Anyone use the roller bearing on their 2 lug BAT bolt?

I have tried the roller bearing, and the normal one in a SV action, both fireing assemblys had 22lbs springs. IF there were any noticable difference, it was very slight, so slight that I couldn´t tell the difference when operated at normal speed.

But, they sure look cool!:p

//Peter

Thanks Joe, i have enjoyed reading all this. So if i understand what your saying, my firing pin shouldnt fall forward upon closing my bolt? The rifle i have here next to me now, the pin falls ever so slightly "maybe .010" when i close my bolt.
On another note Joe, i think it is very interesting that you use the Model M. I also like heavy actions, as i feel the weight in the center of the rifle makes better since. Most say that your muzzle cant be to heavy or you will have vertical in your groups, and some say that the stock is were all the weight needs to be, heck i even had one fella tell me that you need a heavy barrel, as much weight as you can get by with this old boy claimed. Every one is about pefect balance, and that very well may be, but my two best shooting rifles are on BAT MB actions with slighly heavier than usual barrels. I dont know!! I shoot a lot, and i just try to go with what works for me. I pin my rifles so maybe balance isnt as critical for me as it might be for another?? Thanks agian Joe!! Please keep posting. Lee

Last edited:
I just had a new 1.370 Model M built that wouldn't shoot until I replaced the trigger hanger to give me 2.19 of travel and it now becomes a barrel-tuning exercise rather than a gun-fixing exercise.

Let's say a certain, not so hypothetical, BAT 3L had 0.214" travel and about 0.010" of drop during handoff with the 30 hanger, or 0.227" travel with about 0.005" of cock on closing with the 20 hanger. Which would you choose, and would you expect the difference on target to be significant?

Thanks,
Keith

MKS... you got it backwards.... but Joe changed mine from .030 to .020 (to take the cocking on closing away) and the improvement was instant and very noticeable.

Hovis

MKS... you got it backwards.... but Joe changed mine from .030 to .020 (to take the cocking on closing away) and the improvement was instant and very noticeable.

Hovis

Hovis,
Hmm, I double checked and those are my measurements. Could be that we are naming the hanger number differently. Did you measure travel and cock/fall before and after on your gun? Given that 0.220" travel and no cock on closing are ideal, which less than ideal setting would be best - a little more than ideal travel with a little cock on closing, or less than ideal travel with no cock on closing?

Thanks,
Keith

MKS,

Your reading your hangers wrong. The marking on BATs hangers are 0, 10, 20, 30. As the numbers get bigger, the travel increases by that many thousands from the "0" hanger. If you go from the 20 to 30, you increase by .010 or vice versa. Remember the number forward (toward front of action) is what you are getting. Each hanger has two settings.

As far as a little less or little more, you'll have to shoot the gun to find out. On my BAT actions of the past, it didn't really seem to make any difference as long as I had the 20 or 30 setting. But on this latest one, it was apparent right away that the gun prefered one setting over the other.

Hovis

Hovis,
You are correct, I should have called the hangers 0 and 10 instead of 30 and 20. We shall see how it shoots with a little more travel.

Thanks,
Keith

I just sent an email to Bat about trigger hangers as soon as I get an answer I will post it. I asked for availability and price.
Should have an answer within 48 hours.

The only trigger hangers that I have seen for the two-lug BAT's were for the DS and the round Model M's that are the same diameter as the DS's; that being 1.370. Don't know if the latest version of the three-lugs have the different length hangers to adjust the timing and firing pin fall.

The other diameter two-lugs that I have seen have a hanger that fits that specific diameter action. I have two multi-flat M's, three round 1.470 M's and two rounds 1.550 M's; plus one 1.370 round M that does have the adjusting trigger hanger set. Except for the 1.370 M, the other hangers are not interchangeable (except in the same diameter action) and only come in one length for the trigger; thus the need to constantly look for the older Jewell triggers.

To answer the question on whether you want slightly more fall with a little cocking on close or slightly less to have a slight firing pin forward movement on fall, I have seen that they seem to shoot better with a slight cocking on close.

To answer the question on whether you want slightly more fall with a little cocking on close or slightly less to have a slight firing pin forward movement on fall, I have seen that they seem to shoot better with a slight cocking on close.

Joe,
Thanks. That is what I will try next.

Cheers,
Keith

Hi Joe,
Thank you for the info, when this all started last week I immediately pulled the trigger on my Bat SV and indeed it is marked with a 30 on the front corner and a 0 on the rear corner. I am assuming that I can turn the hanger around and utilize the 0 end towards the front. Hoping you will clarify this for us. Once again thanks for any and all information you provide.

BAT has the hangers and they are fairly inexpensive. I email a few months ago about getting one and rec'd it in a couple of days. I have used the adjustable hangers in DS, SV, B. All of which were round 1.36-1.37 actions.

Hovis

BAT has the hangers and they are fairly inexpensive. I email a few months ago about getting one and rec'd it in a couple of days. I have used the adjustable hangers in DS, SV, B. All of which were round 1.36-1.37 actions.

Hi Hovis

BAT doesn’t offer a hanger to suit a model B, so I am interested to know what you used for this and how it worked? I need to find 5-6 thousands more fall on a couple of model B's, and Bruce is recommending that I back off the firing pin retainer and adjust the fall with that. Or I could use Joe's method and tune by swapping in and out different triggers.

I must have had an oddball B round model. I did buy this action second hand but it had never been used and came with two hangers, somewhere around 2005. Maybe the guy I bought it from did something. Thats been a lot of years ago and no longer remember who it was I got it from.

Hovis

Lee, thanks for the snark.

I have given BAT the serial numbers of my B actions, and the owner of the company tells me there is no adjustable hanger available. Hence my question to Hovis, as I am not aware of an adjustable hanger for that particular action and was simply trying to find out if there was some other option available I had not heard about.

Back