Barrel condition and carbon fouling

P

pisces

Hi,
I have a new Remington Model Seven CDL in .17 Rem Fireball that seems to be laying down hard, glazed, carbon down the bore, especially in the leade, which is proving difficult to remove.

I'm reloading 25g grain Hornady HP over 17.7 grains of H322 with CCI primers.

I'm not getting much, if any, copper fouling, just very hard carbon.

I understand that a new, rough, factory barrel can cause copper fouling but can the same, rough, barrel condition be responsible for carbon fouling ? Or is carbon fouling only related to the combustion process - in which case, is there anything I can do to reduce the problem e.g change powder, charge load, primer ... ?

How many rounds have you shot?

The rifle is new, so not a lot, about 150 total. The first 20 were done shooting a couple and then cleaning. In fact it was during the barrel break-in period that I noticed how much black crud was coming out of the barrel. If I used a bore foam and left to soak - nothing. But, as soon as I went back to a bronze brush and Hoppes - black, gritty, crud.

Buy Iosso paste and brushes and follow the directions-----problem solved. That one was easy.

Thanks, I acknowledge that Iosso paste will remove the hard carbon. :)

But, how about the question to reduce the carbon by changing powders etc. and does a rough factory barrel contribute to carbon fouling ?

Vita Vouri powders are the cleanest. A friend has found that 140 works well in his .204 Ruger. 133 is closer to 322, I believe. How full are your cases? He had the same problem that you have with other powders. I also think that cleaning right after shooting would help. You might also try soaking with Carb Out and then brushing with a bronze brush as a regular part of your cleaning. I have done this after regular cleaning.

Carbon buildup

pisces: I'm also getting a lot of carbon build-up in front of my 204 Ruger (Hart barrel) chamber, as seen with my "Hawkeye". Using Benchmark. Have been getting excellent removal results by applying JB (original blue label) directly to the bristles ( front half) of a snug fitting bronze brush. 10 to 20 strokes, chamber to muzzle, clean out w/ Hoppes #9, dry, borescope & carbon is gone, even from the corners where the lands meet the grooves. Have not tried it, but IOSSO would probably work also. Might be the scrapping action of the bristles, with the JB that makes it so effective, but for me, it works. Brush then easily cleans off holding under hot water in the laundry tub, quickly dries & ready to use again. Seems like the smaller, "sub" calibers ( 17 & 20) may be more prone to carbon fouling. I don't have much of a problem with 22 & 6mm.

That's the same as I have found with Iosso paste. :)

Maybe I'll try Vihtavuori N530, which Quickload calculates as being closest to H322 for the .17 Rem Fireball.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't own stock, I don't sell this stuff. I use and brag about this stuff, because it works. Carbon remover go with KG-1. Copper removing go with KG-12. This stuff just works without all the BS.

https://www.kgcoatings.com/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=25

I have also found that Break Free CLP works to get the carbon out. I found this out by accident. Later on I found out that Uncle Scam:D issues it to the troops for weapons maintenance.

Back