AR-15 Gas Tube Question

Re-thinking this.

The bell on the end is actually the same size as the rest of the tube, not an expansion of the tube. The tube is just reduced forward of the bell for a couple inches.

We have unfinished tubes on hand for just such odd applications. The forward end is plugged and drilled, but the tube is not bent and they are about 20' long. Just cut to length, stick them in the lathe and turn the reduction to form the bell on the end, and bend with a cheap hardware store tubing bender. Give me a holler if you need one.

Do not use brake line.

To remove the old chamber you will need to cut about 2" from the barrel. I do not think I would want a 24" barrel with a gas system 2" shorter than std rifle length. Might work, but I am afraid it may be hard on brass due to the dwell time. I would consider cutting 6" off the fr0ont end also and making a 18" barrel out of it. Be a nice handy coyote gun.

Imagine 20 years ago someone complaining that their semi-auto plastic and aluminum army rifle was only shooting 1/2 MOA. My how far we have come.

John

Hi John,

I am honored. 5 posts in 4 years, and one of them is to me. I must have looked like I really needed the help........LOL.

I was taking a look at the gas tube yesterday and found what you mentioned. The end is not belled out, just turned down in front of it for some distance. I could do that if it comes to that. Good to know you have what is needed.

I am re-thinking this. I really don't want to cut the barrel up without getting some satisfaction from it. If I have to take 2 from the back and 6 from the front, I think I will just leave it on there for this summer and try to shoot the hell out of it.

I have always resisted taking a shot on pds unless there was a pretty good chance of connecting. I might have to load up a bunch of rounds and try to care less about the odds.

I am going to check the chamber and see what I find. But I don't think I will re-chamber at this time.

There is another possibility, but I don't think the barrel diameter is large enough to rethread for a Savage action. I am not in my shop so I can't measure. Will measure tonight.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim

One issue you will have is re-timing the barrel extension to the existing gas port in the barrel. I'd suggest shortening the barrel an exact amount such as exactly 2.000" or any measurement in .0625" increments since the barrel extension is 16 TPI.

go read post number 6

One issue you will have is re-timing the barrel extension to the existing gas port in the barrel. I'd suggest shortening the barrel an exact amount such as exactly 2.000" or any measurement in .0625" increments since the barrel extension is 16 TPI.

Back