Ballistics Software Question:

Pappy

I am a newbie .... just want to shoot "stock" rifle benchrest, for now (but we all know how that goes :)), and would like know what ballistics software for PC or iPhone app, that you recommend? In air rifle BR, I used one from Hawke that would have pre-selected pellets, BC's, and reticle choices.
I have a Nightforce 12-42X56 Benchrest, but they discontinued their own ballistic software. I saw another current one, but they want $395! Yikes, for that kind of money I'll just wet my finger, stick it in the air and holdover until I hit the target. I don't mind paying for a good program.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Pappy

I am a newbie .... just want to shoot "stock" rifle benchrest, for now (but we all know how that goes :)), and would like know what ballistics software for PC or iPhone app, that you recommend? In air rifle BR, I used one from Hawke that would have pre-selected pellets, BC's, and reticle choices.
I have a Nightforce 12-42X56 Benchrest, but they discontinued their own ballistic software. I saw another current one, but they want $395! Yikes, for that kind of money I'll just wet my finger, stick it in the air and holdover until I hit the target. I don't mind paying for a good program.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Pappy

Applied Ballistics has a nice phone app that's pretty inexpensive (~$40, IIRC). They also have the nicest desktop program I've seen, for $200. Which program cost $395?

GsT

There's lots of free ballistics calculators free online. The one at the Berger Bullets site is one of the best. I have the Sierra program on my laptop but don't use it much. I no longer shoot further than 200 meters, so I don't much need one. When I was shooting F-Class and Service Rifle out to 600 yards, I used one for load development but those sports involve too much time in the sun for me now. Three bouts of skin cancer got my attention.

The Hawke ballistics program works pretty well if you input the ballistic coefficients etc of your projectiles. I have used it successfully to calculate how many clicks to adjust my scope for different ranges, it is usually within a click or two.

It told me to wind my elevation up by 64 clicks on a 1/8 MOA per click scope to hit the 100m bull from a 50m zero, 63 clicks nailed it. (.22RF, Eley Tenex)

Don't worry about the air rifle bit, the ballistics are the same for any projectile but you have to tell it about your projectiles b/c, m/v etc so go into the custom options.

Great software, poke about here to find it https://www.hawkeoptics.com/

doghunter

The Hawke ballistics program works pretty well if you input the ballistic coefficients etc of your projectiles. I have used it successfully to calculate how many clicks to adjust my scope for different ranges, it is usually within a click or two.

It told me to wind my elevation up by 64 clicks on a 1/8 MOA per click scope to hit the 100m bull from a 50m zero, 63 clicks nailed it. (.22RF, Eley Tenex)

Don't worry about the air rifle bit, the ballistics are the same for any projectile but you have to tell it about your projectiles b/c, m/v etc so go into the custom options.

Great software, poke about here to find it https://www.hawkeoptics.com/

doghunter

Thanks dog .... I used that for years, especially when I had Hawke sidewinder scopes. Worked well for me out to 100 yards. I have Hornady and Ballistic AE so far on iPhone ..... will check out PC software now.

Pappy

Back