An invitation for holton nationals shooters

dickw

We will have a 100 yd. group match at the Harrison Sportsmans Club on 20 Sept. This is the Saturday before your Nats start on Monday the 22nd. We invite you to come and experience one of our matches. You've read about these matches for over twenty years in Precision Shooting. This may be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to come, shoot and see what they're all about.

We are about two hours east of Holton. We start shooting promptly at 10 AM and suggest that you get there plenty early to register, set flags, etc. We have a covered range with excellent benches and room to clean and load in a nearby building. There are good roads all the way here and I will put the street address of the club on here shortly for your GPS's.

Some Holton Shooters are regulars here and can give you directions. Jeff Aberegg volunteered to give a couple of guys a ride if needed. I'm sure that Dudley Pierce and Jim Dyke will help as needed.

I have some money that says the locals can beat the two Kentucky Colonels. We'll see who are the herbivores and who are the carnivores. I think that, despite old age and senility, I can still beat Sharrett and send him back to the Southland crying like a baby.

This is a one agg match. Life will be better if you simply load fifty or sixty rounds and bring only your rests, flags and cleaning stuff. The range will be open before 7:30 AM and there will be coffee and donuts. When we are done we will, one last time this year, repair to the Budd Lake Bar for their excellent food. You should be back to Holton before dark.

Think it over and let me know whose coming. We will do everything we can to help you, accomodate you and... kick your arse in the competition.

Dick Wright

Ph: 989-386-3932
Email: writer1937a@gmail.com

Harrison International Airport

Dick,

I took the liberty this morning to call the Harrison International Airport's helipad manager. I asked him if the pad would be clear for a 7:00 am arrival and a 4:00 pm departure. He told me that there was complete clearance for September 20th. I assume the Billy and Bart will be arriving in one heli?

Matt

dickw said:
"I think that, despite old age and senility, I can still beat Sharrett and send him back to the Southland crying like a baby.'

Dick, I had not noticed you were really old and senile, but remember, you brought it up.

Dear senile member,

I hope you are coming to Holton and that you arrive early enough to make our match. Let me know if I can do anything to help.

Dick

Jackpine Savage Invitational...

The match now has a name... see above.

For those with GPS's the address is...

3704 N. Harrison Ave.
Harrison, MI

Looking forward to seeing some old friends.

Dick Wright

I will pay.....

Glorya's match fee, her lunch, and set her flags if she shoots the match. Are you game Glorya?

Matt

Last edited:
Yep moving backers. Stationary backers. And new benches.
Bob Scarborough Jr. and crew lined everything up to .25" +/- .25".
Wow Bob and crew did a great job. The bench tops are great. The line up is near perfect. I had my rifle on the bench(changing flags to 200y.) and all I had to do was refocus.
Tim B.

Ooopppss.
Thanks Francis and Dusty. I misread that. Guess I am thinking about Harrison and Holton. Decide this decide that. Er, whatever!

Dusty,

We've had a moving backer system for a long time. Using it proved to be a problem. Our matches are inexpensive to shoot in and there's no money to pay helpers to install the system and to take it down.

We've shot group on the honor system for years and found that it works very well. Most of the people who shoot with us have done so for years and we have become good friends. No one seems to want to cheat their friends. Let me ask you a hypothetical... you and Bart and Billy get together and shoot an honor system group match... who's going to turn in a target with less than five shots? Same thing here.

Has it ever happened? I think so. (Can't prove it... no backer system.) We've shot group for over 12 years here. There's been eight and sometimes ten matches per year and an average of twenty shooters. Do the math. In that time I've had five suspicious targets from four people. No one ever won doing it and the culprits were let know that that s--- doesn't fly.

I thought about ignoring your question at first. Then decided that it would be better not to. This is what we do and it has been very successful for a lot of years.

Dick

I was just wondering. we had the same thing here many years ago. those culprits dont shoot anymore now that we have the moving backer

Back