Anyone still using powdered graphite on rest?

O

Open Country

I'm shooting a heavy-barreled rifle stocked in a 40X laminate, Nightforce scope. It's an 18# rig. I'm still using my leather Protector front bag with cordura rear bag. The front bag is a little 'sticky' from the weight of the rifle, causing my groups to string vertically. Does anyone recommend using powdered graphite as a lubricant on the front rest to prevent the stringing of the shots? I heard this was a common practice years back. Any comments would be appreciated.

Bob

I confess that I don't know anyone who uses or has used powdered graphite on their rest. Seems like that would be awfully messy. Why not use talcum powder? Maybe not as slippery as owl $hit, but it certainly smells better. Or so I've heard.

Ray

Thank you both for your replies. I'll do a search for the boron nitride. Is it a dry powder? Baby powder is just not slick enough to release a very heavy rig from the front rest consistantly, but it does work fine for my 13# 40X. I looked into Sinclairs new catalog, and they have powdered wax. It seems to be their 'rage' with leather bags right now.

Bob

Bob

I don't want to get into a pi$$ing match, but 18 pounds is not a particularly heavy rifle. That's what LR Benchrest shooters use for a light rifle, and talcum (or no slickum whatsoever) seems to work OK. Have you tried adjusting the side tension on the bag? Or, put some stock tape on the fore-end?

Ray

Ray,

I should have said 18# was 'heavy' for my arsenal. :) I've tried stock tape, yes, and gotten mixed results. Side tension is minimal, just enough to keep alignment. I picked up some powdered graphite at Lowes today and rubbed it into the front leather bag where the stock makes contact. It seems very slick with the rifle in the bags. I'm hoping it will do the trick for me. Thank you once again.

I know the F-Class boys are shooting VERY heavy rigs. I should post an inquiry in that forum as well for some feedback.

Bob

Thanks you guys,

I knew I could count on others here to help. I'll give the dryer sheets a try. Now, to get the guys to quit laughing at me for bringing the laundry out to the range...!

Bob

I mix fine graphite with baby powder, After awhile the graphite works its way into the leather without making an mess. I don't like the fabric bags, Too inconsistent and they are very pressure sensitive which causes thrown shots and they never hold form.

Thanks JDS,

I've already 'rubbed' some powder graphite into the contact points of the front bags; They look black. A trip to the range will prove whether I stay with the graphite, play around with the dryer sheets, or find someone with some leftover boron nitride. Looking for consistency. Thanks again, everyone!

Bob

I've been using boron nitride, it makes my bags slicker than owl sh!t.....

I ordered a pound of this boron nitride, and it's like nothing I have ever seen for smoooooth!

Robert

Motor mica works well in all environments and its white and clean. I got mine from Midway a few years back but I notice it is not on their web site now, or at least I didn't find it.

We used motor mica to roll cast bullets in after they were lubed.

Brownells used to offer a thick silicone that worked great on stock tape but it is not there now??

Back