Anyone have a good source for Marine Tex?

Mike Bryant

It had been awhile since I bought any Marine Tex as I usually order 10 boxes at a time. The last time I bought it, it was about $15 or 16 per box. I ordered some today from Brownell's and it was $28 per 14 oz. box. Everythings gone up in price, but I thought this was a little on the extreme side in almost doubling. So far, Brownell's has been the least expensive place that I could find it.

marine-tex

Try BoatUS,Westmarine,Boatworld, or most any marine supply dealer. Last I got was $21. big kit. Little ones about $9:):)

I still like the M-Tex too, Mike... I get it from the local boat shop, I'm sure it's sold at retail price so would be of little help to you.

I looked there after I found the price had risen at Brownell's so much. Everything I could find on yahoo and google were worse, I'm sure selling for retail. http://www.nextag.com/marine-tex-epoxy/stores-html I prefer the 14 ounce sizes over the larger containers as that size will do a few stocks and still stay fresh in the can. I'd be afraid to use a larger size as I'd hate for the hardner to go bad before using it all up. I had a stock the other day where I needed a little more hardner and tried to use some out of an old jar. It didn't harden and had to remove all the bedding and rebed. I have 5 on the way from Brownell's. Thanks for the input.

I looked there after I found the price had risen at Brownell's so much. Everything I could find on yahoo and google were worse, I'm sure selling for retail. http://www.nextag.com/marine-tex-epoxy/stores-html I prefer the 14 ounce sizes over the larger containers as that size will do a few stocks and still stay fresh in the can. I'd be afraid to use a larger size as I'd hate for the hardner to go bad before using it all up. I had a stock the other day where I needed a little more hardner and tried to use some out of an old jar. It didn't harden and had to remove all the bedding and rebed. I have 5 on the way from Brownell's. Thanks for the input.
Mike, something to consider, Marine Tex and Devcon F both have limited shelf life. JB Weld Industrial Weld does not.

My I slip in a queston???

What is the difference between Devcon A and F. I bought some "A" and haven't used it. If someone would take the time to enlighten me?? I really don't know.

Mark:confused:

Strangely Devcon A is steel filled epoxy and Devcon F is aluminum filled. One would think Devcon A would be aluminum.

http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?brandid=1&catid=2

I once used some Devcon A to fill a gouge in an outboard motor cylinder wall where a valve spring had broken and got in the cylinder wall. I filled the gouge and rebored the cylinder wall. Several years later I sold the motor and the Devcon was still holding.

The motor was a Martin, made by Perfection Pressure Cooker Co!! Yes, it was a 2-cycle with intake valves.

What is the difference between Devcon A and F. I bought some "A" and haven't used it. If someone would take the time to enlighten me?? I really don't know.

Mark:confused:

Devcon F is aluminum putty. Devcon F-1 is aluminum liquid. Devcon A is steel putty. They all can be found at MSC.

Mike,
Bruno usually carries Marine-Tex in a gallon size.

I long ago went to West System Epoxy thickened with colloidal silica. Would not consider anything else. You can tint it with paint tint to make any color you want.

Here is where I buy it from.

http://www.gougeon.com/

Mickey you are right...

Mickey:

I called and talked with Mike about the West products. I have been using their 404 polyester filler and their glass for years. I buy their pigments too.
They make a 15oz tube up to a 45 pound tube of the polyester filler. I go throught about 3 15 oz tubes per year.
Nat Lambeth

I'll give the West products a try.
You will really like them!

By the way, don't let them talk you into buying the metering pumps. I use a Dillon digital scale and the clear plastic hi-ball tumblers for mixing. Put the tumbler on the scale and turn it on, pour in 1000 grains of resin (if your bedding an action...I've mixed up tiny amounts for patching by using the same method), divide the amount of resin by 5.1 to get the amount of hardener needed, zero out the scale and then add the amount of hardener required. Stir well then add the filler you choose to get desired consistency then tint to color desired.

The wooden craft sticks work beautifully for mixing and applying the epoxy.

Last edited:
Mixing your own...

Mickey, Mike and Others:

I use the West Marine 404 mixed to the consistency of my choosing. It can be as thin as epoxy or thick as peanut butter. I beleive Mickey uses paint color pigments, I use black, brown, green, and white west color pigments. The thicker I mix it, the more hardner I add. You will have to experiment to your liking. Clean your stock well with acetone to fully degrese. Allow it to dry completely. Undercut your lug area and use a tooth pick to insure cmplete lug area fill with no air pockets. You can buy West mold release or use carnuba wax or Johnsons paste wax. I make putty dams to prevent flow into areas I don't want to be glassed.

I save cleaned crystal light drink mix containers and pudding/yogurt containers to mix my bedding materials in. I found that I use to waste much more than I needed. I tape up my stocks to protect the areas I don't want any bedding compound to get on. I wear nitrile gloves an clean up with acetone. Then just throw them away the mixing containers after finishing. The whole mixture needs to harden a couple hours then bump it out if it is not a glue in. Clean up and I use automotive spacklin to fill in any voids then sand and paint if necessary. If you need to add weight just mix in lead bird shot.

Good luck.

Nat Lambeth

Not that this is related

Mike,
Bruno usually carries Marine-Tex in a gallon size.

I long ago went to West System Epoxy thickened with colloidal silica. Would not consider anything else. You can tint it with paint tint to make any color you want.

Here is where I buy it from.

http://www.gougeon.com/

I use to work right down the street from them. Gougeon brothers have made quit a bit of money on their compounds.
Gougeon Brothers, Inc.
100 Patterson Ave.
P.O. Box 908
Bay City, MI 48707-0908

Order Department: 989-684-6881
Administration, Technical Information, and all other calls: 989-684-7286

Thanks, guys. I have some of the West Products epoxy on it's way with the silica filler and also some of the high density filler. Will see how it works.

Back