Bare bones shooting

My budget does not allow the expense of a custom built bench rest rifle and scope. My idea is a Savage target model 12 bench rest in 6mm BR and put a good scope on it. My budget does allow for the additional tools to do custom reloads. A question I have at this point is is there anybody that's shooting one of these rifles unmollested other than custom ammo?

Wayne

Just my opinion, but I think you've got it backwards. Spend the money on a used, true BR rifle, and economize on the scope. A BR rifle based on an old Shilen, Hart or Wichita action, or even a sleeved Remington can sometimes be had for not much more than the Savage, yet its potential is so much greater. Get a Sightron or Weaver scope. Way less expensive than a Leupold/Nightforce/March, and will work just fine for getting started.

Just my opinion, but I think you've got it backwards. Spend the money on a used, true BR rifle, and economize on the scope. A BR rifle based on an old Shilen, Hart or Wichita action, or even a sleeved Remington can sometimes be had for not much more than the Savage, yet its potential is so much greater. Get a Sightron or Weaver scope. Way less expensive than a Leupold/Nightforce/March, and will work just fine for getting started.

I'll go even further than Keith, even though we do agree. You can get a very accurate used benchrest rifle for less that the cost of a new Savage. I have competed in Ultimate Benchrest Modified Class for the past 4 seasons with a rifle (sleeved Remington 722) that I had $350 in when I began. At this time I have put on a new barrel, but even with the cost of the barrel and chambering I'm still in it for less than a new Savage. I also have a sleeved Remington XP-100 that currently holds the UBR Unlimited Class record for 200 yards. I have less than $800 in that rifle. You will be way if you get a rifle that's made to play the game. It doesn't have to be new to compete and win, but you will find it difficult to do either with a Savage. Feel free to ask me how I know.

Rick

I'll go even further than Keith, even though we do agree. You can get a very accurate used benchrest rifle for less that the cost of a new Savage. I have competed in Ultimate Benchrest Modified Class for the past 4 seasons with a rifle (sleeved Remington 722) that I had $350 in when I began. At this time I have put on a new barrel, but even with the cost of the barrel and chambering I'm still in it for less than a new Savage. I also have a sleeved Remington XP-100 that currently holds the UBR Unlimited Class record for 200 yards. I have less than $800 in that rifle. You will be way if you get a rifle that's made to play the game. It doesn't have to be new to compete and win, but you will find it difficult to do either with a Savage. Feel free to ask me how I know.

Rick

Rick,
How do you know that???;)

Cheers,
Keith

The Shooters Corner

Since I am only about 40 miles from them, I might run over there this week and see what they have. From the web site they seem to have a lotf of 6PPCs? Not knowledgeable about them at all except for what I read. I am looking for a 6.5x47.

Bob

99+% of all benchrest guns since the 80's are a 6ppc. He sells benchrest guns so thats gonna be about all he has.

99+% of all benchrest guns since the 80's are a 6ppc. He sells benchrest guns so thats gonna be about all he has.

Dusty--I've fired one of your 6PPC's at 100 yds., and it is easily the most accurate rifle I've ever fired. At 100 yds (the only distance I've ever fired it at.) 5 shots into a single hole, with the o/a dia. of the group (not c-c) barely over 6mm. So I have a question that's beyond the scope of the OP: What would you consider the maximum range that the 6PPC would be competitive at?

I must disagree with your numbers
The majority of all BR guns around are 6PPC, that I will not argue. But it is nowhere near 99% anymore. In Score shooting the 30 BR reigns. And Long Range ,both 600 and 1000 yards is the fastest growing segment of the modern BR sport, and the PPC is seldom seen there while the 6BR the original poster suggested is very popular.
Dick

My budget does not allow the expense of a custom built bench rest rifle and scope. My idea is a Savage target model 12 bench rest in 6mm BR and put a good scope on it. My budget does allow for the additional tools to do custom reloads. A question I have at this point is is there anybody that's shooting one of these rifles unmollested other than custom ammo?

Wayne

What type of shooting do you plan to do?

Les- the ppc was designed to shoot in our short range matches at 100, 200 and 300. I shot a 200 19x at 300 with one last time i shot at a saturday match. 20 shots mostly one hole with no wind flags

I have a Savage 12 fclass rifle in 6br that I shoot in a local VFS match. Shooting 10's is not that hard but high "X" count is sporadic.

What type of shooting do you plan to do?

I've been to our local 1000 yd range a couple times watching and learning. I kind of like the 600/1000 yd bench rest shooting. I am not fond of laying on my belly. The gong shoots look like fun to do. I have no problem with the extra tools to reload as I have not bought factory ammo since 1961 in the military.

Wayne

The only problem with the Savage is the trigger, to get a good after market trigger is tuff maybe some one makes one now. Bed it and put a weaver 46 power scope on it for 800 and a 20 minute base and a Burris signature rings and get your feet wet.…….. jim

Back