Barrel/Action Torque

Guess to technical of a question with over 195 views and not one reply.
When I chamber a 6ppc for a Panda action with a head space reading of 1.115 of the action and cut the barrel chamber to 1.1150 I get no crush of and kind but the bolt has zero movement with about 80/100 lb. torque. Just wanted to know what others where calling crush and how much.

Chet

You need to cut the cone 0.010" deeper.

Guess to technical of a question with over 195 views and not one reply.
When I chamber a 6ppc for a Panda action with a head space reading of 1.115 of the action and cut the barrel chamber to 1.1150 I get no crush of and kind but the bolt has zero movement with about 80/100 lb. torque. Just wanted to know what others where calling crush and how much.

Chet

Chet, are you getting zero movement with the bolt closed on the go gage? Or are you getting zero movement without the go gage? If you're getting zero movement closing the bolt on a go gage, that's good. I routinely chamber my 6 PPC barrels to just close on a go gage. When I do that, I have to run the .220 Russian case through a size die or the bolt won't close on the case. If that's chambering for crush or not, I really don't care. I'm not going to force my bolt closed to crush the case against the front of the chamber to fire form it. Force a bolt closed on a case that's hard to chamber and you risk galling the bolt lugs. Been there done that, won't do that again. If you don't have a go gage in your chamber and you're saying you have zero movement of the bolt fore and aft, then I agree with Jerry you need more clearance on your coned breech. With the old Sako .220 Russian balloon head brass, we used to set the cone clearance as minimal as we could to get more of the case head into the chamber. With Lapua brass, thats not so much a problem. I'll cut for .005 to .010" cone clearance. The last thing you want is too little clearance on the cone.

Back