Are you shooting 1k BR with a gun equipped with an ejector or without?

What is your 1k rig equipped with?

• Total voters
DSM I us a spring that gets the case out of the port but dosen't through it of the bench. Always figured if you had to take the ejector out to keep the case straight you better get a new gunsmith! because your chamber is not right. Have seen people try it, but if you fumble like me its slow.

Joe Salt

The matches I have been to, it seems the faster shooters are using drop ports and they shoot their shots in just a few seconds. I shoot a RB/RP without an ejecter and am as slow as molasses on a cold day. I just ordered a Viper drop port from Stiller for that reason. Don

Use a left port action. No ejector. If you are using a big case, the cut-out for the drop port may cause more problems than it cures.

JMHO

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray:

I agree with you. A left port is very fast with or without an ejector. However, when I shot a left port, I always worried about a blown primer close to my face. Thereafter, with large magnum cases, I went with a right/right just for safety reasons.

Jim Hardy

I have shot many different actions over that last 40yrs (Witicitaw (sp)-Hart-Rem.-Stolle) all with a port on the Left and sometimes a port on both sides...always with an ejector ....the only thing I worry about when a primer blows is "ruining the trigger".....Roger

Use a left port action. No ejector. If you are using a big case, the cut-out for the drop port may cause more problems than it cures.

JMHO

Ray

Is anyone making a drop port for anything larger than the BR?

I had not heard of one. That would be interesting.

BH

Ray:

I agree with you. A left port is very fast with or without an ejector. However, when I shot a left port, I always worried about a blown primer close to my face. Thereafter, with large magnum cases, I went with a right/right just for safety reasons.

Jim Hardy

Mr Hardy makes a good point that shouldn't just be dismissed with the "I've done this for years and here to tell about it".

I'm a lefty and shoot a LBRP to where the port is facing towards me also. I have had 2 primers leak on me with my LG over the years. These were not pierced primers due to the firing pin diameter or too much pressure. But something in the cup let loose out on the rounded corner and I got the big puff of high velocity gases and small particles blown in my face both times. That was small shards of brass and some steel I assume from the burnt ring in my bolt face. I wear large rimmed glasses just for this reason. Glad I had glasses on when both of these incidents happened. Once was shooting F-Class and Butner and the second time was out in Iowa. Both primers were from the same lot#. In the one case when I deprimed it.... I never found the anvil!!

So things can go wrong and your face is right there with that setup. I love the LBRP configuration and can smoothly shoot and keep my face looking through the scope watching for wind changes with this setup while reloading.

BUT... Wear glasses and play it safe is all I'm saying. Things can and done fail once in awhile. With that said I'm not a big fan of looking down into a port and seeing that big cutout for a Sako extrator. That makes we nervous with or without glasses.

be safe!
Steve

P.S. - I have always used an extractor with a softer/shortened up spring. Just so the cases roll out of the action.

Is anyone making a drop port for anything larger than the BR?

I had not heard of one. That would be interesting.

BH

I designed and built my own action and i incorporated a drop port into the bottom of the receiver. Initialy it was sized for the little BR case but as the rifle took shape i changed my mind and lengthened the port to take a longer case. Right now it'll drop the 284 Shehane cases i'm shooting perfectly but of course it's too short to drop loaded rounds.
I realy like the drop port, cases just fall out the bottom into a cushy towle.
I am kicking my self though, that i made it a right port instead of a left port.. Perhaps next time... :D

I don't know why they are not more popular, i wouldn't shoot with anything else now..

Cheers
Leeroy

I saw your action work in another thread, very nice work you do! It would be very interesting to see your drop port in action.

Back