An interesting Savage 99 project

The Clarence Detsch die 88Gr. FB are showing promise.

Al, your "pillaring" of the Sav 99CD has eliminated the wild first shot flier - prior to your effort, the initial shot from either clod/clean, or, cold/"fouled" barrel always went WAY high and most often right . . . sometimes to the tune of 2+ inches @ 100Yd!:eek: Now, the worst 5-shot groups are 1.2" or, under, with all 3-shot version <.75".:D

Thus far, I have only picked a powder and a charge, and shot a couple of groups, looking for best potential with the 88Gr. FB made with the C. Detsch #1 die (my terminology, as David sold me a pair of his father's [carbide]point-dies). This particular die produces a .2575" shank, and .2580" pressure-ring. Working my way down, from H-100V, RL-17 (very promising), to faster burn-rate powders - probably wind-up at BenchMark, H322, IMR 8208BR, or, THE stand-by, Brigadier 3032.

Then, I will do the requisite incremental powder charge and seating-depth testing. :p

This project is proving enjoyable, indeed! Once I get a powder which "works" consistently, I'll try to post a pic or two.
Good shootin'! RG

P.S. THE BIG bugaboo now is the trigger - most of the time, it has a "set" type mini-break, then a pretty decent heavy, but crisp real break - have yet to measure pull-weight. When it "sets", I have fared acceptably well: when I "pull through" the "set" step, I flinch like a beginner, and it show's on the paper!:eek: I'll have to risk tearing into the works and remove that pesky step - I'll wait t 'til I have back-up parts!;)

Last edited:
Bill Ruger and the Savage 99 ….

Speaking of aesthetics and functionality. “I always thought the Savage 99 was marvelousness!” Bill Ruger Ruger & His Guns by R. L. Wilson Bill had admired the Savage 99 as a teenager and one of Bill’s earliest inventions was converting the Savage 99 into a gas-operated self loader. Savage turned it down. High Noon

Back