barrel holding jaws

Redesigned my removable barrel holding jaws. Fitted a ball bearing and a shoe to what I made earlier now can hold barrel super tight if needed and still float the barrel very easily. Can install or remove from the four jaw chuck in less then a minute both ways.:eek:

Chet

1 BEARING JAWS.JPG 2 BEARING JAWS.JPG 4 BEARING JAWS.JPG

Last edited:
perty cagey....

I still use 2 or 4ga copper wire

My best yet, I chuck on about 1/4" of the edge of pre 1982 copper pennies. Pre 1982 copper pennies are still copper.

Be aware when chucking a barrel too tight. Push a tight fitting lead slug through. You might have distorted the bore.

i were to use a calibrated torque wrench, about how much would it take to grab on the barrel that would prevent slippage?

i were to use a calibrated torque wrench, about how much would it take to grab on the barrel that would prevent slippage?

I'm not coyotechet, and I ain't never stayed at no Holiday Inn...... and I have no idea how many torques to slip.....but the way I use wire they neither slip nor strip nor squish thee bore (and Jerry's right, I HAVE distorted bores before)

My wires are squished down, "PRE-squished" to a flattened profile before I use them to effect. They offer about the same surface area as Jerry's pennies.

As to how tight you hold the barrel with the 1/2 inch by 3/4 inch brass holding shoe no matter how tight or loose you tighten the pressure it is spread over a much wider area allowing much less pressure at any point and is way less then the pressure point of holding with a I/4" of a copper penny or a piece of copper at that single small area of about 1/4inch or less. Many ways to hold the barrel and I have tried and used most ways just wanted a way to have more freely float of the barrel when chambering small diameter barrels .625 and less light carry rifles. Not trying to find fault with any method as they all do the job.
Chet;)

Last edited:
Very nice design and workmanship!

In the pursuit of a perfect jaws/fixture design to hold a barrel and allow it to pivot freely as it is adjusted at the other end by the spider I think the perfect solution would be some type of a ball and socket design where the ball had a hole large enough for the barrel. Some method to lock the barrel to the ball would be needed and this fixture would then go in between the four jaws of a chuck. Some way to keep the ball from spinning freely with respect to the chuck, would also be needed.

I think that all fixtures with jaws that aren't of this ball and socket-type must allow for some small amount of sliding motion of the barrel to occur while clamped between the chuck jaws and while the spider is adjusted. Therefore, the jaws cannot be so tight so as to prevent this small amount of sliding without possibly some small bending of the barrel.

Admittedly this ball-and-socket fixture design, while maybe close to a perfect solution, is likely more complicated than what is necessary for the work needed in centering a barrel, etc., and achieving good results.

Very Nice Chet

Beautiful workmanship and good thinking.:)

Me? I,m too lazy to make something like that . :rolleyes:

I have a good system for chambering in the steady rest and it has worked well for me but I sure enjoy seeing new innovations such as yours. Thanks for sharing. :)

Gene Beggs

To protect a barrel I wrap a piece of brass or aluminum around the end of the barrel when chucking it in the lathe

Nice, What are your thoughts on bolts with the swivel pad on the end?

I STILL ain't coyotechet and still haven't stayed at H.I. but I did try this a liddle bit and didn't like it. When I was adjusting it loose, aligning the cathead the bolts/feetys on mine would 'klik' and 'clunk' from side to side instead of swiveling smoothly

The more I think about this

the more practical the tubes with adjusting screws in them seem to be, using the long pin method of getting the chamber area straight. I've been thinking about making one but cant seem to stop running around in those small circles.

Pete

the more practical the tubes with adjusting screws in them seem to be, using the long pin method of getting the chamber area straight. I've been thinking about making one but cant seem to stop running around in those small circles.

Pete

take yer outside shoe off Pete....... it'll straighten ya' right out.

just make sure you're pointed TOWARD the shop at the time...

Back