Barrel ??

B

B SLAGLE

What kind of Barrel's does Hart make these days? Are they as good as a Kreiger and other custom barrel's? Has anyone had any luck with them? Thinking about getting one the wait is only 4 weeks on a Hart where a Kreiger is 22.

Harts are button pulled barrels, Kreigers are cut rifled barrels. Many gunsmiths will tell you how cut rifled barrels are better than button pulled. Probably because of stresses introduced in the manufacturing process. That in mind I have had the good fortune to have a lot of good barrels. I prefer Cut Rifled barrels, but my best Two barrels were button pulled. One was a Broughton/North, the other was a Northwest Precision.

My first 3 or 4 barrels were Harts and I did a lot of winning with them. At the time they did not make a 17 twist and that is what I wanted to try so I tried a different type. Also with button pulled barrels, their twist rate is not as precise as cut. My 18 twist was a little more like 18.5 the best I could measure. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to use another one. Randy J.

What about a Lilja barrel does anyone know what the wait is on them. I am building a 22 Dasher 6 twist need the best barrel I can get but dont really want to wait 6 months for it.

6 twist or 16 twist? was that a misprint? I thought you were looking for a BR barrel? .22 aint gonna work well at 1000 yards and you don't need 6 twist for any bullet to be able to compete at 600 yards. Nobody uses long bullets in short range BR.

Paul

I hope to be shooting 90g VLDs out of a 7.7 Krieger in 22BR imp. The older boxes of 90VLDs have 8 twist written on them. Berger now sugests 7 twist. Mike Davis has or had another 7.7 HV Krieger left in stock.
daviscustomrifle@yahoo.com

So you guys think a 7 or 7.5 would be fine for 90VLDs I thought that I would need at least a 6 to do it. I appreciate all the help.

pbike, according to the Hart website, their barrels are "push button rifled" not the "pulled button" method that so many other barrel makers use.

So you guys think a 7 or 7.5 would be fine for 90VLDs I thought that I would need at least a 6 to do it. I appreciate all the help.

I am not sure if you can even get a 6 twist. Never heard of anyone trying one out if they do make one.

90 VLDs, I would choose a 10 or 9 twist. The 7-7.5 would work well with the 115's, not 90's. If you are building a Dasher, I would be choosing 105-115 weight bullets for long range work. I have 2 Dashers, both with 8 twist Bartleins. The one I shoot 107 SMKs and the other is being build so not sure what it will like.

As for wait time on barrels, keep and eye on the classifieds. There are several vendors that keep a steady flow of common barrels in stock and ready to sell.

I am not sure if you can even get a 6 twist. Never heard of anyone trying one out if they do make one.

90 VLDs, I would choose a 10 or 9 twist. The 7-7.5 would work well with the 115's, not 90's. If you are building a Dasher, I would be choosing 105-115 weight bullets for long range work. I have 2 Dashers, both with 8 twist Bartleins. The one I shoot 107 SMKs and the other is being build so not sure what it will like.

Dsm are you thinking 6mm Dasher, this guy is looking at .22 dasher. A 90 grain Vld 6mm would indeed work with 9 twist, but a .22 90 grain VLD would more twist than that.

Dsm are you thinking 6mm Dasher, this guy is looking at .22 dasher. A 90 grain Vld 6mm would indeed work with 9 twist, but a .22 90 grain VLD would more twist than that.

Yes, my bad...should have read a bit closer, lol.

Looked at the berger web site to day they list a 1 & 7 or faster twist for the 90VLDs. I also called and talked with them they said that a 6 twist would be ideal for the 90VLDs in a 22 Dasher. I went with a 1 & 6 twist, 6 grove Hart HV 30"

I have found that some bullet manufacturers and some barrel manufacturers tell you to use more twist than what is really need to make a bullet stable. They don't want to be the one to blame when you start keyholing or loosing shots. In benchrest we run on the ragged edge of stability to cause the rifle and the bullet less twist in the bags. Less upset either one gets the better you are in the longrun. Proof would be the amount of 30 BR shooters that in the last five years have gone from a 15 or 16 twist up to a 19. A few years ago a 19 twist was unheard of.

pbike, according to the Hart website, their barrels are "push button rifled" not the "pulled button" method that so many other barrel makers use.

Pushed or pulled is not a significant issue. They are NOT a cut rifled barrel. The stress introduced from pushing or pulling is much the same.

Back