Army Colonel would like discarded 6PPC brass

redfeather

I met Jackie and several others at the Blue Bonnet BR Match at Howard Dietz Range in New Braunfels. I am building an AR-15 upper in 6 PPC, and I would like to get some about to be discarded 6PPC used brass because I will not need new brass to begin my AR-15 program. I know most BR shooters discard the 6PPC brass after 10 loadings, or so. I will gladly pay for the brass and shipping cost. Please email me at brx@austin.rr.com . Thanks in advance...the Colonel.

Be careful!

Discarded PPC brass has usually been severely over loaded. Putting it in a non matching chamber is asking for trouble. Especially in a non bolt gun.

Discarded PPC brass has usually been severely over loaded. Putting it in a non matching chamber is asking for trouble. Especially in a non bolt gun.

I agree, BE CAREFUL!..... and furthermore, this brass that's been overloaded is HARD! Stretch it and it'll split.

I'm sure you're aware that brass, unlike steel, gets harder and more brittle with age and movement. It's called "work-hardening" and it's real. I'm posting this as much for those who read to learn here as for you yourself :)

al

I would strongly recommeend that if you intennd to tippy-toe around the upper load winndoow of this case you do it carefully. The Benchrest loads are intended to be shot in a bolt gun. Some across the course shooters have tried this combination with mixed success.You will need a sizer that will size for your chamber. An off-the-shelf sizer may or may not do this. Also be advised that if your chamber is a standard battle rifle chamber the neck turned PPC brass will have a lot of clearance in that chamber neck.

Mike Swartz

since i have one, i'll step in.( its a single shot, no gas system).
6ppc shoots very well in the load windows at the top. this means the brass is geting alot of pressure per shot. it works cause the brass moves very little in a match chamber.
i have a reamer from pacific tool and gauge.
i'm having extraction problems at the bottom of the normal load of 6ppc.
if i was going to build a functioning semi-auto i'd be looking at the 22 beggs and the 6mm beggs. both of these retain the body taper of the parent cartridge(220 russian/7.62x39) which i believe is more desireable than the straight wall of the 6ppc.

reddings small base die(sbd) in 6ppc works well to full length size my brass.

using used brass for this program is not a wise choice. there are way too many different reamers, too many load combinations resulting in varying brass hardness which means shot to shot variation.

maybe if you told us what your planning we could help.

mike in co
aka
ar10ar15man

Al.....................................

I'm sure you're aware that brass, unlike steel, gets harder and more brittle with age and movement. It's called "work-hardening" and it's real.

Haven't worked much with steel........................................ have you?:mad:

Redfeather

The best option for you to get a quantity of brass at a cheap price is to buy the SSA (silver state armory) 6ppc brass from Graf & Sons..it sell for $44.95 per hundred...it is already in 6ppc form (no expanding or fireforming needed)..
Some experience benchrest shooters state that it is too soft to handle the heavy pressures of loads in the upper load window...I suggest you start in the lower window and work up to a safe load...It is good consistent brass...
I sold my 100 new pieces to a local friend/shooter and he proceeded to kick everyones butt with this (so-called lesser) brass...I was very impressed with how well his 6ppc shoots with the SSA brass...Give it a try...a bargain for the price...

I'm sure you're aware that brass, unlike steel, gets harder and more brittle with age and movement. It's called "work-hardening" and it's real.

Haven't worked much with steel........................................ have you?:mad:

That was not well thought out ;)

Yes, steels work-harden too, some more than others.

Although why this would make you :mad: mad :mad: is beyond me! ;)

thanks for the correction.

al

What neck size do you need?
You are probably aware that we use a lot of different reamers for 6PPC and besides the variations in base dimensions and shoulder lenght we use a lot of different neck dimensions.
SO if you cut your chamber for a .262 neck and I gave you some .269 brass then you would still need to turn the necks or else you would have some problems.

Ted

COl if you can make it by Camp Mabry this week I will get you some fire formed brass to work with. I also might have some SS brass as well.

TED

Redfeather,

I was going to trade you brass for some "Salt Lick" BBQ ribs but it seems you have the matter solved. I visited your neighborhood back in April this year.
Daughter is a prof. at UT Austin.

Jim

Cases with alot of taper; re. 7.62x39 or the 220 russian, don't work well in AR15 magazines.---Mike

Ted H. please email me...

I decided to rechamber one of me Rem. 700 SA to 6 PPC, so I am now going the bolt gun route. Ted I can link up with you at Camp Mabry...please email me at brx@austin.rr.com with your info. Thanks...the colonel.

Back