barrel

Liseo

Is possible for the gunsmith fit the barrel to the action (Predator,Alpine,...) without sending the action, or is this is possible only with BR actions(Viper, Borden BR, etc..)

I ask this because will be easier request the barrel than send the action to the gunsmith, as i live outside USA.

Barrel fitting

Is possible for the gunsmith fit the barrel to the action (Predator,Alpine,...) without sending the action, or is this is possible only with BR actions(Viper, Borden BR, etc..)

I ask this because will be easier request the barrel than send the action to the gunsmith, as i live outside USA.

Possible yes, ethical no. The gunsmith would need to rely on your measurements on the action and wouldn't be able to trial fit the headspace. After doing the barrel the first time the gunsmith may have enough information on record to thread and chamber a replacement without the action. The Savage system allows that type of thing, where you can order a chambered barrel and you can headspace it without having to worry about the shoulder.

OK, now everyone can tell me I'm all wet ;-) nhk

My concern is the thread fit and tenon lenght, because he could make it short chambered and I adjust the headspace myself, as I have the reamer and gauges. But I am just thinking about it, I may be wrong.

Actions

Actions such as Bat, Kelbly, Stiller and a few others are VERY consistant in their manufacturing to the extent that it is common practice for experienced Gunsmiths to chamber barrels to a set set of dimensions without ever seeing the action.

However, some manufacturers might differ enough in criticle dimensions so that this is not an accepted practice.........jackie

Last edited:
I have a Viper action that is glued in. I have a barrel shipped to Stiller Precision, call and tell Curtis how I want it done (how much shank, what length, any other details), and the finished barrel is shipped to me. Good work, fair price, timely service, why would anyone do anything else?

If I was going to build a rifle, and was not going to have the action manufacturer do my barreling, I would first have the action shipped to that smith, so that he could take the necessary measurements and keep them on file. One more thing, I have my own reamer (that lives at Stiller's) and would recommend that to anyone. All of my brass interchanges from barrel to barrel, and my dies continue to be a proper match to my chambers.

Last edited:
Depends on actions

Thanks Jackie. I knew the BR boys (BAT, Kelby) did it, but I wasn't sure about Predator (Stiller) and Alpine (Borden) actions and an unknown recoil lug.

I had a bet with my wife that Butch would jump on it :) nhk

OK fellas

I just saw that the Stiller fit barrels for their actions.

This will facilitate my life.

Thanks to all

Did it all the time while working for Nesika. One customer in particular ordered a ridiculous number of barrels in various twists, chamber configurations for one action.

The part that made this easy for us back then was we knew the dimensions on all his actions. This is where careful measurements of your receiver would need to be made. Pitch diameter on the receiver ring, bolt face to receiver ring distance, etc. . .

Done properly its no problem, but as stated it can VERY easily lead to some nasty problems if its not taken seriously.

Good luck.

Chad

i like this post especially nesika you need all the measurements and they better be right . T.R.

Make a threaded

degree ring. Screw the bbl in the action, take a magic marker and put a line on the bbl where you want the engraving, take a reading both left and right sides. Screw the bbl into the degree ring and note the reading for your files for that specific action. Such as "bbl markings 340 deg left, 80 deg right"

Works great,

Richard Brensing

Im talking about this case where he is trying to get a BBl without sending his action to the smith.

How do you make sure your Cartridge Identification Marking are in the right place?

SBH

I do not care where the identification markings is positioned in the barrel, or even if dont have any identification, unless I have a legal problem with this.

My only goal is an accurate rifle:D

This tool, probably like Richards.
DSC02292.jpg

Will allow you to get the lettering right, check headspace, and bolt nose clearence. As far as the recoil lugs are concerned, just get a measurement. The Predators and Alpines are very consistant. As to the first time on a Remington style barrel, receiver, you can make measurements and log them in your book. You do have a book don't you? You can refer to that in the future.
Butch

Yes, I do it all the time.

Just use a good gunsmith.

al

If the issue is customs, could you send the barrel and have it duplicated?

Just a thought

Back