Barrel Flush Systems - muzzle attachment

GeneT

So as not to hijack Pete's barrel flush thread - Al Nyhus brought up the muzzle end of a flush system, so I thought I'd ask - "what do you (all) do?". I've never found a completely satisfactory solution. The last few I've done I turn a hose barb from delrin and couple that to the barrel and the end of my rotating doohickey. The rotating doohickey is then secured via set screw to a plug in the spindle so the tube is not applying rotational force to the barrel.

I've looked at the kits Gre-Tan sells/sold with the airgun nozzle but can't for the life of me see how that would work.

The doohickey:
dh.jpg

GsT

So as not to hijack Pete's barrel flush thread - Al Nyhus brought up the muzzle end of a flush system, so I thought I'd ask - "what do you (all) do?". I've never found a completely satisfactory solution. The last few I've done I turn a hose barb from delrin and couple that to the barrel and the end of my rotating doohickey. The rotating doohickey is then secured via set screw to a plug in the spindle so the tube is not applying rotational force to the barrel.

I've looked at the kits Gre-Tan sells/sold with the airgun nozzle but can't for the life of me see how that would work.

The doohickey:
View attachment 25271

GsT

Use the search function at Accurate shooter and you should see a few different ways to attach a Dublin valve to your barrel.

Depends on how much pressure your using

The doohickey:
View attachment 25271

GsT

Gre-tan setup works well for a low pressure system, 10 lbs or so. Doesn't work with high pressure.

Richard

Thanks for this

The doohickey:
View attachment 25271

GsT

good compliment for my post.

Pete

Here's a video of a home made flush system and muzzle adapter....his muzzle gizmo starts about 8 minutes in.

The 'Deublin style' rotating hydraulic coupler is commonly used in the hydraulic world. Any decent sized hydraulic shop will have something similar or good used units. I know our local shops carry a lot of these both used and new. Seems like a lot of weight hanging on the muzzle, though. :confused: Gre-Tan offers a pretty slick little setups in two sizes. That style swivel coupler is also common place in the hydraulic world. -Al

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB7wSTCvbj8

https://www.deublin.com/en/Rotating-Union/Hydraulic-Oil

https://www.gretanrifles.com/product-page/model-bts-1

Last edited:
I have seen some using a quick connect air hose coupling for the rotating joint. At the slow RPM's of chambering they should be fine.

Iirc...

I got my Deublin coupler on eBay for about $20 (that was some years ago). I don't let the barrel support it - it's supported by a plug in the back end of my spindle (my headstock is long, the muzzle end of the barrel doesn't protrude). I try to keep the muzzle attachment from exerting *any* force on the barrel.

Here's a mock-up (The quadrant cover is open just so you can see the plug, normally the barrel attachment would protrude through the cover). The plug supports the attachment as well as locking it to the rotation of the spindle so the barrel isn't being twisted.

plug.jpg

GsT

USED boat trim pump assembly

I'm not speaking from experience yet but I plan to try this. Actually, I salvaged the pump assembly and small steering cylinders from an old boat, planning to use it for a self contained hydraulic press actuator for a bullet making press. So, there's another possible application..or something to think about. Long story short, I had it stored for years and when I went to get it..it was gone. Anyway, that's why I haven't done it yet, hoping I find it somewhere in the 42 years of mess that Dad's estate and farm shop, full of..just stuff was in. No luck to date.

Anyway, I think a used trim pump assembly might be good for this application and I hope to find it somewhere soon. Lol at that! But they can be found used on flea bay and probably a boat salvage yard if you have one nearby, reasonably priced.

They have the pump, motor and reservoir, all self contained and it's 12 volt...fwiw.
Just thought I'd toss this idea out there, fwiw.

The boat I scavenged also had a cute little 4" stroke hydraulic cylinder and all(or most) of the lines that I had plans of running thru pressure gauges and a joystick, in case I got back into making my own bullets. Just another little fwiw. I think it'd be a pretty simple job to mount that cylinder to a press ram and some gauges and switches to make a slick little self contained system for a bullet making press. With some good pressure switches and doing away with all press linkage for hand leverage, I think it could be calibrated to far surpass what we can "feel" on a typical press with all the leverage that they have. Again, just my thoughts. I have many of those that wind up costing me money and time and end up in the trash dumpster. Lol!

Another thought for a pump is a cheap PTO pump and an electric motor to drive it. They need low rpm but can make plenty of pressure and a ton of volume. They also are very tolerant of debris.

Just poor old farm boy ingenuity, so don't blame me if it winds up going in the dumpster but I think both might work.--Mike

Oh, here's a link to a trim pump assbly on flea bay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2037818776...xzq5glT6o6AH%2FjQ%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

I’m lucky since my genre almost always used 5/8-24 muzzle threads. I do the muzzle first. I have an adapter that serves other purposes in my setup, with female 5/8-24 on one end for the muzzle and female 5/8-18 LH threads on the other for a Deublin rotary union. I run it at 300psi, 4500 rpm (have tested to 6k rpm)leak free.

This obviously isn’t for everyone, but I think a simple short piece of flexible hose and some hoseclamps between a rotary union and the muzzle would be fine for low pressure, low rpm.

A8A21721-B328-4180-933C-1EF05B2B6F5A.jpgC6ECBCD6-9A0F-43B8-A52A-40304786900D.jpg

Another option that would be quick n dirty, use a rotary union with a male 3/8NPT, drill the muzzle with your Milwaukee, and run a 3/8NPT tap in.

Back