advice

H

hogtiming

I am wanting a new benchrest gun and cant decikde between a 6mm dasher or a 6mmXC can I have yals opinion and pros and cons. I want to shoot 600 and 1000yds be egg worthy 3 and 4 hundred yds. Thanks

hogtiming,

The 6 Dasher is much more accurate than an XC. You should also consider a straight 6 BR. Some would say that the extra velocity of the Dasher helps at 1K but I think it is probably a wash and the BR gives match accuracy with virgin brass and a little more barrel life than the Dasher. Either is a great choice.

Sam Hall discusses the various 6's on the 6mmBR.com site Daily Blog.

Greg

:D The Dasher is far more accurate in the Benchrest game than the 6XC. Not sure why. But you only see a few of them in the eqiupment list. The Dasher is a proven winner. I love mine. :cool:

:D The Dasher is far more accurate in the Benchrest game than the 6XC. Not sure why. But you only see a few of them in the eqiupment list. The Dasher is a proven winner. I love mine. :cool:

Did you ever get your "issues" figured out??? We aren't sure on my end, but Dick said he has been shooting mine half the summer with ZERO problems.:D

Did you ever get your "issues" figured out??? We aren't sure on my end, but Dick said he has been shooting mine half the summer with ZERO problems.:D

Barrel looked ok, just a little carbon, cleaned that up, and lapped barrrel. It was looking very shiny and smooth. I'm thinking it was the brass. The brass I was useing was fired 2x and the primers were falling out when the case hit the table. As far as pressure, I think it was debris on the boltface changeing the headspace. I haven't tried it since.

I put the Bartlein back on for our fun shoot and shot a 4.9 and a 3.3 LG groups. :D

Tod,
I assume you are talking about the Dasher. What did you change or did the problem just go away?

James

Tod,
I assume you are talking about the Dasher. What did you change or did the problem just go away?

James
Yep. The dasher. I have not seen the gun since June. I am not sure Dick found the problem. He said he replaced some parts on the bolt. Ejector?...extractor?....something. I can't remember what he said. Whatever he said it was didn't seem to me what could have been the culprit. But, Like he said....."it's a hell of a lot more than we had to go on before". And it is working!!!!!:D Hope to get it back before to long so my Jr. PETA member can put some food on the table for a change!!;) If not, the 6.5 WSSM should work, also.

Tod

Last edited:
In the replies above, I failed to see where anyone mentions the 6BRX?????
This cartridge has set a couple of the 600 yard records by Larry Isenhower and Mike Davis. It is a simple fire form from Lapua 6BR brass. The BRX shortens the .300" neck of the BR to .200" (approx) and lengthens the body by .100" giving additional capacity. Its a matter of expanding the neck to .257 or .264" then sizing a small portion to hold the bullet. Upon caming the bolt closed, it "jams" against the false shoulder and fire forms beautifully with a full power 6BR load. I just pick a powder that I no longer use (compatable with the 6BR) along with any 6mm bullets that are lying around the shelf and "have at it!" As a matter of fact, I took and older (600 rounds) Border 8.5 twist barrel, cut it to 15" and chambered and fitted it to one of my XP-100 pistols and am fire forming brass for my rifle. It is shooting well under 1" at 300 yards. My buddy put four in 1/2" with one out to make it 3/4". I am using a Brux 8.5" for my 600 yard rifle. By the way, both Larry and Mke use a "no turn" neck. The reamer cuts a .272" neck and the loaded "unturned" brass mic's at .270"
Rich De

In the replies above, I failed to see where anyone mentions the 6BRX?????
This cartridge has set a couple of the 600 yard records by Larry Isenhower and Mike Davis. It is a simple fire form from Lapua 6BR brass. The BRX shortens the .300" neck of the BR to .200" (approx) and lengthens the body by .100" giving additional capacity. Its a matter of expanding the neck to .257 or .264" then sizing a small portion to hold the bullet. Upon caming the bolt closed, it "jams" against the false shoulder and fire forms beautifully with a full power 6BR load. I just pick a powder that I no longer use (compatable with the 6BR) along with any 6mm bullets that are lying around the shelf and "have at it!" As a matter of fact, I took and older (600 rounds) Border 8.5 twist barrel, cut it to 15" and chambered and fitted it to one of my XP-100 pistols and am fire forming brass for my rifle. It is shooting well under 1" at 300 yards. My buddy put four in 1/2" with one out to make it 3/4". I am using a Brux 8.5" for my 600 yard rifle. By the way, both Larry and Mke use a "no turn" neck. The reamer cuts a .272" neck and the loaded "unturned" brass mic's at .270"
Rich De

Because it wasn't one of the choices in the first post....Dasher or XC......He didn't ask about the BRX. I will say, the BRX has kicked my ass a few times, also!!!!

Last edited:
Ted: I did see that, but was just offering another choice which he may or may not have been aware of.;)
Rich De

hogtiming,

I built a 6CX and could not get it to shoot sub 3" at 600 yds. I rebarreled to a 6BRX and set 3 IBS 600 yd records, one being the LG group record 0.749" that was bested last year by Paul Wagner with a 6BRX 0.711". I think just between a few of us the 6BRX has shot 8 to 10 records maybe more. The 6BRX runs the same as the Dasher. Don't over look the in your choice.

Mark Schronce

Terribly sorry I left you off the list of BRX shooters Mark:eek: I guess the fact that you had not been to too many of the Piedmont matches this past year was the reason (CRS)
Richard

Back