basix vs Shilen Trigger

H

hjk

I'm building a Rem 700 long range Hunting/Tactical rifle and plan on scrapping the factory trigger. Jewell triggers are out of my budget and it seems Basix and Shilen are the next popular.

Basix or Shilen??

I'm open to other suggestions

I have one Basix trigger at 3lbs on a 700 hunting rifle that I really like. It is very crisp. Basix customer service has been very good to work with. I don't have a Shilen, but have heard good things about them. I think you would be happy with both of them.

Jarrod

What do you all think about the factory trigger being tuned up vs buying aftermarket?

GA Percision uses the factory trigger with their rifles after they tune them up and sets them 2.5lbs.

Safety

With the use of this rifle being, Long Range Hunting / Tactical, whatever trigger you end up with you should keep in mind that a functional safety should be considered a must on this build... If it were me it would be. I know that Jewell has the functional safety as one of the options in their line of available triggers.

Paul

I'm with Paul.

Jewell offers two safety options, one down below in the trigger guard and another (for the Rem700 only) that reuses the stock safety slide button. It's called the "Varmint" style. Sinclair or Brownell's has 'em, probably some of the mart catalog stores too......

al

I use Shilen 2 ounce triggers on my long range bench rest rifles.
I've only used one Rifle Basix trigger.
On my own and client tactical and varmint rifles I use the original Remington trigger reworked to client specifications down to 1.5 lbs, I have done trigger jobs on thousands of Remington 700 rifles and offer a life time money back satisfaction guarantee. I have never had to refund the cost of a trigger job.
The Remington trigger is also very strong and does not fail if you blank a primer. I am currently testing 2 experimental Remington X Mark Pro triggers reworked and set at 8 ounces, these triggers have been on trusted clients rifles since they became avalable and have been safe so far for shooting from the bench.
I do not advocate any one walking around with any trigger set this light.
If any one has questions I would happy to try and give an answer, I can be reached at leroy@jpgrifles.com.
I hope this gives a broader perspective.
Tommy Leroy Johnson

What do you all think about the factory trigger being tuned up vs buying aftermarket?

GA Percision uses the factory trigger with their rifles after they tune them up and sets them 2.5lbs.

Depends on what you mean by "the factory trigger being tuned up". I have a few Rem. 700's that I've "adjusted" the triggers on and some turned out well. One has a little bit of slack/creep in it, but I can live with it. I'm not talking about stoning parts or replacing springs, just adjusting the screws. A buddy of mine has a Rem. 700 / .221 Fireball Varmint rifle and I could not get a consistant trigger pull on it. So I replaced it with a Shilen trigger. It was very easy to adjust to a nice trigger pull weight with no creep. The price was good too, about $80 from Midway USA, if I remember correctly.

I'm building a Rem 700 long range Hunting/Tactical rifle and plan on scrapping the factory trigger.
I'm open to other suggestions

Scrap your plans, and keep the factory trigger. You can typically adjust the factory unit to about 2 pounds, safely, and reliably. Lots of info on how to do this (takes a screwdriver, and about 10 minutes). Just search via Google or the multitude of shooting forums (like this one).

All,
I have NO intentions what so ever to bypass or eliminate the safety. I will always default to the side of caution ensuring that the safety functions correctly and reliably even if it means giving up a lighter trigger. My intended trigger pull weight is 1.5-2.5lbs with a trigger designed to incorporate a safety.

Now that you all can breathe a sigh of relief, back to the question at hand.

If I decide to stay with the factory trigger, on average, what would it cost to do a nice trigger job? I suspect not a whole lot of difference between buying a Shilen or spit and polishing the factory trigger. It appears the Shilen has a narrow trigger lever. Am I correct? I like a wider trigger lever, I know Basix triggers are wide like the factory trigger.

The trigger shoe on my Shilens are .175 and the factory triggers are .325. I would not hunt with anybody that has adjusted his own factory trigger. I have seen 3 accidents that could have been tragic.
Butch

Butch,
I do not intend on doing the trigger job myself. I was looking for gunsmith recommendations from the forum to send the trigger to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gents,

Since we are on the subject, I was told by a gunsmith who worked for an "official" Remington repair/warranty outfit that the 700 trigger could not be SAFELY adjusted down to less than 3 pounds and did not recommend doing so. He sighted the geometry of the two lever system as being unable to SAFELY allow this.

I'm no authority on such and am not taking anybody to task on what they have posted or what they set their 700 triggers at, but I am curious to hear your guys thoughts on this opinion.

Thanks,
Justin

I missed harvesting a HUGE Buck

on year because I took a rifke that day that had a Canjar Set trigger on it. I don't know what the un-set weight value is but In the "Heat of the Moment" I managed to trip the trigger about half way up to where I could have tipped the Old Boy over :(. I agree on trigger jobs on Huntin rifles after this experience.

Any recommendations of who to send my trigger to for a good tunning up?

I have had several Rem factory triggers reworked by Paul Jones. All totally satisfactory!! He will set them at 1 pound. I finally saved enough $$ to buy Jewells and now use them on all of my squirrel rifles.

Don

Save for a Jewell, you won't regret it....

However, Butch ---- did you say the new Shilens are great ?? Didn't realize they were back in the trigger business..

Back