Bat B problems

adamsgt

Jerry Adams
Took the ejector out of the bolt while looking for seating depth. When I went to re-install the ejector I couldn't get the pin to go in and eventually bent it and it broke when I tried to straighten it. Was using a roll pin holder. Got 1/16 roll pins coming from Brownells but nothing the exact length. Then while trying to find the seating depth the bolt stop fell out. Recovered the stop and return spring but couldn't find whatever was holding the bolt stop in the action. Couldn't find anything on the floor. There's an obvious hole in the stop and a hole in the action but I don't know what goes in the hole. Haven't been able to get through to Bat to ask them. The bottom hole appears to be threaded and I'm hoping that's not for a screw that goes up from the bottom of the action as this action is glued -in. Could there be a cavity in the stock that a screw could have fallen into? Can anybody help. I was hoping to take this rifle to Raton next week. I guess it will still work safely without the ejector and bolt stop but......:confused:

Bolt stop

Took the ejector out of the bolt while looking for seating depth. When I went to re-install the ejector I couldn't get the pin to go in and eventually bent it and it broke when I tried to straighten it. Was using a roll pin holder. Got 1/16 roll pins coming from Brownells but nothing the exact length. Then while trying to find the seating depth the bolt stop fell out. Recovered the stop and return spring but couldn't find whatever was holding the bolt stop in the action. Couldn't find anything on the floor. There's an obvious hole in the stop and a hole in the action but I don't know what goes in the hole. Haven't been able to get through to Bat to ask them. The bottom hole appears to be threaded and I'm hoping that's not for a screw that goes up from the bottom of the action as this action is glued -in. Could there be a cavity in the stock that a screw could have fallen into? Can anybody help. I was hoping to take this rifle to Raton next week. I guess it will still work safely without the ejector and bolt stop but......:confused:

Yes there is a allen screw that you tighten from the bottom of the action. Must have unscrewed and dropped enough to let the stop come loose. I had it happen on my rail gun a few years back so always check it when I have my action out. In the case of a glue in job I don't think you can get it back in place without popping it out of the stock and putting the screw back in place with some locktite. Not what you wanted to hear I know.

Good luck
Scott

Yes there is a allen screw that you tighten from the bottom of the action. Must have unscrewed and dropped enough to let the stop come loose. I had it happen on my rail gun a few years back so always check it when I have my action out. In the case of a glue in job I don't think you can get it back in place without popping it out of the stock and putting the screw back in place with some locktite. Not what you wanted to hear I know.

Good luck
Scott

Thanks Scott. I just got a call back from Bat and the guy confirmed what you said. He did say that some times the stocker will drill a hole that you can access from the bottom of the stock. I've taken off the trigger guard but haven't yet figured out how to remove the Jewell trigger. I can only see one trigger hanger screw so I'm stumped at this point.
Well, I got the trigger out and after a bit I saw a shallow groove in the stock that led to the hole I need to access. The original screw fell out and it looks beat up and rusty so I'll wait until I get the replacements from Bat.. Ill need a long allen wrench smaller than 1/6 to fit the socket head on the screw, maybe 3/64? I'll go ahead and get my other gun ready. I think getting that screw in will be somewhat of a challenge and I want to take my time with it.

Last edited:
Just a quick comment on the glue in and the bolt stop screw access. I have done a couple BATs and Bordens, and have drilled a hole through the stock and made an aluminum tube to fit in the hole. The tube is key when using fiberglass stocks with foam filler as that screw will find every little nook and cranny of that foam and then fill the action cut out with it.
Mike

Well, I got the gun back together today. No problem getting the ejector back in. The bolt stop pin that Bat sent was a little shorter than the original and pointed. The original had a flat on the end. I found that the new one was much easier to install as the sharp pointed guided the pin through the hole in the Bolt stop. Good to go now.

Back