ARA Project Rifles

I thought Kirks son Michael actually won it...I guess you guys would know...I wasn't shooting ARA then but I remember some Calfee posts of him congratulating Michael on how well the rifle shot. I also remember shootin in Springfield MO and seeing Michael shooting the rifle.

Charlie

Righthanded

Michael is Right handed, and thats why you saw him shoot the gun. Kirk is Left handed. Calfee will congratulate almost everyone one that shoots one of his guns. Free publicity. That's the way I remember it. I haven't seen either one shooting ARA lately, and that should be of no surprise. Teenagers choices, change and other thing happen in their life. We miss anyone that has shot in the past and wish them the best.

Mackey.

It would be nice to see the project gun given to someone that could use it. Maybe like a youth shooter. If the gun is given to someone who can afford one, what's the point? If they already compete at the nationals they most likely shoot a custom gun and have money to buy anything out there. Take the project gun and give it to a youth or up coming shooter that could use it. Give it to someone that needs, wants or earns it. All ARA SHOOTERS SHOULD HAVE A CHANCE, not just those who attend the nationals.
Just my two cents....................

ARA project rifle

I'm still here and still have the gun. Winning that gun was one of the best days of my life. Memories last forever. My son and I had some wonderful times shooting rimfire benchrest, especially ARA. Michael is almost 17 now and his priorities are changing (almost on a daily basis), but he is doing fine. I also have two daughters Michaelah 12 and Shelby 15. They go to a Catholic school almost 20 miles from where we live, so all my extra money is going to that and an already short college fund for them.

I believe the project rifle concept is a good one and should remain intact. It gives something back to the shooters that contribute to this organization. In my case it provided my son with an extrordinary rifle on which to compete with. Look back at the records, he did some remarkable things. Officially I won the rifle, he used it and I still have it. My plans are to keep it as a heirloom for my son and hopefully his son someday, but I won't give it to him until he is of the age to truely appreciate it and won't do something stupid like sell it.

Yes, the rifle was right handed and I shoot left, fate works in mysterious ways, don't you think? I did purchase all the parts for Mr. Calfee to build me an exact copy, I was going to call it the "ARA II", but it never happened.

I still shoot a little RF BR here locally, smallbore silhouette's and am the match director for some friendly CF BR matches, once a month, Sept thru April. I just traded for a 1000 yd rifle, going to try that, too. I am just so busy in life and my kids, the shooting that I am doing is strictly local. I have nothing against the ARA and hope to return someday.

I was at the Nationals this year, stopped by on Friday night to visit with all the wonderful people that shoot this game. I got in right around 5, most people had already left. I did make sure and see the gun. I think Brian did a great job. I also had supper with Mike, Mark, Dennis, and others, and wished them good luck. I did call Mike Sherrill after he got home and I thought it was great that he won the rifle. Since he lives in Calfee country, I think maybe he should donate it to me so my youngest daughter would have one to call her own. No, I'm just kidding with Mike S.

I think that pretty much sums up how I feel about the project rifle.:):):)

Last edited:
ARA & Project Rifles

I was very fortunate to meet Kirk and Michael at the 2003 ARA Nationals. They were shooting the bench right next to me. I made one of the worst blunders possible during that tournament. While Kirk was down range hanging his target I bumped his gun barrel while his gun was on his rest. Of course he had a nice rest that wasn't binding at all on his rifle. I quickly realized what had happened and caught it before it hit the the concrete floor. It did come out of the rest and made contact with the bench. Luckily there appeared to be no harm done. At the time I didn't know who the rifle belonged to but, I stayed with it until Kirk returned and explained to him about what happened, apologizing over and over. He quickly stated that he had done worse than that to it before and not to worry about it that everything would be fine. Here I was ready to take a berating, a whuppin', pay for repairs, or what ever it would take to make it right and all I got was a new friend for life. Man was I tickled to see him win the ARA Project Rifle that year. I was thrilled to see Kirk again this year. Even though he wasn't able to participate in this years Nationals he made it a point to stop by on his way home Friday evening to visit. This is just an example of how close friends become in our game. By the way Kirk, I will keep your daughter in mind if I decide to give this beautiful rifle away but, maybe your ARA Project Rifle will fit her in the mean time.

I have been equally happy for all of the winners over the past years. It is a special thing to win a prize like an ARA Project Rifle. The rifle is a symbol of what is good about the giving people that shoot our benchrest game. I have met the best people in our game. Everyone is always ready to help when somebody needs the loan of equipment or asks a little advice. I'm thrilled to have become a part of benchrest. The people are the best part of our game.

The 2008 ARA Project Rifle smithed by Brian Voelker is a beautiful rifle. I have shot it while doing some preliminary testing and it shows promise of being a very accurate and competitive rifle. I'm confident it will be a shooter. Thanks to all who made this ARA Project Rifle possible.

I hope Macky and the ARA continues to build and give away these fine Project Rifles in the coming years. I want see other people be as lucky as us past winners. It is a great feeling to win something as special as one of these rifles.

Mike Sherrill

Macky,
Just the two-cents of a new comer to this wonderful sport. I view the annual Project rifle as an essential part of ARA lore.

It has been interesting to read who smithed the gun, what components were donated and who was the lucky person who took it home. It brings the ARA community together in a unique way.

As has been stated, people might sell their prize for various reasons, but the ARA Project rifle will always be used in competition and it's history will be maintained.

I hope you write the article, and I hope this fine tradition continues.

Best,
Michael

Yeah, need to keep it going. Make the next one weigh 40 pounds then it has to stay in ARA.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've read them all, and it appears that the majority of you want us to continue with the ARA Project Rifle giveaway. Therefore, we will.

I know from the enthusiasm I've witnessed at each of the rifle giveaways, it is a very popular part of each ARA National Championship event. As the final part of each Nationals, various door prizes from the host club are given away, the winning competitors receive their awards, and it finally is time for the drawing for the rifle.

By this time of the day on Sunday, everyone is packed and ready to head for home. As the winning name is drawn, everyone but the winner runs for their cars like a Le Mans start in the famous car race. In a cloud of dust, all but one head home disappointed their name wasn't drawn, but the seeing the smile on the winner's face is always a great moment for me.

Yes, we'll continue the ARA Project Rifle. I just hope it is treated with the respect it deserves and not as a liquid asset.

Thanks again for your comments.

Macky

I say keep it up.Are all the nationals going to be held in MO.? I personaly would like a vacation to a different state what ddoes everyone else think?? JLG

Back