Any Washington State motorcycle riders here?

D

Dennis Sorensen

I plan on a trip through Washington in July of 2010.

Can anyone suggest a nice route for a leisurely ride (stopping one night) from either Anacortes or Port Angeles traveling to Bend, Oregon.

There are many ways to get to Bend, I am looking for a nice motorcycle ride on paved roads. I favor driving down the coast from Port Angeles...

Anyone want to join in the ride?
It is the annual very large BMW rally July 15 through 18.
At the Deschutes Fair & Expo Center
3800 SW Airport Way Redmond, Oregon

r1200cleftside-0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dennis. Though not an on-road donorcycle rider, I'll suggest from Anacortes on Hwy 20 over the North Cascades Hwy, spend the night in Winthrop or Twisp (watch out for the deer on the road in the morning and evening!) or even farther if you're making good time, then south on Hwy 97 along the Columbia R, over Blewett pass and through the Bristol Canyon to Ellensburg, down the Yakima R canyon (bighorn sheep), and on down to Shaniko OR. You can stay on 97 from Shaniko all the way to Bend, but if you have time take the eastward loop through the John Day Fossil Beds. Spectacular scenery and very lonely roads.

Much of the WA coast road (Hwy 101) is marred by clearcuts. The OR coast road has many state parks and beaches and is much nicer than the WA coast, IMO.

Anyhow, east of Bend is the Oregon Outback -- I see lots of bikers in the summer when I'm in Christmas Valley hunting jackrabbits with my hawks. From Christimas Valley it is 100mi to the nearest traffic light. Hard to find similar in the Lower 48.

Toby Bradshaw
baywingdb@comcast.net

I plan on a trip through Washington in July of 2010.

Can anyone suggest a nice route for a leisurely ride (stopping one night) from either Anacortes or Port Angeles traveling to Bend, Oregon.

There are many ways to get to Bend, I am looking for a nice motorcycle ride on paved roads. I favor driving down the coast from Port Angeles...

Anyone want to join in the ride?
It is the annual very large BMW rally July 15 through 18.
At the Deschutes Fair & Expo Center
3800 SW Airport Way Redmond, Oregon

r1200cleftside-0.jpg

Thats a sweet ride Denn.

try russ haydon

his good friend rides and was thinking of coming up to canada in 2010
freshly divorcing so no ties that bind
Jefferson

The OR coast road has many state parks and beaches and is much nicer than the WA coast, IMO.
Highway 101 in Oregon is also notorious for stretches of 45+ MPH interspersed with towns (meaning 25 MPH speed limits, stoplights, and stop signs.) If you are new to the area (or unfamiliar with it), avoid 101 on weekends, especially ones such as July 4th. Too much traffic and congestion. And stupid drivers.

Dennis,

Four of us plan on riding out to the west coast including YVR and Vancouver Island in July and return to SD for the Sturgis rally this coming summer. I would love to meet with you for a chat. I have some friends on the island I plan on visiting. Your contact info would be nice.

Jim Kobe

Jim,

Just click on my member name and then my homepage for contact info ...

I would be glad to have a visit and a ride around in July.

Dennis

Back