Barrel threading/chambering lube

B

Bob Boldman

To all; I have gone through the searches to find posts about lubricants/oils used to thread /chamber barrels with little success. How about shareing your recipes or oils you use?
To start off I have heard Moly-dee works well,, plumbers threading oil etc.
Lets hear it from all of you as to what oil/lube you use.

Bob Boldman

Lard oil

I have been using "Plumbers Lard Oil" (I think it's called!) from McMaster Carr. Really good stuff on everything I've used it on, including threading barrels and chambering.

Threading & Chambering lubricant/coolant

I thread using Rigid dark pipe threading oil.

I chamber using Rustlic 225R mixed 5:1 at 10-125 psi depending on where I am at with the chamber.

Nat Lambeth

I use a 7% concentration of Cimtech coolant for threading.

Chambering is a home brew concoction of 25% Castol Moly D tapping fluid and 75% marvel mystery "erl".

Chambers buff up nice with just a few strokes of 220@500rpm.

I finish with a couple strokes of green scotchbrite.

I soak the emery/scotchbrite with kroil prior.

So far so good..

DSC_0087-1.jpg

Varminthunter

That would be great. Thanks Jeff. See you tomorrow. Bob

I've been using Texaco Transultex H and hadn't realized that I had developed an allergy to probably the sulphur in it. Larry Englebrecht had told me quite a few years back that he couldn't use a high sulphur based oil as it would break him out. I never had any problem with it for years, but developed the allergy over the past year. I'm changing to a low allergenic Mobilmet cutting oil that I hope solves the allergy problem. It won't take long to find out. I guess it was a good think that I was down to the bottom half of the last 5 gallons of the Transultex H. It worked well, but I won't be using it anymore even if I could get it.

Mike, does the name of the Mobil product say low alergenic? Is that the exact name of the product you are going to try ??

Thanks for any info !
Pat

Off the shelf rear end grease from any auto parts store works great for me. Now if you can find some of the real old rear end grease that stunk to high heaven, that high sulpher content. Somebody gots some of the old stuff sitting out in the garage that's been there for years!

To All

Thanks for your replys, it's been fun and informative. Anybody else like to share their recipies?

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Question to Singleshotom

Does Castrol have a "Gun Oil" for chambering and threading barrels? The reason I ask is it would appear to me that the market isn't that big to have a product for just this application. Please correct me or direct me to the supplier; I'm curious.

Bob

Thanks for your input. Who makes/sells the "Sulpher Based Threading Oil"?

I bought mine at an Electrical Supply House. It's the threading oil we use when threading Ridgid Electrical Conduit. It's thin enough that it flows great. When I mixed the EP Tap Magic Xtra with it it got even better.

Back