Ammo options

N

newtron63h

Im just wondering what ammo works well for your factoryish guns. I have tried 10 or so "target" types from different manufacturers but I havent gotten enough quantity or done enough actual data aquisition to fairly compare them. A good rule of thumb for my 9422 is 40gr will be pretty good regardless of velocity with non trans-sonics being at the top.

What I am looking for is the best of the cheap..........lets say no more than $3/50rds? Also something that isnt hard to find and I can buy in 500rd quantities. I dont want to have to buy 5000rds just to try it. Im not looking for all out accuracy, but something that can serve as a cheap plinking round but is also capable of respectable repeatability.

the rimfire forum guys see this all the time..i would ask there.

mike in co

Im just wondering what ammo works well for your factoryish guns. I have tried 10 or so "target" types from different manufacturers but I havent gotten enough quantity or done enough actual data aquisition to fairly compare them. A good rule of thumb for my 9422 is 40gr will be pretty good regardless of velocity with non trans-sonics being at the top.

What I am looking for is the best of the cheap..........lets say no more than $3/50rds? Also something that isnt hard to find and I can buy in 500rd quantities. I dont want to have to buy 5000rds just to try it. Im not looking for all out accuracy, but something that can serve as a cheap plinking round but is also capable of respectable repeatability.

A lot depends on your rifle, but the best inexpensive .22 LR ammo I've found is surprisingly Federal American Eagle. After I'd read this a few times I finally bought some and tried it in my three .22 rimfire rifles. It shot acceptably in all of them and very well in the CZ 452 and Win 47. Winchester's inexpensive stuff shoots well too and is reasonably priced. Wolf "Match Target" is the most accurate I've tried in my rifles, but has gotten to be more expensive than your price limit of $3/50 rounds.

The latest Federal American Eagle I bought is now packed in 50 round boxes and 500 round bricks instead of the previous 40 round boxes and 400 round bricks. Hopefully the quality hasn't decreased with the increase in quantity.

Back