Any info on this caliber & gunsmith?

7mm X .300

Hello, I have a gun that was my brothers that was made for him in 1977, It was made by a man named Drummond, it is chambered for Weatherby .300 Mag X 7mm, The shoulder forms to a sharp edge.

The builder retired the same year this gun was made. he used to run adds in some of the shooting magazines in the seventies for his rifles.

So my questions are:
What would be the best powder and bullet for a 7mm X wthby .300 mag with a 30" 1 in 9" twist barrel. (as a starting point of course)

And, does anyone have info regarding this builder? or for that matter own one?

His name again was Robert Drummond...

There's an article in the 1975 Gun Digest-"Shooting at 1000 yards" by Bob Bell that you will find interesting.

Good shooting :D

I owned several 7x300,s I still have 1 They were used a lot at Williamsport Pa. for the 1000 yd. shoots The 1 I have shoots both the 168 Seiara and 162 Hornady well I use 75 gr of 4831 max and 87 gr. of H870 They are nice for hunting also ,shot many deer up to 1300yds

Williamsport PA is where this was made, This seems to be a really fast twist (9")..
I was getting alot of fouling and keyholes when I last shot it 16 years ago, then again I was a lot younger and most likely didn't really know what i was doing..
I think thats what I was running was 75-74gr 4831 I know for sure I was shooting 162gr Hornady
4831 seems fast to me but i am not in any position to question any of this stuff at all.

Where can I get a look at that old issue of Gun Digest?
I'm pretty sure that's the magazine that I saw ads for these way back.

Howard built all my 7x300,s He also built 30-378 in both the long and short version. Another couple powders for the 7x300 were H570 very hard to find and WC872 surplus All the pa. smiths can inform you on this cal.

Bob, I'm looking for a powder for the 7/300 wby using the 168gr. sierra for shooting in long range groundhog shoots out to 500/600yards. I'm using h870 and wc872 for hunting 87grs, but I was thinking of using another powder like h4831 for the groundhog shoots. Your load of 75grs of h4831 is that the max. for this powder and is the accuracy good? I've tried 7828 but accuracy wasn't any better than with h870. Any info would be appreciated.
drags

Thanks all for you input, I am in California so there is virtually nobody that knows a thing about this kind of rifle, I remember when I got out here around 17 years ago from being in storage in WV, I thought I would take it to the local gunsmith to show it off a bit, Waste of time!

This is the response I received:
"That barrel is way to long, you should let be cut the barrel 7" and chamber it for weatherby 7mm Mag"

I quietly just left. I couldn't think to do such a thing, This gun has a lot of personal value to me, besides it would have looked foolish to make it into a "Benchrest Carbine"

Anyway, I guess to most of you 4831 seems to the standard, Does altitude make much difference in a powders characteristics? I was getting some primer flow with 75 or 76gr 4831 & 162 gr Hornady, That was the recommended load from the gunsmith.
I'm just wondering if it could be partly caused by being at sea level, What is the elevation in PA in general?

Williamsport Range

The PA 1000 yard club is about 1800' feet above sea level.

Try some H1000 around the 75-76 grain mark with thw 168 SMK.

That was another good load for this gun. Hart 1/9 twist

ERIC

7 mm drumond

sir i researched this round years ago.it was told to me that the 60 degree shoulder would cause a lot of bolt thrust which is not a good idea.the 7 mm 300 weatherby was improved to get more velocity out of the case.there is two other articels on this in gun digest and the american riflman.
i have some loads for it from drumond if you are interested.
gary b.

Sure I'll take what I can get, Thanks.

So this shoulder configuration is not a desirable one???

It seems to be almost an Ackley Improved shoulder...

7 mm 300 drummond

loads for said cartrige:
h 570 83 grains fed 215 primer 168 sierra match king v is 3150 at muzzel
h 570 90 grains fed 215 primer 162 hornady 3562 v v at 1000 yds 2057

barrel has 1/9 twist 30 inchs long. douglas is make i think.

87 grains h570 215 fed primer 162 hornady hp match v is 3290 at m.
v at 1000 yds 1890 24 inch barrel.

hope this helps.all information from at data sheet from drummonds.
date on it is 1973...

gary b.

Back