Bat 3 lug is missing it's bolt release

R

RayfromTX

When I got home from the match today I took my rifle out of the case to put in the safe and noticed the bolt release button and assembly were gone. The rifle is built on a Bat 3 lug action. The parts were not in the case. Does anybody have experience with this?

I'm not sure what it takes to fix this. Can I get the parts from Bat and install them myself or will I have to ship the rifle? The gun was built by Lester Bruno in 2007.

The threaded pin that holds the bolt release in place goes in from the bottom of the action and is a blind hole..

If the action is just pillar bedded you can pull it out of the stock and see the pin hole. Get replacement parts from BAT, probably next day air if you wish.

If the action is glued into the stock the person that bedded and glued it in place might have provided you with an access hole. Take the trigger guard off and see if you can find a hole for an allen wrench, the hole would be right under the bolt release..

If the action is glued in and no access hole provided you are going to have to pull (unglue) the action and replace the parts then either rebed and reglue or just reglue.. I'm not sure the pin could back out far enough for the bolt release to be lost if the action is glued in with no access hole provided. You'll just have to look..

Good luck Ray..

Pat-
Thanks so much for responding to my question. You were right on target. Lester did provide the access hole under the trigger guard. The pin was there and you are probably right that it could not have moved enough to allow the release lever to come out without the access hole.

I couldn't reach Lester today as he was at the super shoot.

Bat machine is sending the replacement parts. This should be a very easy fix.

PS Thanks also to Wilbur.

yep

Same thing happened to my 3Lug years ago in a match. I had to finish it with a red plastic straw from a solvent can stuck in there and a piece of electrical tape on the stock to hold the straw in. Not fun. I locktite them in after that. In the process those threads got a bit buggered up too and I had to chase them with a tap. It all turned out OK but keep that in mind if your new pin doesn't want to start in those threads. You don't want to make them worse..... I would much prefer that screw coming in from the top of the action instead of that blind hole but Bruce didn't ask me. ;)

Good luck Ray.

Back