barrels

I don't know what the odds are that a barrel in tune can be thought of as a Hummer, but I can tell you that a rifle out of tune won't shoot worth a flip no matter who is shooting it.

iwish it was so easy that a barrel "in tune "transforms in a hummer
Several years ago, I bought a supposedly bad bbl, cheap, from a friend to turn into a fire form bbl. The two previous owners both said it just wasn't up to snuff. I had to rechamber it, so there is that factor to consider, due to it being a 30br and I needed it for a 30 Major. But bottom line, that bbl ended up shooting great...one of my best ever barrels. Different length, different chamber and different rifle, but different animal too, when done. I would say it was just my fantastic chambering work but get this..I chucked the sucker in a 3 jaw and ran the reamer in with a floating holder. Didn't indicate anything beyond "eyeball close". LOL! It was a ff bbl, so all I cared. at the time was that the chamber wasn't too terribly big. Won a lot of wood with that bbl. That was one of the factors in me going to tuners since. FWIW

Last edited:
Quick story
I got lucky and got a few great barrels in a row. Norman Jones from Tenn was shooting at the time, he was always coming in near the bottom, I asked how many rounds does your barrel have, he said about 5,000. I told him I had a couple of barrels that were shooting pretty good and since he had done me a big favor I gave him one, they were of equal quality. Next time I saw him was in Dublin Ga, 120 shooters, I was mid pack and when I asked Norman how are you doing he said tenth place, got any more of them barrels?
Now its a given that we all use the best possible components we can get our hands on, but when you get a really good barrel your gonna have the best time of your life.

Quick story
I got lucky and got a few great barrels in a row. Norman Jones from Tenn was shooting at the time, he was always coming in near the bottom, I asked how many rounds does your barrel have, he said about 5,000. I told him I had a couple of barrels that were shooting pretty good and since he had done me a big favor I gave him one, they were of equal quality. Next time I saw him was in Dublin Ga, 120 shooters, I was mid pack and when I asked Norman how are you doing he said tenth place, got any more of them barrels?
Now its a given that we all use the best possible components we can get our hands on, but when you get a really good barrel your gonna have the best time of your life.
Similar thing happened to me. Gave a barrel to Dominic Grunas. He got it to shoot. Either a 2 gun or real close. And some other stuff....

I attended an Action Truing two day seminar last winter and during the second day the Barrel discussion came up. The presenter told us of and showed us his equipment he uses to slug barrels to find the irregularities in the bore and how he lapps the irregularities out. This was the first I had heard of CF people slugging barrels. It is a common practice in the RF side of things. I don't remember if I initiated the conversation but on a thread on BRC others sent pictures of their laps and equipment they use for the same purpose. Some do it and don't say anything about it APPARENTLY.

So, it is possible to "Quantify" why some barrels perform better than others. People seem to do it quite a bit. So comes the question, If a company were to make barrels and offer them in a dead nuts taper lapped condition and that made them hummers, how many of us would be willing to pay the extra for the service? This takes some of the mystery out of it I think.

Back