Anyone know Douglas barrel history? star marked premium not XX

S

superdave269

I hope someone will remember some history on the Douglas barrels. I know years ago these were considered to be one of the best barrels.
I am in the middle of acquiring a custom built rifle. It's built on a single shot FN Mauser action. The barrel is clearly marked in two places Douglas. The muzzle is marked "(star) A Douglas Barrel (star) Premium Barrel" Chamber area is marked "G R Douglas"
So why "A Douglas" in one place and "G R Douglas" in another? Also can this help give a time frame of when it was manufactured?
Does the star symbol help date it or signify anything? I thought premium barrels were XX marked. Was the star before this?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=220965&page=2

Douglas barrel

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I will be joining another forum so I can ask him.

Wished you had posted sooner. Stan called me last night. He is a good guy and can fix you up.
I sent him an email for you.

Last edited:
Douglas barrel

I am having trouble getting registered with the " Accurate Forum", so if possible please direct Stan to my post. I really would love to learn more about what the markings can tell us about this Douglas barrel.
Thanks you
Happy New Year!

Last edited by a moderator:
G R Douglas marked barrels were fit to the action by Douglas?? The star is an air gauged barrel that measures .0001" or less variation?? That's my guess. My 1975 barrel markings.Put on a M70 by Paul Jaeger of Jenkintown,PA

Attachments

• 243Douglas.JPG
    243Douglas.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 509
  • 243M702001.JPG
    243M702001.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
Douglas barrel

Hey 243. What you said makes a lot of sense. I actually live fairly close to where Paul Jaeger's shop was. It's a real shame so many of these places are long gone.

You can contact McCullough Custom Rifles in Selma Alabama at 334-875-6443. He uses Douglas barrels on most of his built rifles. I think I remember him saying he knew some of the family. He can most likely help you.

Back