Ballistic help wanted

Don Stith

Can one of you ballistic Guru's give me a hand with this calculation. I would like to know the drop at 100 and 200 yards with a .660 diameter round ball that weighs 1 oz and has a muzzle velocity of 1600 fps. Seems like it out to be in the range of several feet.
Thanks
Don

Not enough information in the op

I'll "guess" stool used the standard sight-to-bore offset of 1.5" from a scope to centerline of bore, which, with a 25yd zero (NOT a typical crossover pt BTW) will give dramatically different results from open sights where the numbers are more like 7"" low at 100 and 55" low at 200yds....

Drop from the bore, which is what your post seems to indicate??? more than doubles these numbers.

You'll need to better define your question if you want an answer that's within feet of your target.

al

Thanks
It would be open sights. I was thinking trajectory would be independent of launch angle. Just can't compensate for fuzzy thinking

Use a BC of .086 for a round lead ball of any diameter, at least thats what the old Lyman muzzleloading book said. If I can find my book, I might have the trajectory tables also.

Will the ballistics calculators not help with this? I use Hornady's online calculator lately, it's good for how smart I am.

As with any rifle/bullet, it will still be best to establish a Zero, then shoot to a extended distances and measure the actual true drop.

Example:
From a 50yd Zero, shoot 3-shots at 100yds and measure the drop to the group center (same at other distances). Then take the data and apply it to a ballistic software and adjust the BC, velocity, sight-height until they match up to your results. Then you will have ballistics that are accurate and true to your rifle/bullet/velocity and your own unique scenario.

My 2-cents
Donovan Moran

Back