Barrel attachment and accuracy

S

Spok

Hi there,
I want to know how the position of attachment of the barrel on the support/receiver affect accuracy.
I know that the longer the barrel, the more it has to deal with accuracy problem related to vibration.
If someone can try this, I'm curious to see how accuracy is affected, especially if you hold the barrel from the front.
g8dc8.jpg

Hi there,
I want to know how the position of attachment of the barrel on the support/receiver affect accuracy.
I know that the longer the barrel, the more it has to deal with accuracy problem related to vibration.
If someone can try this, I'm curious to see how accuracy is affected, especially if you hold the barrel from the front.
g8dc8.jpg

Guys with barrel block railguns have experimented with differing barrel positions, as you have illustrated, and found no improvement over the traditional position of the barrel furthest forward.

It may be due to the thickness of the barrel used. If you increase the second moment of area of the barrel, you increase its stiffness, and then the effect of vibrations is lessened.

Gary Vincent shot a rail gun that was barrel blocked at the front with an adjustable wedge type device under the action. The front of his barrel was glued into a block. He shot well with it. I built a front mounted V-block and took it a Nationals one year. Larry Kuse took one look at it and said we tried that years ago and it didn't work. It didn't work well with my rail either. Never did shoot it again after that Nationals. Best I was getting with it was .3's at 100 and vertical .6's at 200.

Back