Are we getting gypped

Andy Cross

I opened a new canister of N133 the other day and just out of curiosity I decided to weigh the contents. I have never bothered doing this in the past. It was a 1Kg canister which is 2.2 pounds. I believe there is 7000 grains to the pound. Turns out it was 105 grains short. Not a big deal I know but times the number of canisters they sell each year and that would amount to a nice little saving.

Do you think this may be just a one of light container or have others found this error in other types of powder. I have a sneeky suspicion we might be getting gypped a little bit.

Andy.

Don't know about powder but several years ago I bought several 100 count boxes of 30 cal bullets from a commercial maker...not a custom bullet maker. Now they don't count every bullet into the box, they do it on weight. For the heck of it...the contents looked short...I counted. There were 94 bullets in the first box and 90 in the second. I contaced the company, they were apologetic and send me another box of bullets. Very nice of them. I guess the bottom line is that quality control may have been a bit off the mark. Same with Vit perhaps? I'm certain both are not intentional. --Greg

I don't belive I've seen a (Kilo) package of powder in the states 2 lbers yes just not Kilo. I've a bunch of Viht powders in the 2 lbers.

I opened a new canister of N133 the other day and just out of curiosity I decided to weigh the contents. I have never bothered doing this in the past. It was a 1Kg canister which is 2.2 pounds. I believe there is 7000 grains to the pound. Turns out it was 105 grains short. Not a big deal I know but times the number of canisters they sell each year and that would amount to a nice little saving.

Do you think this may be just a one of light container or have others found this error in other types of powder. I have a sneeky suspicion we might be getting gypped a little bit.

Andy.

How much did the container weigh ?
Did it say 1KG NET weight

In past years I've gotten a 101 count with Sierra and Hornaday bullets. I guess they found it more profitable to err on the plus side and avoiding the "pain in the ass" complaints. I've also found that a legit call to Customer Service ends with customer satisfaction.

Geez! I wish I had time to count bullets and weigh powder.

If you think you are getting gypped, DO NOT weigh the packages of meat from your butcher, the actual number of tissues in a box of Kleenex, or the exact gallons of gas that you get for your $50. If you do, you'll REALLY get pi$$ed.:cool::cool:

Ray

andy,
if it was 2.2kg and short 105, that is 0.7%.....an error of less than one percent. with automated machinery i think it probably inside thier tolerance. not a money plan.
mike in co

Andy.

Ray........when you have 2 loading blocks of 50 cases each being topped off with bullets and have one bullet left over, you don't have to count what's in the box. That's how I knew. Never had one short. It may sound chinzy....but I wanted to comment.

Is it possible the moisture content of the powder could contribute to the difference? Some of the original moisture may have excaped into the air in the container.
Bill

Andy,

What was the manufacture date of the powder?

How long & in what condition was it stored?

Incidentally, the first thing I do when I purchase powder is check tighten the lid. It usually snugs up, irrespective of brand.

John

Funny story - Years ago when Berger Bullets was in Glendale, I went into the store to buy some stuff. A young girl who I did not know was behind the counter. She asked if she could help me? I said, "Yes, I bought 5000 bullets from you last week and I counted them. There were only 4999 in the boxes. What are you going to do about that?" She was speechless. She said she would talk to the manager. She went into the back and was there for several minutes, I could hear her explaining the situation to someone. Then, out walked Eric. When he saw it was me we almost rolled on the floor laughing. Afterwards, I thought, it's a good thing she didn't tell Eunice. She probably would have chased me outside with a broomstick.

Ray

I don't belive I've seen a (Kilo) package of powder in the states 2 lbers yes just not Kilo. I've a bunch of Viht powders in the 2 lbers.

I will answer several replies with this single posting. We are metric in Oz. Mos powders manufactured in Europe and other commonwealth countries are sold in Australia in Kg lots.

I weighed the powder only not the container. The date of manufacture was 18 months ago. A chemical engineer working in the explosives industry told me somkless propellant is essentially a form of plastic. It will not absorb water. Trying to ring a tech rep at Vit in Europe is like trying to speak to the president. It wasn't so much a complaint as an observation. I think the small error could save the company and any others be it food manufacturers or anything else a lot of money over a period of time. I am sure the error is conveniently within the limits set by our ACCC or what ever the US equivalent is.
Andy.

Does your scale weigh with accuracy less than 1/2 of 1% ?? if not, this thread is a monumental waste of time. A Kg is 2.2046 lb.

;)This thread has me rolling on the floor...WOW! just WOW!
And written with a straight face no doubt...

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you work for Vit

;)This thread has me rolling on the floor...WOW! just WOW!
And written with a straight face no doubt...

My guess is that you work for Vit. I would be rolling on the floor in that case too if I were saving the company that much money each year.

My guess is that you work for Vit. I would be rolling on the floor in that case too if I were saving the company that much money each year.

My guess is that I'm just not enough of a tighta$$ to give this thread much attention...:cool:

Andy.

No

al

I think that you would need to get same or similar results from a number of containers. If you got the same or similar results from 5 bottles of powder in a row then I would say than maybe you are on to something. BUt with only one sample I wouldn't even begin to make a statement of wrong doing.
If they fill the bottles using a volumetric measure similar to how we load bullets at the range, then I would think that their standards would be similar to ours. 1/2 of 1 percent for a 30 grain charge is .15 grains which is about as good as my powder dump can do. So possibly the next bottle off of the line might have an extra 100 grns of powder.
But I would like to see more samples.

Back