BAT Action won't extract

Z

zini72

Hi guys, well i finally got to shoot my new 1,000 yrd gun today (been 6 months in the build). It shot resonably well other than overy once in a while after shooting i would pull the bolt back and...no empty case. I can cycle the bolt back and forth several times, sometimes felt a little stiff, sometimes very easy, but still no empty case. Every time I would run a cleaning rod (with cap) down the muzzle and the empty very easily comes out. It was not stuck at all. I don't understand why? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
specs: BAT M rb,lp
7mm RSAUM (using WSM brass)

This same thing happened with my PPC. I just ordered a new extractor and hope this solve my problem.

He believes it to be something not right with the extractor also. But hard to tell. A shell that must be pushed out with a rod is very tight and held well by inserting into the end of the bolt while out of the action.
I haven't called BAT yet, i'm sure they will have a solution. Their customer service has been excellent with my other actions. I figured i would probably just have my smith take the action out and send it in to them.

Now than I am home and inspecting my brass, two of the three that i marked as not extracting have cratered primers.?

With the bolt out of the action, if you put a case rim under the extractor, and square the head up to the bolt face, is there any clearance that would allow you to move the case in and out in line with the bolt? Perhaps the distance from the inside of the hook of the extractor to the bolt face is too small?

zini...If you are competent with gun stuff...remove the extractor and replace the spring with a heavier spring...recently had a Nesika come into my shop with the same problem..installed a heavier spring and extraction is consistant...
But that being said...you should call BAT and let them correct the problem...if you want to send it back for repair..

Eddie in Texas

Boyd, there is a couple thousands clearance under the extractor. Though I have noticed that the front of the cone has very little clearance to the base of the case.? I don't konw, still thinking i need to send to BAT. What i'm afraid of is that it is a problem with my brass or chambering. I am un-able to re-load without different dies. My 7mm RSAUM dies are squeezing the body down to far in order to push the shoulder back. I have ordered a re-sizing reamer to go with my finish reamer from PT&G, I can't shoot for a couple of weeks anyway. Is it possible that undersized brass can be the cause of inconsistent extraction?

How much is the case reduced about .3 up from the head, and in diameter at the shoulder?

Now you know why I would rather start with well used sized brass (by the die I plan on using) and spec. the chamber from that.

Boyd

Boyd, I sent three cases that were formed with the dies I wanted to use when I ordered the reamer (unfortunately i could not chamber them without the reamer).
i don't know how to do it differantly when starting from scratch.

Back