Automation direct VFD ??

eddief

Eddie Fosnaugh
I have a used 3ph 1 1/2 HP bridgeport mill with vari-speed.

I, like most need to convert my single phase power from the garage to three phase power to run the mill.

I have one of these in the box

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ts_(115_-z-_230_-z-_460_-z-_575_VAC)/GS2-22P0

Will this allow me to power a machine that has its own variable speed drive (mechanical) and operate the machine like normal (braking and changing speed by the dial on the head)?

If so, would I just set the VFD to 60Hz and be ready to go?

Thanks!

Yes, it will work as a phase converter. Agood friend of mine bought one for his Bridgeport and you can use the VFD as speed controll also (very handy)
You can also progam ramp up speed and braking and much more.
I am considering putting a 3Ph motor on my lathe just so I can use a VFD.

Steve

I have had a 1 HP VFD from Automation Direct on my cone pully drive Bridgeport for many years. You will find that electronic speed control is much easier to use than the mechanical variable speed Bridgeport system. The main difference is the fact that the mechanical speed control is constant horsepower. This means that the available torque at the spindle goes up as the speed is reduced. VFD drive is at best constant torque until you get below about 30HZ, below which torque has to be reduced due to potential motor heating (unless you have a special inverter duty motor which the standard Bridgeport motor is not). The VFD takes low frequency operation into account and will reduce the available current as the freq. falls so that the motor is protected. That's the theory. In practice, with a 1.5 hp motor you will rarely if ever need the maximum motor torque at any speed. So, you can set the mechanical speed control to a ratio that will provide the the maximium spindle speed desired with a motor freq. of 120 HZ. ( 1800 RPM motors can handle this) Then you can command the VFD to run from say 10 HZ to 120 HZ with the turn of a knob, obtaining a 12:1 speed range. 10 Hz gives you a spindle crawl that is good for power tapping and tool positioning. This is facilitated with a "Jog" button which runs the VFD when depressed and stops the VFD when the button is released. then you need a start button, stop button ( mushroom head),and a forward-reverse selector sw. Next is a speed control pot with a nice big knob. All this equipment can be mounted in a small metal control cabinet along with the VFD display. The VFD can be mounted in the same cabinet on the rear wall. I have mine in such a cabinet along with the DRO cabinet on a standard display arm bolted to the top of the mill within easy reach.

Since the mechanical system is not used in variable mode, it will last much longer before it needs rebuilding. Once you get a VFD you will be spoiled.

RWO

I have a Hitachi VFD on one of my Bridgeports and a Westinghouse on my other. A great way to convert to 3 phase and it is quiet.
Butch

Back