Article about the 22 CHeetah

L

lil64gto

I am looking for anyone that would have an article that Jim Carmichel put out that gave specific details on the development, case preparation, and loads for the 22 CHeetah Mk I & II.

The gunsmith that turned me on to this round has since retired and I can't find this article.

I would really appreciate it if anyone had one, would send me a copy of it.

Thanks

Jim

22 Cheetah

Don't have a reference to the Carmicheal article, however, my Hodgdon Manual #26 has a short write up and load data. Since the .308 Remington BR cases with small primer pockets used to form the Cheetah are no longer generally available its probably a moot point anyway. If you want a larger .224 caliber with small primer pocket cases, you might consider the .22X47 Lapua. As it happens I'm having a Kreiger 8 twist barrel chambered for the .22X47 Lapua that should be finished in a couple of weeks. I hope to approach .22/250 AI velocities with a bit less powder. More later when I have a chance to do some testing. Vic

Last edited:
I read that article

back when I was in High school. Mid to late eighties. I don't think I can find it right away. But I will look.

Oh, just in case I would like to know if you mean the Outdoor life article?:eek:

Gees it would be nice if Carmichel would expound on this cartidge.

Mark D. Spencer:)

M.D.

I am not sure if it was in the Outdoor Life or not, it's been too long. The article Faster than the Swift appeared in Outdoor Life.

Thanks

Jim

I am looking for anyone that would have an article that Jim Carmichel put out that gave specific details on the development, case preparation, and loads for the 22 CHeetah Mk I & II.

The gunsmith that turned me on to this round has since retired and I can't find this article.

I would really appreciate it if anyone had one, would send me a copy of it.

Thanks

Jim

I read Jim's article and rechambered a 22/250 to the cheetah.
It did everything Jim said it would do.
I used remington basic brass(308 with small rifle primer)
42 grains of imr-4064 gave 4260 fps in my gun but the load was hot,i reduced it by 2 grains and was getting about 4050 fps.
It was a thunder and was death on crows at 400 yds.
If you use the .243 brass,it will be thicker and a large rifle primer will drive the pressures up a bit,a 22/250 ackley will do anything the cheetah will do.
Have fun,be prepared to replace barrel at 500-700 rounds.
The accuracy was there,i got some groups at .250 but the average group was .4

I found a May 1984 issue

Not a lot of info. But worth posting. P.S. I've p!ssed my wife off.. So it might be a day or two. She doesn't share my need to have a AR-15. :mad: I hate Hilliary R. Clinton.

article

i think i have a copy of handloader magazine with the article by lane simpson on the 224 cheetah yea he said it was a barrel burner. i will see if i can find it. got too many old magazines.

Remington 308s with small primers

I don't know if he still has them, but kent Reeve over on LongRange dot com had a quantity of Remington 308 brass with small primer pockets for sale a year or so back.
Nat Lambeth

CHeetah

I found a reprint of the Handloader .22 CHeetah MkII article by Layne Simpson in Wildcat Cartridges Volume II published by Wolf Publishing Company. Simpson discusses in some detail the ignition problems (hangfires and misfires) that seemed to plague this cartridge. Also according to Ken Howell's book Designing and forming Custom Cartridges the CHeetah case dimensions are somewhat similar, but not identical to the .22/243 Middlested. Case capacity is shown to be the same for the CHeetah and Middlested. I have been tempted to try the Middlested as a replacement for my .22/250 AI's (to use Lapua .243 brass) , but now that I've been able to find good brass for the .22/250 AI's I don't see the need. Vic

There is a pretty good article in THE VARMINT HUNTERS MAGAZINE, within the last year or so.
The guy had to find the right powder and end up using LG rifle primers .

Hal

Outdoor Life

This article by Jim Carmichael was published in Outdoor Life sometime between 1983 and 1987.

It was interesting not only for the cartridge, but also for Jim's use of a ballistics calculation program on a Radio Shack TRS-80 computer...remember those!? :eek:

I have this magazine mixed in with my piles of other shooting magazines, but it would take me a while to find it.

Check your local library. They often have back issues in original copies or microfilm. Ask the reference librarian to find it in the Readers Guide to Periodical Literature and locate a copy that you might be able to get through interlibrary loan.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Greg,

Unfortunately where I live the librarys are very small and a lot of the books are donated. There is a library about 30 miles from where I live that would most likely have this article.

I want to thank everyone that has responded to my original post. You all have been very helpful.

Thank you

Jim

M.D. Spencer

Do you have any way of scanning this article? If not I would be willing to send self address with a stamp on it if you could mail it to me.

Thanks

Jim

22 cheetah

I have the copy of outdoor life with the Carmichael story. May 1984. I can scan it and email it to you if you wish.

Thanks, just let me know
Glenranch

22 Cheetah I & II

Hi, Did you get the copy of Jim Carmichal's article on the 22 Cheetah I & II ?
I just made a scan if you need one let me know

I have both from back in the late 1980's.

Cheetah I.
Rem 700 action, unknown SS barrel.
Shoots as good as 22-250 with tame loads
Shoots faster if pushed with good groups
52 gn HP IMR4064 @ 44 gn will push it up over 4K MV
Rem 308 BR brass with small primer

Cheetah II.
Scholtz & Larson M54 action
Shilen match select SS barrel
Shoots excelent all the time.
52 gn Ross and Sherman HP
Rem 308 BR brass with small primer
IMR4064 @ 41 1/2 gn
Will have to put it on the crony again.
Don't find the MV of it at this time?

Haven't shot them in 3 years...too many other hobbies.

Thanks,
Teran in North Dakota

Lost and now found.

Click pics for full size. Article is from May 1984 Outdoor Life.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 891
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 588
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 575
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 623
  • Image5.jpg
    Image5.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 615
Sorry for such a long time to respond back to everyone. A lot of things happened since I posted this thread and just now getting back into this.

Thank you very much M.D.Spencer for the scans. I have saved them and printed them out.

Samehole, do you have any records of what the minimum overall case length should be for the Mark II? I can't remember if it is 2.010 or 2.020.

I did find some 308BR brass, but would like to buy some more so if you guys know anyone that might have some for sale please let me know.

Thanks and I promise I will stay up on the responses for this thread.

Jim

Back