ARA Project Rifles

M

Macky Locklin

It is very ironic that only last night I emailed Polly, asking her to give me a list of all the winners of each of the various ARA Project Rifles that we’ve had built and given away as part of our National Championship matches ever year since 2003. It was my intention to write an article about the rifles for the next issue of the ARA News and entitle it, “Where Are They Now”, referring to the Project Rifles.

I say it is ironic because I know of at least one rifle that was sold almost immediately after it was won at the Nationals, and tonight, I looked at the Classified Section of this very Forum and noticed that the 2007 Project Rifle was for sale. This makes me both sad and a little angry. Maybe I’m wrong on this, but it seems that when a gift drops into the lap of a lucky competitor, it shouldn’t be viewed as loot or something that can be immediately turned into cash.

Whenever I thought of the concept of building a nice, state of the art rifle to give away as a prize at our biggest competitive event, it was meant as a way of thanking our competitors for their support of ARA. Giving something back, you might say. I’m now rethinking that idea. I envisioned that these rifles would enter competition in the hands of the lucky winner and we could follow their progress as they were used in various matches across the country.

Our first gunsmith was Bill Calfee who built the 2003 ARA Project Rifle. It was won by Kirk Larson. The 2004 rifle was put together by James Messer, won by Charles Scott. Then Gene Davis smithed the 2005 rifle, won by Bob Micketts. The 2006 rifle was built by Bill Myers and won by Larry Wallace.

Already mentioned is the 2007 Randy Leger built rifle won by Fred Hampton which included a beautiful built-for-the-rifle one piece rest. And, rounding out the field, the latest Project Rifle, just given away at the 2008 ARA National Championship match, was built by Brian Voelker and won by Mike Sherrill.

I suppose the need for writing the article for the ARA News is now a moot point. In some cases, ARA received partial donations for some of the various components or discounts from their makers, and the gunsmiths who provided their services. But, in many cases, the prices we paid were straight retail for some items. There wasn’t one rifle that one could value at less than $3,000.00, considering the components and the names of the famed gunsmiths. In truth, ARA spent a bundle on these 6 rifles over the years, not to mention the efforts of the builders and ARA to put them together, only to sadly see them placed on the market and turned into cash.

These should be collector’s items, cherished and envied by all, not sold for profit. It’s like an Oscar that is given away in Hollywood and later turns up in a pawn shop.

I’d like to know the feelings of others about whether or not ARA should continue the practice of building and giving away a Project Rifle each year or if the prize is an idea whose time has come and gone.

Macky Locklin

I think, assuming it is cost effective, you should continue doing the project rifle. I think the chance of winning, though maybe 1 in 112, may be the deal maker that causes people to decide to go to the tournament rather than a generic Labor Day cookout. I also don't see a problem with selling the rifle and I don't agree with the comparison with the Oscar. The rifle is given away by raffle, or pure chance, and is not based on merit in any way unless you count the ability to make it to the range and hold on to your name tag for two days. Also, just because it is the project rifle does not make it the best rifle or even better than the one the person who wins is already using. So, I wouldn't necessarily expect the winner to campaign with it. The last thing that lucky person may need is a new rifle and somebody else might would love to have it. The medium of exchange between the two would be cash. Since the person who won it received a value, he/she should expect to be able to liquidate that value.

I think your article would be even more interesting seeing as many of the rifles have changed hands if you can find the rifles. Where are they now? How did they get there? What do the owners think of them? Personally, should you decide to write it, I look forward to reading it.

Also, are you sure that's the project rifle in the classifieds or is it just a Ledger "ARA Special" that he normally advertises on his website?

Last edited:
project rifle

If you'd just draw my name out as the winner.:D I'd be honered to use any one of the rifles that have been given away, and I think years from now some of those that have sold theirs will regret not having them to look back at. But I don't think you should stop doing this just because some of them wind up in the classifieds. just my $.02 worth

I looked in the classified section tonight and I did not see the 2007 project rifle for sale. I did see one of Randy's ARA Specials for sale but it has the wrong color stock to be the 2007 project rifle. If was on here I must have missed it.

I would like to see the project rifles continue, I stand a better chance of getting run over by a bus at the range than winning anything. I wouldn't be likely to sell any rifle I won I hate selling any rimfire rifle.

James Pappas just called and said he agreed with Beau in that he thinks the rifle listed in the Classified section is not the ARA Project Rifle. If so, I stand corrected.

I'd still like to know how important the Project Rifle is to everyone.

Macky

Steve's equipment

I believe that Randy built this rifle for Steve. I have a photo of the 2007 rifle and they do look different. I'll see if I can find it. As for the Project Rifles, It sure would be nice to give the cash value of the rifle to the winners of the event instead. All I see is a bunch of out of towners that are helping the enonomy of the local businesses, and taking a chance on winning a rifle to turn into cash. No benifits to ARA at all.

You could have a point Fred. I think the rifle is important. If people don't go, they want to know two things. Who won the tournament? Who won the rifle? I think it is a draw to the tournament. But, $3,000 cash may be a bigger draw and may insure a full house.

Not for sale!

Hey guys. I can assure you that the 2007 project rifle is not for sale! Never has been, and probably never will be. It is the nicest rifle I have ever had and I have shot some very good scores with it. I hope to get back out to the nationals again someday and put it to good use.
Thanks,
Fred Hampton

Thanks for clearing up my confusion about the rifle Fred. I'm glad to hear your feelings about it. It was a very nice one and quite unique with the special engraving by Steve Dunn. Hope to see you at the 2009 Nationals in St. Louis.

Macky

Brings up another point

Of all the entrants to the ARA Nationals, since the Project Rifle was introduced, how much of the money collected by the host club came back to ARA? After all, it was ARA that started the project in order in inject growth in ARA.. Somehow, I think ARA came out on the short end of the stick.

My vote........

Macky
I agree that the Project rifles should continue. I have not yet made it to the Nationals but Mike Wells says he is dragging me,if neccessary, next year so i REALLY want a chance to win it! If i won it i doubt it would ever be put up for sale.I really think an idea would be to commision a Sporter next year. Since we shoot basically unlimited rifles in ARA it might be kinda cool to win a rifle that could be used in another disipline? Anyhow....just my thoughts.
Colt.45

The rifle for sale is my Leger rifle, not the ARA project rifle.

TestRifle.jpg

s.

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote is....

Keep the project rifles going....

I see it as a win win situation for all. For the shooters, a chance at a rifle that he/she may never have given a thought of having built. For the smiths, a chance to "show off" their skills (man are we not blessed with a bunch of very talented people making our guns!). For the ARA, a giving back to the shooters, although it may only be one we all have the same chance. That chance is more that I ever got doing some of my other hobbies. It is a nice benifit to going to the nationals, but not the main one for me.

As far as what a person does with it after winning, it is like my grand dad told me, you cant tell a person what to do with a gift, you can only hope.

By the way, my vote is for Roger Brock to smith one next year, but I would like a chance at one from any of our fine smiths...

i went to nat's last year as a spectator and drooled all over that rifle. i would be glad to own such a piece. i could never afford to buy such a rifle outright. thusly it would never be for sale from me. i see them come and go. i think folks are right the chance at the rifle is part of what draws folks. if they sell it then so be it. it will STILL get used in competion. just not by the winner. such is life. my ARA gun was far from new when i bought it. if you count uncle sam i am the third owner LOL.

Keep the project rifles going and if you win it and want to sell it you have to sell it for what you have in it.:eek:

ETA: All of pg 2 belong to me.

Macky,
Please keep the ARA project rifles going. They are the most drawing part of the Nationals. I would come anyways....but folks like the idea that they could win a state-of-the-art ARA benchrest gun if they compete at the Nationals. I have one of two wishes....win a National's trophy and/or the ARA Project Rifle. I hope to do at least one before I die.

Carp

p.s. I doesn't surprise me that Fred Hampton loves the rifle so much that he won last year. He is a super person and humble and appreciative. He deserved it. He was trying to sell a rifle or two and looking for a one-piece rest to shoot the Indoor Nationals. He got the best of both worlds.

daletheman3 hit it on the head.

Keep the project rifles going....

I see it as a win win situation for all. For the shooters, a chance at a rifle that he/she may never have given a thought of having built. For the smiths, a chance to "show off" their skills (man are we not blessed with a bunch of very talented people making our guns!). For the ARA, a giving back to the shooters, although it may only be one we all have the same chance. That chance is more that I ever got doing some of my other hobbies. It is a nice benifit to going to the nationals, but not the main one for me.

As far as what a person does with it after winning, it is like my grand dad told me, you cant tell a person what to do with a gift, you can only hope.

By the way, my vote is for Roger Brock to smith one next year, but I would like a chance at one from any of our fine smiths...

Mackie, I agree with everything said above....I can certainly understand being a little hurt if someone were to not keep the rifle and sell it...but everyone has different reasons for what they do and I wouldn't take it as a slap in the face. On the other hand If I had several killer rifles already and didn't need it I'd hate to see it just packed away in some ones gunsafe safe only to be sold in thier estate sale either. Get it out and use it! The rifle will be special no matter who owns it.

You will be happy to know I see the rifle that Larry Wallace won on a regular basis...it is always being shot by either him or his good friend Roger Pepper in Missouri, and I can tell you IT IS a shooter.

Regarding the statement about the hosting range for the nationals and who gets the most financial gain....You are a smart man and I trust you to make what ever deal you think is right.

I do have one other thought....the rifle is another reason people shoot the nationals...it would be nice if there was a way to get some donations and at the end of the ARA season to put names of every competitor that has shot thier 40 targets and 2 tournaments in a jar and draw for some prizes...similar to prizes given away at the nationals less the rifle. Maybe ammo gift certificates, barrel gift certificates....things like that. I think it would be another incentive to make your 40 targets/2 tournaments and also give something back to the ARA shooters that don't make it to the nationals.

Charlie

It is very ironic that only last night I emailed Polly, asking her to give me a list of all the winners of each of the various ARA Project Rifles that we’ve had built and given away as part of our National Championship matches ever year since 2003. It was my intention to write an article about the rifles for the next issue of the ARA News and entitle it, “Where Are They Now”, referring to the Project Rifles.

I say it is ironic because I know of at least one rifle that was sold almost immediately after it was won at the Nationals, and tonight, I looked at the Classified Section of this very Forum and noticed that the 2007 Project Rifle was for sale. This makes me both sad and a little angry. Maybe I’m wrong on this, but it seems that when a gift drops into the lap of a lucky competitor, it shouldn’t be viewed as loot or something that can be immediately turned into cash.

Whenever I thought of the concept of building a nice, state of the art rifle to give away as a prize at our biggest competitive event, it was meant as a way of thanking our competitors for their support of ARA. Giving something back, you might say. I’m now rethinking that idea. I envisioned that these rifles would enter competition in the hands of the lucky winner and we could follow their progress as they were used in various matches across the country.

Our first gunsmith was Bill Calfee who built the 2003 ARA Project Rifle. It was won by Kirk Larson. The 2004 rifle was put together by James Messer, won by Charles Scott. Then Gene Davis smithed the 2005 rifle, won by Bob Micketts. The 2006 rifle was built by Bill Myers and won by Larry Wallace.

Already mentioned is the 2007 Randy Leger built rifle won by Fred Hampton which included a beautiful built-for-the-rifle one piece rest. And, rounding out the field, the latest Project Rifle, just given away at the 2008 ARA National Championship match, was built by Brian Voelker and won by Mike Sherrill.

I suppose the need for writing the article for the ARA News is now a moot point. In some cases, ARA received partial donations for some of the various components or discounts from their makers, and the gunsmiths who provided their services. But, in many cases, the prices we paid were straight retail for some items. There wasn’t one rifle that one could value at less than $3,000.00, considering the components and the names of the famed gunsmiths. In truth, ARA spent a bundle on these 6 rifles over the years, not to mention the efforts of the builders and ARA to put them together, only to sadly see them placed on the market and turned into cash.

These should be collector’s items, cherished and envied by all, not sold for profit. It’s like an Oscar that is given away in Hollywood and later turns up in a pawn shop.

I’d like to know the feelings of others about whether or not ARA should continue the practice of building and giving away a Project Rifle each year or if the prize is an idea whose time has come and gone.

Macky Locklin
I agree with you 100%. Then too when someone wins something it is theirs to do as they wish. Times are hard and the exspence of this benchrest game has gone out of sight. Then you have to understand that we live in a time of extreamly greedy people. An idea to stop the practice of selling off the prizes would be not to invite those persons back for your type of compitition. What makes me sad is there are a lot of folks that can't afford your matches and would be tickled to death to own one of those rifles and would keep it and pass it down to their sons or daughters. I shoot at riverside gun club and if I was lucky to win that rifle it would be with me till the day I died. I am sorry for your disapointment. I hope what has happened will not cause you to stop your wonderful program of giving prizes of this nature. You are feeling like a father that has gone out and bought a son or daughter the best rifle to be had and they put it aside and have no interest in it. I understand what you are feeling but is there a way to stop selling off prizes? I don't think so. garrisone.

Left or right

I noticed that the only project rifle built for left handers was the one by Randy Leger, won by Fred Hampton. All the others were for righthands only. I think that was the problem with the first Calfee rifle, as Kirk is lefthanded and the Turbo was made for right hand operation. I believe Calfee said he would build Kirk another one, but at a premium price. I quess if Kirk sold his, that was his only choice.

Back