Anyone know John Fry, former BR shooter?

Al Nyhus

"It'll never work!"
Does anyone recognize the name John Fry from previous BR shooting...possibly from Indiana? A Google/Bing search shows John Fry involved in Trap competition but not much else.

There's a gun here that may have initially been his and it would be nice to connect with him to verify and get some more history on it.

Thanks! -Al

John Fry info

The time frame would sure be correct.

Thanks! -Al
Al,

I shot with John Fry all thru the 70's and early 80's.

He was a tough guy to beat, and along with Manley Oakley, and Tom Sitez,(sp) was one to the top BR gunsmiths in the NW Region.

I'm not sure, but I do not think he is still alive. He lived in Bremerton, WA.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

PS Hope this is the John Fry you are looking for.

Last edited:
Al,

I shot with John Fry all thru the 70's and early 80's.

He was a tough guy to beat, and along with Manley Oakley, and Tom Sitez,(sp) was one to the top BR gunsmiths in the NW Region.

I'm not sure, but I do not think he is still alive. He lived in Bremerton, WA.

FWIW
Steve Kostanich

PS Hope this is the John Fry you are looking for.

Great info, Steve!

I'm finishing the rehab on a pals sleeved 722 and my research on it comes back to Mr. Fry. The initials 'J.F.' are etched on the back of the trigger shoe (original Rem 3 lever 2 oz. trigger). Digging out the dies and brass, the name is lightly etched on one of the dies. The gun came with two 222 barrels and a unique 221 1/2 barrel...which is a 222 shortened .100 by my measurements. The history surrounding the gun is a bit vague. The action work is top notch, though.

I did find this obituary online, Steve:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John "Jack" R. Fry, 87, of Bremerton died of natural causes May 3, 2001, at his home.

He was born June 1, 1913, in Ogden, Utah, to John and Myrtle (Ramsden) Fry. He graduated in 1931 from Thatcher High School in Thatcher, Idaho.

He married Bernice Buckner on Sept. 3, 1937, in Bremerton.

Mr. Fry was a leading man at both Lent's Sheet Metal Works and Puget Sound Naval Shipyard. He retired in 1965.

He was a gunsmith and a benchrest shooting competitor. He was a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a black stock originally, then layers of colors/primers over that....including the sleeve. :eek:

Here it is now:

3eOzWysl.jpg

MrhJAYAl.jpg

Last edited:
John Fry info

Al,

That rifle is pretty typical of the rifles John built in the '70's.

I remember one he did for himself where he threaded the entire length of a Rem. action. (can't remember which model)
and then screwed it into an action sleeve, thinking it would be the real deal. It never did shoot as good as a straight glue in sleeve job.

I think he called that short 222 a 22 Pup.

Steve K.

Back