Barrel Fan

Apollo

Jason Stanley
At the NBRSA Score Nationals I was walking back to my loading area and noticed that a gentleman had a fan type device in his chamber. Recently, I did a quick internet search and came up with 2 different ones = Barrelcool ($37) and Chamber Chiller ($30-$50). Any recommendations or other options? I have no experience with any of these devices. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Stanley

Years ago,

There were folks who cycled liquid coolant through their barrels between relays. Haven't seen that in some time but haven't been around CF much of late.

Pete

I don't know about the liquid, but the barrel needs to be pointed UP and in the shade for best cooling results with or without the fans.

I purchased two air mattress/inflatable toy air pumps on Amazon. One is rechargeable battery operated the other runs on 110volts. I spent kess than $40 for the pair. Add a foot and a half of rubber tubing from the hardware and i have a barrel cooler for any contingency. They cool the barrel in about 15-20 minutes. Plenty of time between relays.

At the NBRSA Score Nationals I was walking back to my loading area and noticed that a gentleman had a fan type device in his chamber. Recently, I did a quick internet search and came up with 2 different ones = Barrelcool ($37) and Chamber Chiller ($30-$50). Any recommendations or other options? I have no experience with any of these devices. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Stanley

I got the barrel cool 2 yrs ago. Nice. Included a battery.
Tube is trim to fit. When I measured and cut. One was perfect for AR and the other half for a bolt gun.

Gadgets Galore

If you are a gadget freak, benchrest is a haven for such. Watch the experienced experts and see what kind of gadgets they use in their loading, cleaning and bench equipment. You will usually find their equipment is quite simple with no frills. :cool:

The best barrel cooler I know of is a wet terry cloth bath towel draped over the barrel while cleaning. Simple, inexpensive and trouble free, works great!

Good shootin'!

Gene Beggs

If you are a gadget freak, benchrest is a haven for such. Watch the experienced experts and see what kind of gadgets they use in their loading, cleaning and bench equipment. You will usually find their equipment is quite simple with no frills. :cool:

The best barrel cooler I know of is a wet terry cloth bath towel draped over the barrel while cleaning. Simple, inexpensive and trouble free, works great!

Good shootin'!

Gene Beggs

Yep..I will add, CO2,water,alcohol,compressed air, to name some others. The application is limited only to the imagination of the competitor.

Glenn

Yep..I will add, CO2,water,alcohol,compressed air, to name some others. The application is limited only to the imagination of the competitor.

Glenn

Have used CO2 right out of the cylinder with the valve barely cracked.
Tube and a chamber protector in place of the bolt.

Worth the effort when varmints are running hot.

It beats toasting out a good barrel.

Only takes a very few minutes with nice cold (and heavy gas) like CO2.

Back