Barrel talk

Frankr

seems to be alot of barrel questions, good, bad..
at one time i read a paragraph on a barrel maker website, something like land&groove held to .0003 and uniform front to rear to .0001 ect,(something like that)
you would think if a barrel was that uniform and chambered properly, it should shoot well.. anyhow , the paragraph went on to say this was what was needed for 1/8moa rifles ect, ect.. well i have searched the site and can no longer find that statement.. i searched several barrel maker websites and can not find these great spec listed anymore(other than one,that still list it) and i know at one time most did list.
I bought a few of them great barrels and they did shoot well..I got one here recectly and it would shoot 8's..I sent it back..4 months later i have a tracking# its in route to me..but im still out like $250.00 bucks in chambering and shipping cost..

What do you do when you get a barrel that is for sure bad? sent it back? as i did..
what if you get a barrel that just wont tune any better that mid 3's and 4's.. do you B****? send it back? just eat it ? or wear it out trying to make it shoot as i have done a few times in the past...where have all the shooters gone? they ran out of money trying to get a competitive barrel...lol......

Mark,
It's hard to come to these conclusions alone. One needs competitive "buddies" to bounce this stuff off of. Much experience goes into conclusive barrel evaluation. Some barrels look good early on, some come to life a little later.Different bullets and tunes have a significant influence on how a barrel will perform. A bore scope will identify some serious defects. a tight patch and some feel will identify some minor internal dimensional discrepencies. Shooting known good bullets,known good powder and known good scopes under good conditions will help in your evaluation. I have never sent anything back. Got lemons, make lemonade. Very refreshing !

I'm fairly new into short range BR so I haven't had a can full of so-so barrels, but I've had a couple. I don't ever remember any of th barrel makers guaranteeing me to have a barrel that would shoot tiny lottle groups good enough to win a BR match, there are just too many variables that are out of the barrel makers hands. I don't think that it is fair to hold a barrel maker to your own personal standards as far as accuracy goes...If you're not getting the barrel that you think you should get, then try another maker...you'll find one somewhere out there.

the barrel im speaking of i have the same barrel chambered by the same smith with the same reamer, shoots great..two new barrels all same reamer,same smith,same rifle.
and one barrel shoots 8's... no matter the load or bullet..so sent it back with suspect it was choked on the chamber end.. I got a new blank, i guess thats better than just being out the whole deal..

But what do you do if you know you have a bad barrel ?
what do you do with a so so barrel ?

kind of what i was looking for,info from other shooter..as what they do..

Mark,
not to be a sm*** A**. So this BR Barrel shoots 8's no matter what ? I would be posessed to understand why. I 've had barrels with the bottom land scoured out by bad cleaning rods/guides with 2000 rds that still shot .250's. 3000rd barrels that still shot .3's
8's is like smooth bore performance, with shotgun slugs. What's going on here ?

yea i like to call it buckshot..that what the targets looked liked,,,cleaning with a tight patch moveing it real slow with light pressure when came back about two to three inches ahead of the chamber felt like it got tight, bore scope it looked ok other then i kind of felt it looked more like a barrel with 500 to 600 rounds , but it had less than 100 rounds,, so i called,,they said would like to see it, so i sent it back.hey i have a new blank in the mail.. just not sure what i will do with it,,may just sit on it for awhile.
i have in my possession a new borden built,rimrock action RBLPRE with a kreiger 6 ppc 269NK..just waiting on a stock to come.im real excited about it..but it has ate up most of my shooting money..lol... may hold on to for next year if it shoots well...i will probably have the barrel burned up before i ever make it to a match..

Mark,
It's hard to come to these conclusions alone. One needs competitive "buddies" to bounce this stuff off of. Much experience goes into conclusive barrel evaluation. Some barrels look good early on, some come to life a little later.Different bullets and tunes have a significant influence on how a barrel will perform. A bore scope will identify some serious defects. a tight patch and some feel will identify some minor internal dimensional discrepencies. Shooting known good bullets,known good powder and known good scopes under good conditions will help in your evaluation. I have never sent anything back. Got lemons, make lemonade. Very refreshing !

Before sending a barrel back, I would have it borescoped to identify any potential problem, thus providing the manufacturer a basis to make a replacement. Also, its a good idea to send him the end which the smith cut off the breech. It has all the identification needed for their analysis. I would suspect a bad barrel only if it was installed on a rifle action/stock which previously had a very good barrel of the same chambering.

seems to be alot of barrel questions, good, bad..
at one time i read a paragraph on a barrel maker website, something like land&groove held to .0003 and uniform front to rear to .0001 ect,(something like that)
you would think if a barrel was that uniform and chambered properly, it should shoot well.. anyhow , the paragraph went on to say this was what was needed for 1/8moa rifles ect, ect.. well i have searched the site and can no longer find that statement.. i searched several barrel maker websites and can not find these great spec listed anymore(other than one,that still list it) and i know at one time most did list.
I bought a few of them great barrels and they did shoot well..I got one here recectly and it would shoot 8's..I sent it back..4 months later i have a tracking# its in route to me..but im still out like $250.00 bucks in chambering and shipping cost..

What do you do when you get a barrel that is for sure bad? sent it back? as i did..
what if you get a barrel that just wont tune any better that mid 3's and 4's.. do you B****? send it back? just eat it ? or wear it out trying to make it shoot as i have done a few times in the past...where have all the shooters gone? they ran out of money trying to get a competitive barrel...lol......

I would check the twist also.
Ron

well they never did tell me what or if they found any thing that they for sure could say was wrong. when i called and told them about the problem i was haveing they were all gung ho, send it back we want to see it..well after they had it like a month i called and asked if they had found anything out..thay said they would just rather send me a new barrel..they did not want to talk about it..so i got the new barrel, thursday..I think i sent it back to them in end of october..so not only did i wait allmost 5 months the first time to get the barrel, but close to the same to get a replacement barrel,and im out $250.00 bucks..it sucks but O well thats how it goes for me.
will i quit buying barrels from them? nope i have had a few very good shooting ones, have two good ones right now and this new blank, that i hope they took their time on.
But i was just trying to see if other shooters have had barrel that they sent back.

Had a barrel from a company and had it chambered by one of the top gunsmith in the U.S.. Best it would do after 25 groups was a .375 which had a lot of horizontal in it. All of the groups were shot in one sitting, apparently the same conditions. That .375 was about the 20th group but when it was shot the first shot landed, the second went out to the right the next to the left, right and left for all of the rounds. Call the manufacture up and expressed my concern and also the fact you pays your money and take your chances. He said send it back and he would look at it, sent it back with the targets and each load, along with seating depths I used for each group. Did not hear anything for 2 months, called him back and he told me he had looked at it and there was nothing wrong with it, and that I had 1 good group, (.375). When I explained to him on how that group was shot he informed me that I had read the wind wrong. Well he might have had a point, and did I want a new barrel? I told him to make the decision, if he felt there was nothing wrong or did not feel my concerns were justified to send it back or send a new barrel, whatever. Got my old barrel, along with the targets, back. Not expressing any good or bad, just the facts. By the way, all of the other groups ranged from .450 to .6’s

I once had a rail gun built by a well known gunsmith . It had a 1.5" straight taper barrel 6mm 14 twist from a very well known barrel maker. I was so excited , I was really looking forward to having a great time with a new endeavor. Well it shot a good solid 3/4" at 100 yards, you wanna talk about disappointment. I did not own a rifle that shot worse including hunting rifles and a rimfire. After 2 rechamberings 3 recrownings 2 Trips back to barrel manufacturer the barrel was finally replaced only after I replaced it first out of my own pocket to prove it was not the action or Rail.
Once I got it shooting I was so disgusted it sat in my basement for around 12 years before I finally sold it.

Back