Barrel liner installations?????

RoyB

I have a Winchester 1873 that I'm going to line the barrel. It is 38-40 and I'm going to keep it the same cartridge.

I love the idea of chambering the barrel liner to the rim before installing and them installing using a case as a headspace gauge. Brilliant!

My question....Do you do the drilling totally from the muzzle without removing the barrel from the action? Or do you remove the barrel, drill from both ends and then reinstall to insert the liner?

I'm a little concerned about removing a barrel from a 128 year old firearm.

I have a large lathe that I'll use for the drilling and I will support the barreled receiver through the headstock with spider on the outboard side.

The drill I have is 15" long and the barrel is 24". I can braze an extension onto the drill shank to length if needed.

I've rebarreled dozens of benchrest rifles but this will be my first liner installation.

Any comments or advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a Winchester 1873 that I'm going to line the barrel. It is 38-40 and I'm going to keep it the same cartridge.

I love the idea of chambering the barrel liner to the rim before installing and them installing using a case as a headspace gauge. Brilliant!

My question....Do you do the drilling totally from the muzzle without removing the barrel from the action? Or do you remove the barrel, drill from both ends and then reinstall to insert the liner?

I'm a little concerned about removing a barrel from a 128 year old firearm.

I have a large lathe that I'll use for the drilling and I will support the barreled receiver through the headstock with spider on the outboard side.

The drill I have is 15" long and the barrel is 24". I can braze an extension onto the drill shank to length if needed.

I've rebarreled dozens of benchrest rifles but this will be my first liner installation.

Any comments or advise is appreciated.

Thanks!

This Brownell barrel liner instructions has steps for both on action and off action steps, should give you a pretty good feel for what is needed............Don;

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/learn/Inst-143 Barrel Liner.pdf

They used to do a lot of .22 liners at the shop I worked at.

They mostly removed the barrel and drilled them from the breech only.

If you are careful, you can stop the drill right before it breaks all the way through, and after the liner is installed you don't have a "ring" at the muzzle between the liner and barrel.

Of course, you have to match the muzzle end of the liner with the angle of the drill point.

This probably goes without saying, but if you set up the drill with a holder in the tool post on the carriage, instead of using the tailstock, you don't have to keep sliding the tailstock back and forth on the ways, you just use the carriage hand wheel to advance and retract the drill...

After reading my post again, I should add that you of course COULD use power feed to advance the drill, but I usually saw the guys just using the hand wheel.

Also, if you did it from the breech, stopping right before you broke through with the bigger diameter of the clearance drill for the liner, not only was there no "ring," but you really couldn't tell that the barrel had been relined, unless you REALLY looked at the breech end after installation.

I hope you post back after you have done one, and post some photos of your work.!

Back