April 27th match at Mt. Pleasant, MI

dickw

Here is a match announcement that I have been asked to post...

"There will be a 100 yd. centerfire benchrest score match at the Isabella County Sportsmans Club on 27 April 2013. Club grounds are located at 2872 Millbrook Rd., Mt. Pleasant, MI. The match begins at 10:00 AM and the entry fee is $15.00. For more information call Harry Ross at 989-239-2738. Thanks for your help on our clubs behalf."

My notes... It's a good idea to get there at least one hour early to register, set flags, etc, etc. This will be one agg for both benchrest and factory rifles. In the Harrison tradition those who choose will repair to the local bar (near by) for burgers, etc after the match.

This the first match of the season in this area. Let's have a big turnout and pray for good weather. Harrison's first match will be two weeks thereafter.

Dick Wright for ICSC

Joe
I talked to Steve earlier today, he said 100 yards. That's contingent on the water level on the range going down.

I just checked the weather forecast...

It shows 63 and sunny for Saturday. I hope that holds. This has to have been the longest winter ever.

I won't be shooting... old age and a few health issues. I will be there, God willing, at least to tell young Dardas what he's doing wrong. He's bringing my old pal, Don Kreig, who I think just turned 90 last fall. Don and I started shooting together in the early 60's.

Can't wait,

Dick

P.S. Where's that no-good Jeff Aberegg?

Morning Richard, your email doesn't work so I'll call ya later today. I've been busy, had to pick up a new BMW 128I yesterday. Remember the phone and email works both ways.

Jeff

Not mine, I said, pick it up. Too small for me and as you know, it ain't a Mercedes!!! What's this I hear about too much standing water on the range?

Jeff

It shows 63 and sunny for Saturday. I hope that holds. This has to have been the longest winter ever.

I won't be shooting... old age and a few health issues. I will be there, God willing, at least to tell young Dardas what he's doing wrong. He's bringing my old pal, Don Kreig, who I think just turned 90 last fall. Don and I started shooting together in the early 60's.

Can't wait,

Dick

P.S. Where's that no-good Jeff Aberegg?

Dick,

I discovered that my 6 year old waders are shot so if the water level is up beyond my boots I guess that I will have to 'wade it out' in tennis shoes.

Matt

match cancelled...

See the other post... the range is under water and there will be no match. Rain date TBA but it won't be till June.

Just when I was lookiong forward to getting out of the house.

Really sorry about that.

Dick Wright

Don and I started shooting...

together at the Saginaw Gun Club in the very early 60's. We shot NRA four position smallbore every week from early October thru April taking a week off only for deer season and Xmas.

We shot either Winchester Super Match or Remington Match ammo. After a few years someone got hold of some Lapua and most of us used that thereafter.

We had a very good team with seven of the eight members holding NRA Master classifications including our two girls, Bobby Vittito and Rackel's daughter, Paula. The only non-master was Bob Main but that was to be expected... he was from Kansas. As long as I shot there was only one person that ever shot 100 standing... a snotty-nosed high school kid from Bay City named Matt Dardas.

Long time ago... lot of good memories.

Dick

Good Memories

I can still remember walking into the Saginaw Gun Club indoor range (for the first time shooting with the 'seniors') and there stood the whole Thursday night Saginaw Smallbore Rifle Team - Larry Rackel, Paula Rackel, Bob Main, Don Krieg, Dick Wright, and John Fromm. I am sure that I have forgotten some other shooters but the point that I am getting to is remembering Dick standing at the entrance when I walked in. He was in his shooting attire (brown and white leather 10X shooting coat! I just had to get one of those and it would be a couple of years later before I could afford one. The matches that were shot between the Thursday night Saginaw Team and the Bay City Team was for blood! No doubt about, I was getting into something that could be compared to Mixed Martial Arts without striking each other. You could sneer and jeer but just don't touch! And there was a lot of sneering and jeering going on in the scoring room! You would have thought that we were shooting for the national championship!

The hot chocolate and doughnuts were always a welcome sight after the competition. That is where all of the results were discussed and what was going to happen the next time we shot each other. I came up with the neat idea that we would get to their range early to beat Dick there and I could sit my stuff in Dick's favorite place. Sometimes it worked - sometimes it didn't. Any little thing to upset the apple cart was my responsibility on the Bay City Team.

Great times - great memories!

Matt

Back