Bart´s .825" BT?

Ericson, I have been shooting them, and have a whole bunch on order. Here is my take.

The bullet is fat, the ones I have are at least .2436 at the shank to boat tail junction. Yes, it does have what can be described as a gas ring at that point. Just forward of this, and for at least 5/32 up the shank, they measure around .2432, before a very gradual taper into the ogive. I don't know what the actual o-give number is, but they set up pretty far into the case, so much that I went back to a .045 free bore. I think a .060, or perhaps longer, might even work, but I do not have a reamer at this time with that free bore.

I told Bart that this thing looks like a old Fowler Bullet with a boat tail stuck on.

For what it is worth, when I switch from Barts .790 boat tail to this bullet, the set up is identicle. Which brings me to this. They love to be jumped. And I mean really jumped. I set the bullet up to where I can see the faintest of marks, then I move the bullet .015 further into the case. This is the way quite a few competitors are shooting them, I have never jumped a bullet this much before, I don't know why these, (and the .790), perform best when this far off the lands. But I don't argue with the targets..........jackie

Last edited:
Jumped?! Have never tried that with the .790"s, but maybee I should... Intresting. After shooting the .790"s with a .045" reamer this year, I actually ordered a new one with .065" fb for next season. With stout loads, I could relly feel the bullet on top of the powder column, witch I didn´t like.

Does this bullet also seem to like to be shot in "the upper load window"?

Regards,
Peter

Well, sort of. I shoot them with around a flat 30.0 grns of 03-133, that is about a flat 3400 out of a typical LV length barrel.

I have never had any success shooting them over that, I suppose it is because they are pretty big, and have quite a bit of shank.

That jumping thing is strange, Bart himself told me it took him and Billy a long time to convince themselves that jumping them was indeed the way to go. I used to shoot the Barts Ultras and Bruno 00 Boatatils jammed really hard, but I must admitt, I never tried them the way these are set-up.

When I first started shooting the .790 Barts, I tried jamming them like the Bruno, and they shot terrible. Bart gave me the tip, to try the jump........jackie

Consider the barrels one is using.... Rifling, number of lands and the width...

I sure Grouper and Jackie are using a 4 groove cut rifled barrels.... Krieger, Bartlein...

I have found by a wide margin, that the 3-4 groove cut or button rifled 6ppc chambered barrels tend to get with the program "so to speak" with a jump from anywhere .003 or more.. I tend to like .003 - .010 jump in most 4 groove Kriegers I had over the years.
.790's - .825 jacket / Boat tail or not / 6 - 8 1/2 ogive ... You name it...

5-6 groove button rifled (not tried a 5-6 groove cut barrel), jumping to the lands was had with less success. At the leade to as far as .009 in the lands was most consistent...

It's great to shoot a barrel that favors a jump... When conditions change one can open the bolt and back the loaded round away from a hot chamber till the condition comes back and not "cooking" the round... Same is true for a cease fire... Making the line safe and no stuck bullets / dumped powder...Frown...!

If a barrel favors a jam, I try to find the min amount of jam it'll shoot and just maby this will be < .005 jam (typically the case)... Any deeper and higher chance of "stick'n a bullet".... As most ... I run pretty light NT ...

I'm sure leade angle has something to do with this... 1.5deg 30... Most typical out there...

cale

Back