Al Nyhus - Actual Scope Power

Fred Bohl

Retired Engineer
Al,

To refresh your memory, this is from your post of 7-29-07 in that thread about Gene Davis's boosters.

----------------------------
Jim wrote:
Quote:
To put it in general terms, any lens of "plus power" (normally used for hyperopia or presbyopia correction) does "magnify" to some degree, depending on the power.

Jim, thanks for the professional overview. Being in the medical field myself, this has always intrigued me. A couple of years ago, I worked with a local optometrist on just what you outlined. We had exactly the result you predicted...virtually zero eye relief. Bang...whack...blood...headache...go home...regroup.

Fred wrote:
Quote:
Since you have been a referee at many HBR matches maybe you could give us the actual intent of the rule about 6x only scopes?

I am confused because the scopes I see at HBR matches are the Leupold Competition 6x, Weaver T6 and Burris 6XHBR models. All of these have adjustable parallax (front objective cell) and ocular adjustments (eyepiece focus). In all cases the eyepiece adjustment range is about 3 diopters. These two adjustments will change the actual magnification – note that the Leupold specification page list the actual magnification as 6x minimum.

It is also a confusing choice of power as it is more than adequate at 100 yards (4.3x needed) but insufficient at 200 yards (8.6x needed) to resolve a minimum caliber (.243) bullet hole for a person with normal or corrected to normal (1 MOA) visual resolution/acuity.

Fred, to understand the HBR rules on scope magnification, we have to go back to the original intent of HBR shooting: to have a class where a person could compete in a Benchrest tournament using their normal hunting rifle. Along the way, HBR (in both the IBS and the NBRSA) has morphed into what we see today...nothing less than full blown BR rigs with a few vestiges of the original rules left to keep things on a level playing field. These are the 6 power scope rule, the 2.25" stock forearm width, the magazine cut in the action and the minimum case capacity rule of holding as much powder as a 30-30 (45.0 or 45.5 gr. of water, depending on the rulebook you're reading). There are a few additional differences, but these are the salient points of HBR.

But one rule stands head and shoulders above all else: the 6 Power Scope rule. You could drop the case capacity rule, allow solid bottom actions and increase the stock width to 3"...but the 6 Power scope rule remains the defining characteristic of the HBR rifle.

While you can resolve a .243 bullet hole at 100 yds. with a 6 power scope, it's impossible to see either the 10 ring or subsequent scoring rings. At two different times, I've been able to faintly see the black scoring rings barely fade in and out on a perfect morning with the sun angle just right...but not for very long!

Hope this helps. -Al
----------------------------

To get to the point, I was helping a shooter mount and boresight his Leupold FX-III 6x42mm Adj. Obj. Competition Hunter and he brought up that thread from last summer. After some discussion we arranged a later meeting to check the actual magnification of his scope. The protocol was to use his digital camera at the equivalent eye position with a macro lens and my collimator as the target. He then took images with out the scope and with the scope in place at various combinations of eyepiece and parallax adjustment. Using pixel count from edge to edge of the collimator grid he reports that actual range of magnification is 6.0x minimum to 7.8x maximum. He also reports that the range reported is due to range of adjustment of the eyepiece.

No intent to start a battle here over the NBRSA HBR 6x rule but since you are a frequent referee at HBR matches, would you care to comment? Also, how is compliance with the 6x rule checked?

To get to the point, I was helping a shooter mount and boresight his Leupold FX-III 6x42mm Adj. Obj. Competition Hunter and he brought up that thread from last summer. After some discussion we arranged a later meeting to check the actual magnification of his scope. The protocol was to use his digital camera at the equivalent eye position with a macro lens and my collimator as the target. He then took images with out the scope and with the scope in place at various combinations of eyepiece and parallax adjustment. Using pixel count from edge to edge of the collimator grid he reports that actual range of magnification is 6.0x minimum to 7.8x maximum. He also reports that the range reported is due to range of adjustment of the eyepiece.

No intent to start a battle here over the NBRSA HBR 6x rule but since you are a frequent referee at HBR matches, would you care to comment? Also, how is compliance with the 6x rule checked?

Hi Fred. Quite honestly, I've never seen the magnification of a 6 Power scope checked at any IBS or NBRSA tournament I've ever been at. Certainly, doing so would be problematic..at best.

As concerns the A/O and parallax combinations giving effectively more magnification..yes, that can happen..just as certain corrections for eyeglass wearers can result in magnification. Whether a particular combination of all these variables can be brought together at the same time to give a 6 Power shooter true increase in magnification under competition circumstances...I just don't know. Obviously, the main factor in all of this is the individual shooters eyesight, I would think?

Two seasons ago, I spent an afternoon at the range with the Hunter Benchrest scopes I had at that time:T6 Weaver, 6X42 A.O. Leupold, Sightron 6X42 HBR and Burris HBR2. While my method of measuring magnification wasn't 'digital', it did provide me with some interesting observations...one of which how much the F.O.V. of an individual scope can 'trick' your eye into under/over estimating it's magnification.

I guess it boils down to that we trust competitors to have a 6 Power scope on their gun when it appears to be just that externally.

Three seasons ago, following a rash of scope 6 Power scope failures that left me really, really, really pizzed off, I decided to take a 'known quantity' 36X scope I had and have the magnification decreased to 6 power. Did I mention that I was really pizzed off about this? ;) :eek: :mad: Every one of the scope modification companies I spoke to about this declined to do this for me...citing the possible repercussions that a scope that didn't "...look like a 6 power scope" may have when there was no standardized means by which these things were checked at either IBS or NBRSA events. I was disappointed at first, but the more I thought about it the more I realized they were correct.

Maybe Randy Robinett and some others would like to give their thoughts on this...we've sure talked about this topic several times.

To all who have an interest...

in the aspect of how to measure the magnification of a scope. It is REALLY simple. Magnification is easily measured by anyone w accurate measuring tools and a good light and a steady hand. Measure the Objective lense diameter. Then shine a good light into the objective lense. leaving the light on, take a piece of typing paper and place it behind the ocular lense. Move the paper back and forth until you reach the point of sharpest focus of the light dot on the paper. Measure that diameter accurately. Divide the Objective lense diameter by the ocular diameter and you will have the actual magnification of the scope. Plain and simple

Don

Both my associate and I have a software program called Screen Calipers V4 that will put a virtual calipers on your screen and allow you to make measurements of on screen images. The base measurement is screen pixels but you can calibrate it to a known reference and it will do the math for you. In this case he took digital photos of the imaged collimator grid without the scope and thru the scope at minimum and maximum then reported the ratios of minimum to ref and maximum to ref width.

Dave

I verified my associates findings with your method, but he felt that was too simple and "error prone" for his purposes. I think he just wanted to try out his new digital camera and macro lens. Do note however that your method is based on the equation: magnification = objective diameter /exit pupil diameter. Accuracy requires a careful measurement of exit pupil diameter and knowing the actual clear aperature of the objective not the specified size.

Al

My impression in talking to some of the shooters at last years Wisconsin state HBR match at Van Dyne was that the 6x rule meant a fixed scope of 6x nominal or a variable set to the 6x mark and not as 6x absolute. More intended to preclude using a 10x against a 6x and trusting everyone to not cheat for a competitive edge but allow for individual vision differences.

Again I'm not spoiling for a fight I was just facinated to find the 1.3 to 1 range of magnification. If it holds generally then the nominal 40x could possibly reach 52x just something to contemplate while waiting for the snow to melt enough to find a target backer board.

Don . . .
My impression in talking to some of the shooters at last years Wisconsin state HBR match at Van Dyne was that the 6x rule meant a fixed scope of 6x nominal or a variable set to the 6x mark and not as 6x absolute. . . . .

Fred, since my initiation to Hunter Class, this has always been the interpretation - even when, in the specification/instruction sheet, the manufacturer provides an actual magnification. Particularly with the 6X scopes, the bigger issue is RESOLUTION, which, from brand to brand (and often within a brand) varies widely . . . and ALWAYS cheats anyone with "normal" vision (corrected or natural) out of 30% ++ of the eyes resolving power! :(
Most of the manufacturers list the magnification of their 6X offering - these used to range from 5.4X through 6.4X: any refereeing decision which I observed always went back to the manufacturer's MARKINGS/designation - NOT the actual magnification. Keep 'EM on the X!RG

Last edited:
I doubt that - -

The extra 1.7 x makes a whole lot of difference in terms of giving the preson who has it an advantage. They will still have to divide the Pie. I don't know at what magnification one can see the score rings but I think it would take that to give a person an advantage.

I seem to be leaving an incorrect impression (which I have done all too often) that needs clarification. Whatever technique is used to measure magnification (exit pupil size or digital image of the collimator grid) of a rifle scope this is a measure of the optical performance of the scope and NOT the functional magnification as perceived by a particular observer.

To clarify this, let us use the standard Snell eye chart (US version) relative vision definitions: 20/10 is 0.5 MOA visual acuity. 20/20 is 1.0 MOA visual acuity and 20/40 is 2.0 MOA visual acuity. Now let us take three observers that have those measured acuities. Set up a chart at a distance were the first observer (20/10) needs a 2x telescope to resolve the big "E". You would find that at the same distance the second observer (20/20) would need a 4x telescope and the third observer (20/40 - like me) would need an 8x telescope to resolve that same big "E".

Assume that by some very fortuitous circumstance the combination of settings of the nominal 6x HBR scope would yield in focus reticule and target images with corrected parallax at an actual 7.8x actual magnification for my 20/40 (2.0 MOA) visual acuity. I would still be way short of the 12x magnification I would need to "see" the same size target image that the "normal" 20/20 (1.0 MOA) visual acuity person would see let alone the 24x magnification I would need to "see" the same size target image that the lucky 20/10 (0.5 MOA) visual acuity person would be privileged to "see".

Pete in Surry

As a person of advancing age and deteriorating vision I can tell you that for me more magnification yields better shooting (group or score). What I’m looking to do is find the combination of eyeglass lens and scope settings that yield the most useable magnification. As to the HBR 6x restriction, my money would be on the guy with best uncorrected vision with equal experience – both to win the match and to defend that restriction as “leveling the field”.

OK,

Now the real question...

What model scopes do you guys prefer for HBR? I was looking at the Burris, but I already have a springfield 6x that I really like the clarity and x-tra fine x-hair. the adjustments are not that target friendly though.

Opinions?

Ben

Bnhpr

As to scope selection advise I would defer to Al Nyhus (send him a PM - if he isn't at on his way to/from a match he'll probably reply - a very helpful guy) since I've watched him shoot HBR (scary good!) or R. G. Robinett based on his reputation.

Al has been trying to talk me into HBR since that is about the only benchrest competition here in Wisconsin. Some of the Van Dyne good old boys have been good enough to let me try out there rigs but those 6x scopes are not adequate for me at 100 yards and lets not even talk about 200 yards (it was very embarrassing considering I've shot at least respectable at 1000 yards with36x on my heavy bag gun).

My opinion - -

OK,

Now the real question...

What model scopes do you guys prefer for HBR? I was looking at the Burris, but I already have a springfield 6x that I really like the clarity and x-tra fine x-hair. the adjustments are not that target friendly though.

Opinions?

Ben

I have had all the commercially available scopes and I must say it is difficult for me to decide between the Burris and the Sightron. I have a Leupold and a Weaver as well. The leupold has had a .375 dot installed so it is nice now. The weaver I have is ok but the picture through it is smaller than the others; not saying it's bad but it is what it is.

As many know, I have had a couple of Burris' frozen internally that I will try this season. I will be using the others too but I have high hopes with the frozen scopes. If only someone would make a rear mount that had 1/8 clicks in it, we could put scope problems behind us to a large degree.

I believe that the Weaver and the Sightron are no longer being made so they will now become popular, if that is the case. :D

Fred, from my experience

It's the person who has their head screwed on the best who wins. Some of the best HBR shooters depend dearly on their glasses and, like me can't do anything meaningful without them. My eyes were better than 20-20 until age 40. They have been going the other way for the past 23 years.

I don't know at what magnigfication one can see the rings but it would be guite a lot more than 6x. Of course, once in awhile I can just barely see the rings but the picture one sees is so small that it would take a better computer than mine to be able to do anything more than I do now; GUESS. If one can find a good place in the picture to hold on and have them take the dot out, life is good. Of course, everyone wants to find the condition that will allow them to hold DOWNTOWN. ;)

OK,
Opinions?Ben

Hi Ben. Lots of competitors use the Burris HBR scope..either the currenty available HBR2 or the earlier version. The Leupold FX series Hunter Benchrest scopes are another option. As you go up and down the line at a Hunter Benchrest event, you'll see all sorts of 6 power adjustable objective scopes in use: early steel tube T6 Weavers, later Weaver T6's, Leupolds of all variations, Sightrons, Burris, the occasional Lyman....even a few of the very rare Myer 6 Power scopes make an appearance at times.

The main thing is rock solid, repeatable w/e adjustments.

For a new, currently produced scope I'd go with a Leupold or a Burris HBR2.

I've been playing with this one, and although it is quite clear, I am struggling with the w&e, and it is just not up the task, after closer examination.

I ordered a Burris.

You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, my grandfather told me.

Ben

Back