I use Devcon 10110 steel filled epoxy for bedding, and that material is definitely hard enough for this application. If your stock allows, the rear tang is strong enough that it can become part of the recoil load bearing area if you desire.

These are very nicely made actions, and I am sure that whatever you build on one will be a shooter. I haven't tried the 6mm variant of the 6.5-284, but it should really get the 115s going! All my F-Open rifles have straight 1.25" barrels, and they will work just fine on this, or any other properly bedded BAT action, with no other support required than the action itself.

Cheers,

Chris

www.the-long-family.com

Back