Am I correct that the attachment on this rifle would be short range CF legal?

Boyd Allen

Assuming that the butt that it was attached to was the proper angle for light and heavy varmint (can be flat for sporter), and that the attachment is no more than 3" wide, I believe that the piece that is attached to the bottom of the butt stock of the rifle in this article would be legal for sanctioned, short range benchrest competition. Agree? Disagree?
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/

I just get

Assuming that the butt that it was attached to was the proper angle for light and heavy varmint (can be flat for sporter), and that the attachment is no more than 3" wide, I believe that the piece that is attached to the bottom of the butt stock of the rifle in this article would be legal for sanctioned, short range benchrest competition. Agree? Disagree?
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/

indecipherable characters when I click the link or try to go to the website directly.

Good question. I thought I remembered the HV rifle rules speak of the butt being no more than 1/2" wide. Looking at it now I can't find that language

Not sure how or if this would apply

k) Guiding Means: Any device, addition, contour or dimension on a ri e of any class, designed or adapted to co-act with mating or reciprocal features of a rest
to guide its return to ring position so that it shall not
be necessary to re-aim the ri e optically for each shot shall be conclusively deemed to constitute guiding means. Such guiding means are not allowed in the Varmint or Sporter Class competition. Recoil springs, rubber bands, etc. may be used to restrain recoil providing the ri e may be lifted 6” free of rests with attachment in place.

henry05.jpg

As long as it does not violate the "no guiding means" clause in the general rules, and does not put the Rifle over weight, I would amagine there would be no problems.

The no guiding means clause does contain the language about being able to fire the rifle without the use of optically sighting it after each shot, (i.e., as in a Rail Gun), and this would by no means fall into that category.

It seems that some time ago there was a debate about this, but I can't recall just when.

I've never seen it at a Short Range BR Match, so that would leave me to believe that at some time there was a ruling on these types of attachments.

Last edited:
I don't know about the attachment, but the rifle in the picture is not legal. The forearm is too wide and it appears that the butt stock doesn't meet the taper rule. Good shooting. James

Hi James,
The rifle is obviously not short range legal. I was just asking about the attachment. How is the weather in your part of the country? It is going to be 74 and sunny in Fresno today.

Hi James,
The rifle is obviously not short range legal. I was just asking about the attachment. How is the weather in your part of the country? It is going to be 74 and sunny in Fresno today.
Boyd, it is 73 degrees at the present and we have had good shooting weather so far this year. We have had two 600 yard matches so far this calendar year and we have a 300 yard match this Saturday. We have had quite a bit of rain, but that is not unusual for this part of the country. What projects have you had going lately? Good shooting...James

Attachments

• Prince 600 yd match 2 - 20 -16 001.jpg
    Prince 600 yd match 2 - 20 -16 001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Might be interesting in F/TR - no 4 legged stool then - the forward suspension on the rifle is the bipod pivot point.

I have a GRP stock made by Brown Precision around 1982, called the "Walt Berger HV " pattern. The angle of the butt is correct , but the width is about 2 1/2". I shot it all through the '80's, and no one ever challenged it as illegal. It required a special rear bag, and back then no one made the quality of bags we have now, so you had to make up something yourself. I'd post a pic of it, if I knew how. Boyd if you'll send me your e-mail address, I photograph it and forward it to you for posting.

Regards,
Steve Kostanich

Back